Monday, March 26, 2012

Snow, sunshine, and a frugal tip {Garden Journal #2}

After waking up to snow on Monday...



and Wednesday...



and even Thursday last week...



...we were blessed with a couple days of sunshine and warm temperatures -- high 50s (almost 60)!!



In addition to a visit from "Mr. Spring," we also enjoyed the company of my dad and stepmom who were here for a weekend visit. Needless to say, we didn't accomplish much of anything in the garden outdoors. Instead we embraced the gift of time for our kids with their grandparents -- Daniel and AnnaLynn enjoyed a long five mile walk with Dan and Grandpa (lots of relationship cultivation can happen on a long walk...).  :)



I did manage to finally sort through our old seed packets and discarded those older than 2011 -- leaving me with seeds for romaine lettuce, peas, spinach, and two types of beans. I also pulled my trusty copy of Square Foot Gardening off the shelf (this copy I have on sort of a permanent loan from my dad -- thanks, Dad!) and reread chapter 6: Garden Planning -- What and When to Plant . This week's reading will be Chapter 10: Starting Plants from Seed. I don't know about you, but I always benefit from a little refreshing of my mind as I move from winter hibernation into the gardening season. :)



On Saturday we planted some seed from each of these packets and used a spray bottle to gently moisten the soil without disturbing the seeds.




And here they sit on our plant growing stand (another semi-permanent loan only this time from my brother) which Dan cleaned off and brought indoors for me. We have lots of room for more starts...



While we're patiently waiting for our romaine and spinach to sprout and grow, we're nursing these lettuce starts my dad gave us. I should've written down the variety, but I didn't, so, Dad, if you read this, please leave a comment with the name! (And you have no excuse since I showed you how...) :)



Lord willing, our nicer weather will continue (and the snow will stay at higher elevations) this week allowing us to get busy working the soil in our raised beds so that these starts can be placed in the garden along with some pea seeds.

And lest you were beginning to think I'd forgotten about sharing my frugal tip, here it is: Rather than purchasing plastic tabs to label your seedlings, simply cut an empty yogurt or sour cream container or two into strips and there you go. Couldn't be easier.



Happy gardening,

Lisa :)

Sharing with:

Simple Lives Thursday and...

PhotobucketOur Simple Farm

8 comments:

  1. always fun to get started.
    glad to see your weather is a bit warmer...

    I have the same copy of sq ft garden - I borrowed the updated version from the library, it has a few more things, but not much different; at least for me, not worth the $ to upgrade.

    Relationships are always good, especially that grandparent one, most important!

    LOVE that plant stand -

    Blessings
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I never even considered looking at the library for the newer edition; the old one has worked just find for us over the years, so I'll leave the new one there for others to check out. :) Isn't the plant stand great? My brother is an avid gardener, but he loaned it to us as he's not in a situation to be doing much gardening these days. Blessings, ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  2. Love your frugal tip; I'll be using that one! Is your seed starting stand purchased or did your husband make it? I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, Our plant stand is on loan from my brother who hasn't been in a position to do much gardening the past couple of years. I keep hoping for his sake that that changes, but I wonder what we'll do when he wants it back! Thanks for stopping by, ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  3. I just wanted to tell you how much I like your blog! I found you from following Ginny at Small Things. I have already made your apple streusel muffins twice - yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie, Welcome to our little corner of the blogosphere. So glad you're enjoying our muffin recipes! Last year we shared a new one every Monday, but this year we're only posting a new one ever other week to allow for other types of posting (one can only spend so much time blogging...).

      Blessings! ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  4. Anonymous3/26/2012

    Lisa The tag that comes with the lettuce starts IDs them as French crisp.In the Territorial seed catalog they list 3 in this group,but dont put them out on the racks.You would have to order them or drive to Cottage Grove,in either case too much money.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...