Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Casting on, Plowing in Hope, and some fine alpaca... {on my needles}

Things tend to get busy around here in August with the garden, so I've been spending much of my time making jam, freezing vegetables, and working on our herb garden. Add moving Jeff & Christina (son #2 and his lovely bride) in for a season and getting away to celebrate our 20th to the mix, and it's easy to see how my hook and needles have sat idle for weeks.

While on our anniversary weekend escape in the Columbia River Gorge, we visited an alpaca farm / yarn shop near Hood River where I picked up a few skeins for future projects. Wish you could feel how soft this yarn is...



Actually, the yarn on the left (the Sanibel) was purchased at Knot Another Hat (a yarn shop in downtown Hood River). I've cast on a simple ribbed scarf for myself and look forward to working on it during read aloud time when we start back to lessons next week.



Just picked up Plowing in Hope by David Bruce Hegeman last evening and am hooked. Will share more as I read, but will leave you with this quote:
Whether beautiful or repulsive, uplifting or destructive, the effects of human habitation are everywhere to be seen across the whole surface of the earth. We call these durable effects of human habitation "culture."
What have you been reading or creating lately?

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

Sharing with:

Tami's WIP Wednesday and...



9 comments:

  1. That yarn looks scrumptious!!! You can tell when a knitter is talking when they talk about yarn like food, lol.

    I can't wait to see what will become of all that beautiful fibers this fall and winter.

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your yarn looks so soft makes me want to reach out and touch it!

    Sounds like you've been really busy. I find that the busy times sometimes create the best memories. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I love alpaca wool! I can actually feel it through your photo...ahhhhh! I'm looking forward to some knitting time when I return home from my getaway. Life will be soooo different now that both boys are away from home, though Bryan returns in November and I'll be "on call" to help him with the sharpening business and, Lord willing, a farm start-up. Better get knitting fast...!!!

    Blessings,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the color on your needles right now! That's really interesting yarn to have a shimmer in it like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always plan our trips around yarn and quilt shops -- bringing memories home in a bag!
    It's just perfect
    1

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice yarn, I'll imagine the soft.
    Pretty scarf in the making.
    Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can nearly feel how soft that Foothills yarn is by looking at it. It sounds like your garden kept you plenty busy this month.

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy anniversary to you both! The photo of yarn is absolutely drool worthy :) Sounds like you are pretty busy, but I hope you find time to knit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will be attending a fiber festival this upcoming September, and I am truly looking forward to picking up some Alpaca fiber. I am a spinner, so I am really looking forward to the trip. Your yarn looks so luscious Lisa! :)

    Mrs. B....and Happy Anniversary ~ May Our Lord & Savior continue to bless you with many many more years together! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...