Tuesday, September 11, 2012

It happened in August... {Gratituesday}

Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks;
for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
~I Thessalonians 5:16-18

How a month can go by so quickly (and here we are a third of the way through September as proof...), I just don't understand. The summer months do seem to fly by, don't they? August always does for us. Celebrating three birthdays and our anniversary while tending to the garden and other homestead duties along with organizing and planning for fall homeschool lessons keeps us (me) busy, to be sure.

In addition to the usual August events was moving Jeff & Christina (son #2 and his lovely bride) in with us for a season. We're praising God for the opportunity to have them here with us while they save for a down-payment for a house. It's been six years (can it be six years?? sigh.) since he left home, so we're happy to have him back if only for a while.   :)

But even in the busyness of our days, life is slow. Feeding the chickens, chopping wood, and continuing to take dominion over this small piece of land we've been blessed with is a joy. The Lord did task Adam with work before the fall, don't you know. If I'd not been so busy living, working, and enjoying all of this, I'd have posted and shared along the way. But, as you know, blogging takes time, and I was just didn't want to miss a single moment!

So, without further ado, here's a peek into our August...

Daniel, Jeff, and Dan turned 14, 24, and 49 respectively :)


Daniel was pretty happy (understatement, to be sure) with his gifts...





Jeff & Christina :)


We stood in line for about an hour for the free pancake breakfast at the Clark County Fair...

...where AnnaLynn and Daniel both earned lots of ribbons for their creative entries...




...AnnaLynn watched the horses--dreaming of the day she'll have one of her own...

...and I had my photo taken with the Obamas.

(silly, I know, but I couldn't resist!)

We enjoyed long, lazy days at the river...




...and celebrated our 20th anniversary!

Dan and I enjoyed a gorgeous, sunny, restful weekend in the Columbia River Gorge...


...where we visited local farms...

...picked apples...

...admired trees...

...and took in the awesomeness of Multnomah Falls.


Sometimes it overwhelms me with how blessed we are--how good we have it. Praise God from Whom all blessings flow!

However many blessings we expect from God, His infinite liberality will always exceed all our wishes and our thoughts.
~John Calvin

I would be remiss if I failed to share that although two of our grown children and their spouses live out of town, we did pour out our hearts in prayer for them throughout the month and missed them terribly. Dan was able to enjoy a get together with out oldest before he returned to WSU in Pullman to continue his pursuit of a veterinary PhD, and daughter #1 moved to Switzerland where her studious husband will be continuing to research and write in pursuit of his D.Phil. from Oxford. Exciting times for them, but we do miss their presence here. In the meanwhile, we praise the Lord for Jeff & Christina's being here and rejoice as Jeff begins his machining career at Boeing next month!

How about you? What are you thankful for today?

~Lisa


Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe.
:)

Join me for April's Gallery of Favorites, Gratituesday at Heavenly Homemakers, and Simple Lives Thursday!

11 comments:

  1. Thankful? For everything, both the pain and the joys that He has given me throughout this past month. You have a very beautiful family Lisa!

    What joy to see Our Lord at work!

    by the way, I had to open a new space and cancel the other one. Too many issues. Here is the link
    http://thywordinmyheartmb.blogspot.com/

    love,

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet comment, Maria. :) The Lord is always working, even when it seems dark; such comfort in that! I'll be over to visit soon, my friend.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful family, dear Lisa. And a belated Happy Anniversary to you and your beloved. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks, Lisa. :) Wishing you and yours a blessed week!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous9/11/2012

    I love AnnaLynn's bathing suit! Where did you find it? I have three daughters and it is such a struggle to find modest bathing suits.

    Thank you!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, This particular swimsuit was a hand-me-down from a friend; however, I've been making AnnaLynn's swimsuits (and have fabric ready to cut out another) using a pattern from a company called Fashionably Modest Patterns. I was going to include a link so you could visit, but it seems that, perhaps, they've gone out of business. Too bad 'cause the swimsuit is really cute and not too difficult to make! Best wishes to you, ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  4. That's right. You're anniversary is in August too. Happy Belated Anniversary!! I hope God gives you many more years together. I laughed when I saw the Steelers gifts your son received. Is it a quilt? I couldn't tell because I just saw fabric. My nephew is getting Steelers booties for Christmas this year, as well as a few other handmade items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The Lord has been quite good to us; 20 years--it's sometimes hard to believe they've gone by so quickly. I thought you'd notice the Steelers gifts. The black one that he's holding is a pillowcase and the yellow is a fleece blanket with solid black backing. I got a great deal on the fabric at JoAnns! So hope to one day take him to a home game at Heinz Field. :)

      Do you have a pattern that you're using for the Steelers booties or just using the colors with an existing pattern? Hope you'll share when you finish!

      Blessings, ~Lisa

      Delete
  5. Lisa,
    I am so glad for these photos of you and your sweet family! I love getting a peek into your world so I can know know you a little better. I love all of it! You have been so busy! My favorites are the prizes on the artwork submitted at the fair and that you got to go the the Columbia River Gorge and spend down time! God bless your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jacqueline, for dropping by and taking the time to leave such a sweet comment. :) Such a blessing that my children have artistic talent and enjoy using their time productively (mostly...). Down time in the Gorge was just what we needed -- we're so thankful for it all! Blessings to you my sister in Christ, ~Lisa

      Delete
  6. I so enjoyed reading this post! What wonderful photographs - it's lovely to have a little glimpse into your life like this. You really do live in such a beautiful part of the world! I'm so happy that things are going so well for you all. Congratulations to Anna Lynn and Dan on all those county fair ribbons, and to you and your husband on your 20th wedding anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...