Saturday, May 26, 2012

A fresh look for my porch...a simple hanging basket tutorial {& my favorite flowers for filling them: Million Bells}

Since our front porch faces south and has full exposure to the heat of the summer sun, million bells are my favorite flowers for hanging baskets. Aren't they gorgeous?

[image source]
[image source]
Not only are these sun-loving beauties abundant bloomers, they are truly the lowest-maintenance annuals I've ever grown. Since seed is currently not available, these need to be purchased in 4" pots at your local nursery; be forewarned, though, that they are a little spendy. BUT, if you're looking for easy-care flowers that will bloom all season long (until your first frost), these are definitely worth it! Imagine, no deadheading! And the only maintenance note to be aware of is that too wet of a soil will cause root rot -- be sure to allow the top of the soil to dry between watering and you'll avoid this problem. And just in case you need another reason to try these this year, hummingbirds love them.  :)

To prepare your hanging baskets for this year's plants, you'll need to remove any dried stems and roots from the previous year's plants and loosen up the soil.



Remove half of the depleted soil and replace it with compost and some fertilizer (amounts vary depending on the size of your container).



Stir everything together until well-combined before adding your new plants and water gently. I always allow my transplants to enjoy a little time in the shade before moving them into the sun as it seems to help with transplant shock.



Finally, hang your baskets and enjoy!


Happy gardening!

~Lisa

Thanks for dropping in! I hope your visit to Dole Valley has been a blessing and encouragement. :)  Won't you join me? Look to the upper right to follow or subscribe.

15 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the great tutorial! I will have to try this out next year. No funds in the garden fund this year. I love flowers but I NEED easy car and this sounds so it. ((happy dance))

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    I hope to hear all about your Saturday happenings soon. [o=

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easy care to be sure! These are my one splurge buy since I can't get seed for them; I'm hoping to take some cuttings so I won't have to purchase new ones next year. Have a great weekend! ~Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, Lisa! Plants are looking great, and your tutorial is very nice. Love that you use organic potting soil. I must look for those beauties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you're able to find these locally, Pamela; you'll love them!

      Blessings!

      Delete
  4. Hi. . . my, I feel blessed to have found your blog. We have so many of the same interests, and I just purchased a hanging basket just like the one in your tutorial and was trying to decide want would be the best way to plant it. Thank you. I am your newest follower, and I would love to send you a warm and friendly invitation to visit my blog and hopefully to follow me, too. You have a lovely blog. Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Connie. :) You're quite the crafter! Wish I had such an eye for taking what's old and making it new. Hope you enjoy the million bells, if you pick some up, that is. Many blessings, ~Lisa

      Delete
  5. I just planted Nasterniums from seed in my hanging baskets. I can not wait to see them trail down the baskets...

    Yours add such a pretty look to your porch.

    Peace be with you today,

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria. :) Enjoy those flowers, my friend!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful! How do you think they would fair in the summer heat in the South?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shara! So sorry for not getting back to you sooner on this. I looked this up and found that Million Bells are hardy through zones 9a - 11b which I believe are the hottest regions in the U.S. You could always check with your local nursery to see if they carry them which would be a good indicator! Let me know if you do give them a try!

      Blessings, ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  7. So pretty, Lisa! Your porch looks VERY inviting...I could relax in that chair with a glass of ice tea and be totally blissful!

    Blessings,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! Yep, that chair is indeed a great place to enjoy a glass of whatever sounds good. :) I spend a lot of time knitting and reading in that exact spot during the summer -- can't wait!

      Blessings, ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  8. great tutorial! love working with those flowers!

    debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Debbie. :) Happy gardening!

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...