Monday, April 23, 2012

Cinnamon Sourdough Muffins {Muffin Monday}

Welcome to the 60th edition of Muffin Monday!

Since you'll need some sourdough starter to bake today's recipe, here are a few links to get you started:

My very first starter recipe which is ready in two - five days
My current starter recipe (this one takes several weeks to be ready)
Here are some tips and links to sourdough helps

Getting a starter going is truly not difficult -- really, it's quite easy. If you enjoy the tangy flavor of sourdough, I hope you'll give today's recipe a try. Bon appetit!



Cinnamon Sourdough Muffins
makes 12

1 c. active sourdough starter
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 t. real vanilla
1/4 t. sea salt
1.5 t. cinnamon
1/4 c. melted butter or coconut oil
1/3 - 1/2 c. honey (raw is best)
1 t. baking soda

For fresh sourdough muffins first thing in the morning:

You'll need to combine the flour and sourdough starter before heading off to bed. Stir one cup of each together in a medium bowl; scrape down the sides of the bowl, cover it with plastic wrap, and leave it to rise on your kitchen counter over night (at least seven hours). [edit -- I use a fairly "wet" starter; if yours is on the drier side, add some water, maybe a teaspoon at a time, to combine flour and starter, but not too much as this mixture should be thick (you'll be adding other liquids later on).]

In the morning it should look like this:

 

In the morning when you're ready to bake, either grease muffin cups with coconut oil or line with paper baking cups and preheat your oven to 400F. Measure and stir the remaining ingredients except baking soda together in a separate bowl until combined; add this mixture to the flour/sourdough starter mixture and stir well.

[Just so you know, you don't have to proceed exactly when the seven hours are up; the seven hours rising/soaking time allows for the phytates in the flour to be neutralized allowing for ease of digestion as well as absorption of the minerals in the grain. Bake in the morning as it fits into your personal schedule, just be sure to allow for that initial seven hours of soaking time. Keep in mind, however, that the longer you wait, the more "tangy" your sourdough muffins will be.  :)]

 

Finally, sprinkle the baking soda over the batter and whisk it in...

 

As the baking soda does its magic, your batter will will quickly bubble and rise.

 

Fill your prepared muffin pan with batter (we like to use an ice cream scoop). Bake for 15 - 20 minutes; check muffins with a toothpick to be sure they're done.

 


Of course, you can start these in the morning to bake in the afternoon; after determining what time you'd like to bake, simply count backward seven hours to allow for the seven hours of soaking time.

Our recipe inspiration can be found here. For more info on why anyone would go to this much trouble to bake a muffin, check out this article on the health benefits of baking with sourdough. And if you're still interested and want to read even more about phytates, click here

Happy baking!

Visit our Muffin Monday page for more tasty muffin inspiration. :)

Sharing with:

Homestead Barn Hop
Teach Me Tuesday
Hearth & Soul Blog Hop
Whole Foods Wednesday
Day2day joys
Simple Living Wednesday
Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways
Deep Roots at Home
Homestead Helps Wednesday
Pennywise Platter
Simple Lives Thursday

25 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness...they look just delicious :)
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy-looking as ever, Lisa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. Definitely trying these. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm! Those look yummy!

    This is my first visit to your blog! Hope you have a lovely week!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Sarah, so glad you dropped by! Wishing you a blessed week, too,

      ~Lisa

      Delete
  5. I had no idea the that you could make muffins with sourdough, nor did I realise how good it was for you! Thank you for another wonderful post, and another wonderful muffin. As I've mentioned before, I love cinnamon so these are right up my street. It's amazing you and AnnaLynn have blogged 60 muffin recipes as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April, there is so much that can be baked using sourdough. While it is time consuming, we do enjoy the both the flavor and the healthy benefits, so it's worth it from time to time to bake these. Thanks for your kind, encouraging words! ~Lisa

      Delete
  6. So excited to find your recipe, Lisa. This will be a great way to use my starter :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never would have thought to use a starter in quick breads. Great post! Thanks for sharing with Healthy 2Day Wednesday; come back next Wednesday to see if you were featured!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katie, Anne, and everyone else, Thanks so much for taking the time to share some comment love. :) Happy baking! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do muffin monday for our organization's interns each week and tried these as a way to get rid of my overflowing starter. They each ate 3 or 4 muffins and were still looking for more! Definitely a keeper, thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad this recipe worked for you and that your interns enjoyed the muffins! Thanks for taking the time to let us know, Cayla. Blessings to you, ~Lisa

      Delete
    2. I want to make these muffins but when I mix the starter with the flour, there is no moisture for it to bubble up. It is very, very dry. My starter is the San Francisco sour dough starter. Could that be the problem? Please help. Thanks, T. Hardy

      Delete
    3. My suggestion would be to add a small bit of water, maybe a teaspoon at a time, until the flour/starter mixture is well blended. Hope this helps! Much success to you and happy baking! ~Lisa

      Delete
  10. I made my first sourdough starter this week and this was the first recipe I tried. I thought the starter and flour was too stiff but I added just a little water and it rose beautifully overnight. It was a little challenging to mix the other ingredients in the flour mixture but the end result was delicious! I will try your other versions too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth! Thanks for taking the time to comment. :) It seems that different starters have more or less moisture to them which accounts for the "stiff" start to this recipe (the commenter before you had the same issue). I'll plan to update the recipe to include the "add a little water" tip you've both shared -- thank you! So glad you stopped by! Happy, healthy baking, ~Lisa

      Delete
  11. Really failed the first time. I think my starter was just way too dry. I should have added a bit more water I do not think I had enough sponge action. I went ahead and tried but they came out too heavy and I feel should have been lighter. I will continue with this recipe and try it again. :) thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry you've not had success with this recipe! It is never nice to have good ingredients go to waste. :( Third times the charm? Happy baking, ~Lisa

      Delete
  12. Thank you for your wonderful site, I am enjoying it. Happy Homemaking Sue

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this wonderful site, Happy Homemaking I will check in often
    Thanks Sue

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved these muffins, they came out perfect, I had to use sugar instead of honey because we were all out and my starter was a little dry and I definitely had to add more water almost as much as the flour called for in the recipe but right after the baking soda went in I threw in some apple pieces and lemon zest. Also added some almond milk to the egg and sugar mix! Wonderful recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous4/04/2014

    Baked this for our family... really good! Thank you ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous4/10/2014

    I mixed the starter and flour up the afternoon before I baked (the next morning) and was worried they'd be too tangy, so I put the bowl in the fridge before going to bed. In the morning, I pulled it out and let it warm up a little (but not to room temp like I should have). I mixed all the stuff in anyway and it was harder to mix since the dough was cool, but came together. The baking soda didn't bubble, but they rose nicely in the oven and look just like your pic. The insides had a few sourdough chunks that weren't incorporated (my fault for not letting it come to room temp before mixing). All things considered I will definitely try this recipe again as it was quite easy and seems very forgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Please give these another try! You won't be disappointed! :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...