Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Enjoying spring blooms, kittens, and the fruit of our labor {Garden Journal #8}

The forget-me-not, alyssum, bearded iris, lilies, Japanese iris, and one vibrant pink rhododendron in our perennial flower bed are all putting on quite a show this year; I don't think I've ever enjoyed such a gorgeous display! An abundance of foxglove are just coming on, so the late spring show isn't over by a long shot. :)




Our back yard, however, is need of a little help. Maybe a lot of help is more like it. :)


So the husband and son built a few new raised beds...


...and the husband filled them with some nice four-way from a local nursery. In the rain. He loves me. :)


A variety of herbs went into these new beds, but I don't have a picture to share today (how did that happen?). Instead you get to see more of my husband's handiwork...



Our meat chickens are enjoying being out on the green spring grass, and our kittens are enjoying their kitten chow. :)

Too cute!

Us? We're enjoying the first fruits of our labor...


...and looking forward to the harvest to come.


Garden and homestead plans from three weeks ago:
  • Bring in a load of soil to amend an area where some of our flower bed plants will (eventually) be moved. (We put this off since it's too late to divide and move our perennials; we'll get to this early in the fall, Lord willing.)
  • Build a larger brooder for our pullets and meat birds (will post on chickens soon).
  • Purchase some shade cloth in hopes of prolonging our lettuce growing season.
  • Install a cloche for our cherry tomato bed and transplant seedlings out to the garden!!
  • Plant more peas.
  • Plant early corn
  • Decide on a name for our "farm": We decided on "Dole Valley Farm!"
In addition to the above, we got a great deal on a cord and a half of seasoned firewood, so we added to our stock for next fall and winter (one can never have too much firewood!).


And Dan played the pyro on our massive burn pile (six years worth...it was about time to be sure!).


Garden and homestead plans for this week:
  • Replant cucumber and pickling cucumber seed (our first planting failed).
  • Finish laying down newspaper and straw to keep the weeds in our garden down. (By the way, this method has been 90 - 95% successful, so we highly recommend it!)
  • Put netting over our strawberry bed to keep the birds out (strawberries are close!).
  • Bend and install EMT (electrical metallic tubing) and netting over our new herb beds to keep out the deer.
  • Whatever else Dan decides to tackle next...now that the garden is mostly in, we can turn our attention to other projects like the back yard...I'm dreaming of a pretty view out my kitchen window. :)
    I know I've promised a chicken post, but I never got to it, did I? Maybe later this week, but please don't hold it against me if I don't. :)

    Hope you're enjoying the fruits of your labor and would love to hear what's happening in your gardens. Here in the Pacific Northwest the weather has been cool and a bit rainy, so things are a tad slower to grow here than elsewhere. Summer's coming, though, and we're looking forward to it!

    Happy gardening,

    ~Lisa

    I hope your visit to Dole Valley has been a blessing and encouragement--thanks for joining us on our journey! To follow or subscribe, look to the upper right. :)


    Sharing with Ginny's Saturday Garden Journal, Simple Lives Thursday
    and...

    Gallery of FavoritesPhotobucket

    16 comments:

    1. Wow! You guys have been so busy! Everything looks lovely (even the back yard because there's nothing quite like having a dream for something).

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks, Shara! I like your attitude and will have to adopt it! ~Lisa

        Delete
    2. Glad to see the garden is coming along. And cute kittens. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks for visiting, Jenn. Hope you're having a good week! ~Lisa

        Delete
    3. You're doing better than we are over here in the Palouse region of WA. It's still too cold to get the gardens in proper. My herbs are happy for the most part but I haven't been brave enough to get out the starts. I had hoped to do it last weekend but last night the temp dropped to the 30's, crossing my fingers that the weather gets and stays warm this weekend (and on) so we can get the plants out for the season.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. 30s? Oh my. We've had cool nights (down into the 40s), but nothing like you've had. Hope you're able to get your starts outside soon! Thanks for visiting, Sara. :)

        ~Lisa

        Delete
    4. Looks like you have a lot under your belt already this season! Your veggie garden is fabulous! Stopping by from the Tuesday Garden party.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks for dropping in, Barb, and thanks, too, for the kind words. :)

        Delete
    5. Oh dear, my sad, sad garden beds. Last year I had a little 2' x 2' patch of violas volunteer in one bed. I didn't have the heart to evict them so they just got buried under the tomato plants. This year the entire bed is full of them. The girls and I are going to transplant them around the yard. That's it. That's what is growing in my garden! I need to get busy!!

      Blessings, Debbie

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Happy viola transplanting, Debbie!

        Delete
    6. Oh, my farmgirl-heart is just going a-pitter-pat!!! What a lovely tour, thank you so much for sharing of your lovely farm! I am so sucked into the suburban rat-race, it's difficult this year. Hopefully I can extract myself and slow it down soon.

      Blessings and {{{HUGS}}},
      Lori
      PS: Still dreaming about lavendar soap...if you have a mind to make 5 or 10 bars without knitting the cloths that usually go with them, you have a customer :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm making soap today, Lori...just for you, my friend. :)

        Delete
    7. I have literally just got my seedlings planted - I finished last night! My flower garden needs some serious attention though. The weeds are threatening to take over. Your garden looks gorgeous - the flowers are stunning. I so enjoyed your photographs, and those kittens are so cute!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks for visiting, April. :) I understand you're having a cool spring over in England (I keep track of the weather since my daughter's over there, you know...), so I'm sure you're right on time with your seedlings. Some of ours went out into the garden a little too early (tomatoes & basil), and I'm not sure they'll make it. Gardening is lots of work, but so worth it!

        Delete
    8. I am in limbo this summer. We are buying a house and moving this summer, so I have planted only a portion of our garden. I have enjoyed living vicariously through your photos!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Wishing you a happy move, Alea! A little garden is better than no garden. :)

        Delete

    Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...