Wednesday, April 4, 2012

On my needles... {poncho, poncho}



Still working on AnnaLynn's poncho; just a few more ends to weave in and then tassels to attach to the front and back and it will be ready for her to wear to church on Easter morning. As you can see in the picture, I've started a second poncho, only this one is for me. I'm crocheting it using a cotton blend yarn I recently acquired by ripping apart a quality name-brand sweater purchased at the Goodwill. (That was a mouthful!)

Lessons at Blackberry Inn was a thoroughly enjoyable read -- I finished it during the early hours of last Sunday morning when my insomnia came to call. A couple quotes I hope you will appreciate:

Musing over the sermon her pastor preached that morning, Carol muses,
"A man's heart plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps" (Proverbs 16:9). He preached that it is wrong to adopt the secular notion that a thing called fate determines events or that God collaborates with fate somehow. He was giving us a bigger concept of God. Everything is determined by God's infinite wisdom and goodness, he preached. Our lives are not the product of fate or the result of capricious chance. We are guided by the all-knowing, all-loving, all-powerful, holy, and just God. Our days have been ordered for us. Our lives are in His caring hands. That's why one name for God is Providence. "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them" (Ephesians 2:10).
Later Carol muses about home...
A home isn't a house, anyway. A home is a life shared with family, friends, and welcomed strangers--a place to work, rest, worship, play, and grow, a place to laugh and mourn in safety. It's a place where memories are made.
Amen and amen!

I'm also still reading refresher chapters in Square Foot Gardening as well as working my way through Raising Maidens of Virtue, The Backyard Homestead, and Just in Case which I mentioned here. As an update on my knit and crochet goals for the year, I've finished five projects and have four to go! No, the new poncho I'm crocheting isn't on the original list. I know, I know -- tsk-tsk. :)  Like most knitters and crocheters, I rarely create anything for myself, and I decided I needed another quick and relatively easy project before tackling the remaining four. :)

Would love to hear what you're reading and what projects you're working on!

Blessings,

~Lisa

A-Wise-Woman-Builds-Her-HomeOur Simple Farm

18 comments:

  1. I have Lessons at Blackberry Inn on my wishlist. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it!

    I really like the colors on the poncho! Very pretty. I sure wish I could do more than crochet a dishrag! Very smart ripping apart a sweater~LOVE it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the cheapest way to get my hands on quality yarn, my friend. :) Perhaps one day I can give you a lesson...let me know if you're ever in the Yacolt or Amboy area! Blessings, ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  2. I loved seeing whats on your needles. I mentioned what is on my needles today but tomorrow I will give another post showing and going into what I have learned from making my head kerchief. Never thought the Lord what teach me a spiritual lesson through knitting it. [o=

    I love love love those ponchos! I can see why you wanted one too. [o= I think I will have to consider making one soon.

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Mary. :) Can't wait to read what you've been learning...there's a lesson for us in everything if only we are open to it.

      Blessings, ~Lisa

      Delete
  3. Wow! what a beautiful poncho! please do another post when it's completely finished, I'd love to see it with tassels. And how clever of you to make one for yourself using recycled yarn!! Lessons at blackberry inn definitely sound worth a read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Emma. :) I hope to take pictures on Easter morning before leaving for church and will share next week. Blessings, ~Lisa

      Delete
  4. Found you via Small Things Yarn Along :)

    The colours in the poncho are absolutely perfect for Easter! I keep trying to remember to check the thrift stores for sweaters to re-purpose! Thanks for inadvertently reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be of help. :) Thanks for the sweet comment, Claire. Welcome to my little corner of the world; so glad you stopped by!

      Blessings, ~Lisa

      Delete
  5. Love the poncho! Can't wait to see yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shara. :) Mine is slower going that my daughter's...the yarn is a light worsted, and I'm using a "g" hook rather than the "I" that I used for hers. I'm also making adjustments to the pattern as I go so that it's not so flared and pointy. We'll see. Blessings! ~Lisa

      Delete
  6. I love the ponchos~ I have a couple of sweaters that I need to disassemble for yarn. I think it's fabulous that your took a rabbit trail to create something for yourself!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Debbie. Thanks, too, for the rabbit trail encouragement. :) ~Lisa

      Delete
  7. So cute ponchos! Sometimes insomnia leads us to beautiful places, does it not? I don't get frustrated by it any more. Just put on the tea kettle, pick something herbal-y and relaxing to brew, and wait for God to speak to me :-)

    I am in "geriatric land" these last couple of weeks...even my 12 y.o. dog is getting in on the act! I am very overwhelmed with tasks, and can't see straight. Would appreciate prayers! Needles are still unused...they're calling me, but I can't get to them yet. :-(

    {{{HUGS}}},
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will keep you in my prayers! Many, many nights I've spent in prayer, "Ok, Lord, you have my attention..." Hope you're able to pick up your needles soon, my friend.

      ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful ponchos, Lisa. I just finished crocheting a shawl for my youngest daughter, and am now working on one for me. However, I doubt that it will be finished in time for Easter Sunday as our grandsons are coming for the week-end. *happy dance* :)
    Hope you and yours have a blessed Resurrection Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Lisa. Hope you share your handwork over on your blog; would love to see what you've created! I have no aspirations of having my poncho done for Easter morning; Anna's will be, and for that I'm thankful. :)

    Blessings!
    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your daughter's poncho. The colors just keep looking better the bigger the poncho gets! I love the idea of frogging a sweater for yarn...nice one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks, Heather! I know what you mean about the colors...I've really enjoyed this project (and I love making things for my kiddos, anyway). Blessings! ~Lisa

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...