Monday, September 24, 2012

April's Mom's Lemon Blueberry Muffins {Muffin Monday}



Today I'm excited to be sharing a recipe from April who blogs at The 21st Century Housewife. Actually, and as the name of this muffin suggests, this was originally April's mom's recipe, so I'm doubly honored by her kindness in allowing me to share it here with you. Be sure to click on over [here and here] where you can read April's musings about using her mom's recipes. :)  Thanks so much, April!!

Of course, you might be thinking "why lemon and blueberries now that it's fall?"

Well, if you, like I did, filled your freezer with blueberries this summer, you might want a fresh idea of how to use some of them.

Or...

You might grow tired of all things pumpkin after a while. [Don't grow too weary of them, though; next week's muffin is--you guessed it--pumpkin!] April's recipe included a streusel topping to which you could add a pinch of cinnamon, but I promise you these are delicious and low sugar just the way they are. Enjoy!



April's Mom's Lemon Blueberry Muffins
makes 12 delicious muffins!

1/4 c. butter, softened (or substitute coconut oil)
1/3 c. organic sugar
1 egg
1 t. real vanilla extract
1 c. cultured buttermilk
1 1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 T. baking powder (aluminum free, please)
1/4 t. sea salt
zest from one organic lemon
1 c. blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Preheat oven to 350F and either line muffin tin with paper baking cups or lightly grease pan using coconut oil. Measure dry ingredients into a medium bowl, including lemon zest, and stir together with a whisk. To this mixture, add fresh or frozen blueberries and stir to coat; set aside.

In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together using an electric mixer. Add the egg, then slowly incorporate the vanilla and buttermilk. Add the dry mixture to wet mixture and stir with a spoon only until just blended (don't over mix your muffins!).

Evenly scoop batter into prepared muffin cups (April recommends a quick release ice cream scoop, and so do we). Bake muffins for 20 - 25 minutes (ours were done at 20); check with a toothpick to be sure they're done. Cool slightly then remove from pan to cool on a wire rack.

These are truly delicious served warm with a smidge of butter...I guarantee, they won't last long!

Bon appetit!

Visit our Muffin Monday page for more deliciously healthy muffin inspiration!

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

Sharing with the Hearth & Soul Tuesday Blog Hop :)

Growing Home

7 comments:

  1. I for one, do not mind eating blueberries in the Autumn...they are delicious all year round :-D

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look super good! Muffin Mondays just makes me wish that I had an oven in my dorm room. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenn. :) Happy studying!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for featuring my Mom's muffins in your lovely post! Your version looks delicious and I really like how you have made them healthier. I always enjoy Muffin Monday, and I am thrilled to be a part of it :) My Mom would have really enjoyed it as well. Thank you, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, April. :) I forgot to mention it in my post, but using the fresh lemon zest as you suggested in your recipe (rather than lemon extract which is what I normally would do for lemon flavoring) is one of my favorite things about these muffins -- num! Thanks for your kind words and encouragement, ~Lisa

      Delete
  4. Lemon and blueberry? Oh yes, any time of year, thank you very much! And April is a favorite blogger of mine too, so this post is a real winner for me. :) Thanks for sharing on Hearth & Soul Hop. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...