Monday, June 4, 2012

Strawberries & Cream Muffins {Muffin Monday}



If we had to pick a favorite muffin, these would be it. Honestly, if you've not tried any of our muffin recipes, you simply must bake up at least one batch of these. Over the past couple of weeks, we've made these three four times and took a double batch to church with us yesterday; I don't think we've ever heard as many kind words about our muffins as we heard about these.  :)  

Our recipe is based on one quickly scribbled down out of a magazine (so long ago that I can't remember the source) with our usual healthier-version substitutions; not only did we reduce the sugar, we added an entire extra cup of strawberries because if one cup is good, two has to be better!

Enjoy!!



Strawberries & Cream Muffins
makes 12 amazing muffins :)

2 c. organic strawberries
2 t. lemon juice
1.5 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 c. organic sugar
2 t. aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/3 c. butter, melted
1/2 c. real sour cream
1.5 t. real vanilla
1 egg
powdered sugar (optional) for topping :)

*To avoid confusion, please note that the following photos represent a double batch. 

Preheat oven to 400F and line muffin tin with paper baking cups. Slice strawberries into a large measuring cup or bowl and stir in lemon juice; set aside.


Measure flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda into a large bowl and whisk to blend; set aside.


Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat.


Measure sour cream and vanilla into a medium bowl; add egg (ignore the second egg unless you decide to make a double batch, too).


Whisk wet ingredients together before slowly whisking in the melted butter.


Add sour cream mixture to dry ingredients...


Fold together until only a small amount of flour remains...


Then add strawberries and...


...gently fold to combine.


Fill muffin cups with batter.


Bake in preheated oven about 15 minutes or until lightly browned; check with a toothpick to be sure they're done.


Cool for five minutes in muffin pan before removing to a wire rack to finish cooling.


Lightly sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired -- makes them look pretty, no?


Bon appetit!

~Lisa

Visit our Muffin Monday page for more tasty muffin inspiration!

I hope your visit to Dole Valley has been a blessing and encouragement--thanks for joining us on our journey! To follow or subscribe, look to the upper right. :)

~~~~~

Sharing today's recipe with:
Full Plate Thursday
Pennywise Platter
Simple Lives Thursday
Whole Foods Wednesday
Hearth & Soul Hop
Teach Me Tuesday
Far Above Rubies
Mouthwatering Monday

16 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness...I am trying these!!!

    m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness; those look delicious! I will have to add them to my recipes to make this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look FABULOUS!!! I pinned them to make the next time I get a batch of strawberries. :-)
    Visiting from Penniless Parenting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing! I promise, you'll love these. :)

      Delete
  4. Yummy! Pinned these and plan to make them with my girls this afternoon!
    Visiting from Growing Home.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very welcome, Keri! Thanks for visiting! ~Lisa

      Delete
  5. 2 cups is DEFINITELY better than one! YUMMY :-) These look and sound delicious, Lisa - thank you so much for linking them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for leaving such a sweet comment, Rachel. :)

      Delete
  6. Yummmmmy. I am totally trying these. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love muffins with sour cream in them and the addition of lemon juice sounds so fresh. I would if you would share this on my foodie friday party today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These muffins look really delicious, the sour cream would be a great addition. Now all I need is my coffee. ;) Thank you for sharing this on Hearth & Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your strawberries and cream muffins are gorgeous, Lisa! I would definitely make a double batch of these! Hopefully I'll be able to get some strawberries soon after I get home so I can give them a try :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for all the kind words, ladies! Thanks for visiting, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...