Monday, August 6, 2012

Easy Peasy Homemade Ketchup: New & Improved! {Homemade Pantry}

Just a heads up for all you homemade ketchup lovers out there...

Our Easy Peasy Homemade Ketchup recipe has been updated and is now, as they say, "new and improved!"

So what's new?

It's healthier: While simple white vinegar and brown sugar will still work with our recipe, we've switched to raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar [why?] and Rapadura sugar [why?].

The consistency is improved: We doubled the amount of vinegar and upped the water to 1 cup which seems to provide for the perfect consistency.

Like I explained when this recipe was originally posted, I'm a ketchup snob. And while the original form of this recipe received lots of positive feedback, I encourage you to give the new and improved version a try -- you won't regret it. :)

Easy Peasy Homemade Ketchup
makes about 20 oz.

12 oz. tomato paste
1 c. water
1/2 c. vinegar (we recommend organic ACV)
1/2 t. onion powder
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. dry mustard
1/4 t. cinnamon
1.5 t. sea salt
1/8 t. cloves
1/8 t. allspice
1/8 t. cayenne pepper
1/4 c. Rapadura (or plain old brown sugar)

Measure all ingredients into a medium bowl and whisk until blended. The Rapadura will dissolve as you whisk!



Using a funnel, transfer ketchup to a squeeze bottle.



That's it! You can use this easy peasy, delicious ketchup immediately or refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to blend. Either way, you'll never go back to store bought again. :)

Visit our Homemade Pantry page for more "healthier version" ideas -- save money and avoid all those nasty artificial ingredients by making your own!

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

Sharing here:
Hearth & Soul Hop 
Healthy 2day Wednesdays
Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways
Encourage One Another
Whole Foods Wednesday
Simple Lives Thursday
Pennywise Platter

14 comments:

  1. Wow, Lisa~ I love this~ such a great sounding recipe! I'm definitely trying this. Thanks for your (always) good advice and recipes!

    (And by the way~ AnnaLynn did such an amazing job on her pillow--bet you're so proud of her! Way-to-go, AnnaLynn! (And I surely do love your choice of reading material!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the encouraging words, Pamela. :) I sure am proud of my girl and thank you for your encouraging words to her as well! You'll have to let me know if you pick up the Jan Karon book...

      Delete
  2. Today is my "hang out in the kitchen" day...looks like I'll be making some ketchup! This looks great~I love the addition of Rapadura. I've made ketchup before, but mine didn't have all the different spices and seemed to be missing something...which now may be found! Thanks!

    P.S. How did the fair go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, Hope you like this recipe!! Please let me know what you think and/or if you make any seasoning adjustments. I can't imagine tweaking it further as we're so happy with it, but you never know... The fair? Can you say blue ribbon?!! So proud of her!!

      Delete
  3. When I test myself on having tomatoes I will have to test on this! [o= I love love love katchup. I might have to cheat on my diet in the future and have some homemade fries and homemade katchup. ((grin))

    Thank you sooooooooooo much for sharing all your wonderful recipes with us. ((HUGS))

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can not imagine life without ketchup. :) Although you aren't able to currently enjoy this recipe due to your allergies, I thank you for your kind words of encouragement, Mary!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for posting this on Healthy2Days Wednesdays - I will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. we are a ketchup family, as well. especially me and my daughter! your recipe sounds really easy. I might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! What a healthy option!

    Stopping by from Whole Food Wednesday (my recipe is #46).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know that most ketchup is sold in plastic bottles, but don't you think that the acids in tomatoes would cause some sort of leaching of the chemicals in the plastic into the ketchup--BPA free or not? Estrogens leach into water int plastic bottles, and water isn't even acidic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something to consider, indeed. On the journey to healthier eating and food preparation, we're all at different stages of learning and of progress. One change we've made is to avoid placing hot food/leftovers into plastic containers; we're slowly, as we're financially able, replacing our plastics with glass. This journey is a long one, and we're taking it one step at a time. I appreciate your taking the time to comment and share your concern! ~Lisa

      Delete
  8. I love homemade ketchup. I have a recipe very similar to this, but I actually use honey. You can't really tell that it is honey, but it is SOO good. I am curious about the flavor brown sugar would add... maybe I could do this with brown sugar or a little molasses in addition to the honey next time.

    Thanks for linking up to Healthy 2day Wednesaday. Hope to see you back next Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8/14/2012

    I made ketchup last night similar to this, minus the garlic and onion. I was thinking "this is great but needs garlic and onion", haha. I used raw honey and added 2 T. liquid whey to lacto-ferment it. It was SO GOOD, my kids kept dipping fingers into the bowl! I can't imagine buying ketchup now, this is just so easy and tasty to do at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to try adding some whey next time I make a batch; if it doesn't change the flavor, I'll be happy to improve the health factor of our homemade ketchup even more! Thanks for commenting. :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...