Friday, September 14, 2012

Easy, Healthy, Delicious: Homemade Mayonnaise {Homemade Pantry}



I cannot tell you how happy I am to have finally settled on a homemade mayonnaise recipe my family actually likes! And to get to cross an item off my 2012 kitchen goals list makes me doubly happy. :)

But why, why, why would I go to the trouble to make homemade mayo when it's so easy to pick up a jar at the store?

First of all, let me say that it really isn't any trouble at all -- it's super easy if you have a food processor.

Second, our homemade mayo is delicious. I've tried sooo many recipes and found that we needed one with a mild flavor similar to what is available at the grocery store. Believe me, this is as close to Kraft or Best Foods (Hellman's) as you're going to get. :)

Third, your next batch of our Easy Peasy Buttermilk Ranch Dressing will be healthier!

Healthy & Delicious Homemade Mayonnaise
makes approx. 1.5 cups

1 egg (we recommend local, pastured eggs from a farmer you trust; we raise hens, so we use our own)
1/2 - 1 t. Dijon mustard
1/4 t. sea salt
1.5 T. lemon juice or vinegar (apple cider vinegar is best)
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. onion powder
1 c. expeller pressed sunflower oil
1/2 - 1 T. liquid whey* (optional -- extends the refrigerator life)

Crack egg into a food processor. Add remaining ingredients EXCEPT oil and pulse to blend. Slowly add oil in a small stream with the processor running (use the stream adapter that comes with your food processor if you have one). When oil has fully emulsified, taste mayo and adjust seasonings if needed, pulsing to blend. Store in a closed jar in refrigerator for about 2 weeks without whey, about 2 months with.

*Whey is the liquid on top of your plain yogurt; simply scoop some yogurt onto a piece of cheese cloth and allow whey to drip into a bowl; what remains in the cheese cloth is yogurt cheese which you can use as a cream cheese substitute! Mix it with a little homemade jam for a delicious spread for toast. Store the whey (the liquid that drips into the bowl) in a covered jar in your fridge; according to Ann Marie (Cheeseslave), whey made this way should keep for up to six months. :)

I would love to know what you think if you give this a try! What's next? Thanks to a little nudge from my friend Lori, our homemade cream soup recipe is coming soon, so stay tuned.

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)


Sources:
Whole Foods Wednesday
Healthy Home Economist
An Oregon Cottage
Kelly the Kitchen Kop

Sharing with the Hearth & Soul Tuesday Blog Hop and...

PhotobucketGrowing Homeday2day joys

23 comments:

  1. Good for you :) It looks simple and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, Maria. :) You are always such an encouragement! Have a blessed weekend, ~Lisa

      Delete
  2. You homemade mayo looks good. I'm avoiding all mayo at this point, as it tends to be very high in fat, and the reduced fat mayo doesn't taste very well. Too bad you couldn't send me a small jar of your homemade mayo for me to try. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could send you a small jar, Mara. :) About the fat, one reason homemade mayo is a better choice is that one can control the quality of the oil used (i.e.: using one that is a healthier variety than most commercial mayos). For me, the amount of fat isn't as much issue as is the variety. Thanks for the sweet comment, my friend, ~Lisa

      Delete
  3. I didn't know adding whey would make it last longer. Thanks! I never make it anymore because it would spoil before I could use it all. Definitely going to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shara, you'll have to let me know how it turns out for you! We use quite a bit of mayo around here, so ours never goes bad before it's gone.

      Blessings to you and yours in the coming week! ~Lisa

      Delete
  4. I'm visiting you via the Homestead Barn Hop. I couldn't resist when I saw the title of your post, because making my own mayo has been on my to-learn list forever. I did not know that about the whey and Lord knows I have a ton of it! I will definitely be giving this recipe a try. I appreciate that you make it sound so easy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to leave a comment. :) Please let me know how this turns out for you! By the way, you have a lovely blog which I'm glad to have found as we're getting goats in the spring, Lord willing! Blessings, ~Lisa

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the recipe Lisa. Looks too easy. I've made a copy and will try it soon!
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, you'll have to let me know how you like this when you give it a try!

      Delete
  6. I'm visiting you through the 21st century blog hop. I always wanted to make my own mayo and this looks good with the dijon. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! Hope you enjoy this recipe. :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing with us at Healthy 2Day Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you want and even easier way, try a stick blender. Put all ingredients into the cylinder that came with it, or a tall jar or glass. Plunge the stick blender all the way to the bottom, turn on and pull slowly to the top. You can do another up or down or two. This mayo will not break. Here's a demo:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z_b9CNW7wY

    Love your site and your chicken (Dominique?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try this the next time I make some.

      Delete
  9. Funny, I was just trying to convince my husband we could probably make our own mayo. We'll have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you CAN make your own mayo!! If I did it, anyone can. :)

      Delete
  10. I have never had the courage to make my own mayonnaise, so I'm really encouraged by this post! Your mayonnaise looks just lovely and sounds really flavourful too. It's so much healthier than store bought as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so much better to make your own at home with quality ingredients. Your mayo looks absolutely velvety -- well done! Thanks for sharing on Hearth & Soul Hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this post. Never thought of using my stick blender! Or whey. I love making my own mayo, too. But I do need to wait for sunny weather. Storms or heavy weather prevent the mayo from thickening properly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous6/13/2013

    You mentioned using whey to extend the life of the mayo; I recently saved some of the whey from our yogurt & was wondering how long it would be good in the refrigerator to use in recipes like this one. Any idea? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to Ann Marie over at Cheeseslave, your homemade whey should keep for up to 6 months in the fridge!

      http://www.cheeseslave.com/how-to-make-whey/

      Thanks for stopping by! ~Lisa

      Delete
  14. Oh my goodness - Love the idea of making our own mayo! And your recipe sounds so easy. We don't eat yogurt so is there someplace I can purchase it? I could buy some yogurt in the store I guess, would that work okay?
    I'm thoroughly enjoying your lovely blog. Thank you so much for sharing your life, your time, your knowledge and inspiration. I truly appreciate it! I'm learning so much and I feel encouraged to try new things after reading your blog.
    Happy Day To You ~ Bobbie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...