Friday, June 29, 2012

Strawberry picking...

Since the strawberries in our berry patch are taking their own sweet time to ripen, we took advantage of a rare day of sunshine last week to visit a local berry farm with the daughter/sister-in-law. :)

Daniel and AnnaLynn enjoyed the warm welcome they recieved...





The berry picking went amazingly quick -- we filled six buckets with a combination of Benton and Shuksan strawberries in less than half an hour. It felt so good to soak up some vitamin D while enjoying ourselves.



I wore my new Muck shoes which Dan found -- brand new -- at the Goodwill!! Love that man. :)



Christina snapped this shot of the kids with her phone. Technology amazes me.




And when we got home? We made strawberry jam, of course! Next week, Lord willing, I'll share the low-sugar method I was excited to find.

Have a terrific weekend!

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

16 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun day! Glad you got to enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It WAS a fun day!! Thanks for visiting, Jenn. :)

      ~Lisa

      Delete
  2. I can't wait until my kids are old enough for a day like this. Also looking forward to your recipe. I made some jam last week and it tastes ok but looks sort of funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They grow up so quickly! We really do have lots of fun together. :) Hopefully, I'll get the jam post up on Tuesday or Wednesday. I couldn't believe how good it turned out and how little sugar!

      Blessings, ~Lisa

      Delete
  3. Those strawberries look so plump! Yummy!

    Love you,
    Jess~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait til we can do things like this together again. :)

      Delete
  4. The berries look great! When I see commercial growers and the quality and quantity they get from the plants makes me scratch my head and wonder just how do they do that. Maybe someday I'll figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And when you do, I hope you'll share!

      Delete
  5. Those look really nice, where did you get them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeremy, We picked berries at Vista View Farms in La Center (263-6886). Hope you make it out there; it's a smaller farm and only $1 per pound if you pick 10 pounds or more!!

      Delete
  6. I must say, all of you are quite quick to pick so many berries in a short amount of time. Looks like you had fun as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mara, the berries were so large and abundant, it couldn't help but go so quickly! I actually wished it had taken longer since we were enjoying ourselves so much!

      Hope you've been enjoying your blog-break, my friend. :)

      ~Lisa

      Delete
  7. That looks like family fun! I love strawberry jam so I'm looking forward to the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family fun indeed!

      Shara, thanks so much for sharing your baked beans recipe; can't wait to try them. :)

      ~Lisa

      Delete
  8. Lisa, how fun! Looks like a great day for you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela,

      It truly was a terrific day. I know the rest of the country has been enjoying summer (and maybe a little too much of summer with all the heat I've been hearing about), but we're having a season just like last year where we're stuck in a cool, wet trend and have only had a few days above 70. Enjoying even one day outdoors in the sun was wonderful!! I know that once it gets hot later in August, I'll be wishing for these cooler temps. :)

      Blessings, ~Lisa

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...