Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Preserving the harvest... {A long-overdue garden update}

The last time I shared a garden update I lamented how long it had been (five weeks); but since that last post was in July, this one is most definitely overdue...




Started from seed, our first cherry tomatoes finally ripened and made for a delicious addition to a garden salad -- all from our garden except for the lettuce.


Freshly picked green beans sauteed in olive oil with garlic, salt, and pepper...num.

Who can resist an ear of freshly picked corn on the cob (especially when smothered in butter)?

Shredded zucchini for the freezer...

White potatoes cubed and pan fried in coconut oil and seasoned with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, onion, and garlic -- oh my. :)

Dilly beans. :)

Gleaned from my sister's orchard, 59 quart jars of pears now adorn my pantry shelf.

Two of our layers turned out to be roosters...

"Lucky Ned" was discovered sleeping on our drying garlic. :)

Lots of green beans, potatoes, and tomatoes to be harvested this week -- so thankful for the late summer heatwave we're enjoying right now! Pie pumpkins are coming along nicely as are our sunflowers. Fall lettuces and carrots have been planted and are doing well; I never did get fall peas in and am thinking it might be too late; we'll see. Corn has been abundant! I may have enough to put a little in the freezer, but that will depend on how much we eat this week. :)

Too soon it will be time to wrap up the garden for fall and winter, but for now, we're enjoying the bounty and giving thanks to Him who placed man in a garden.

Blessings,

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

Growing Home

Join me for Gratituesday at Heavenly Homemakers...also sharing with April's Gallery of Favorites and Farm Girl Friday

16 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa.
    Do you put cayenne or red pepper in your dilly beans or leave them more on the mild side?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize it doesn't show in the picture, but we like to put dry red peppers in. Sometimes we use cayenne, but mostly the red peppers. I haven't opened a jar of this year's beans yet, but I'm sooo looking forward to it!

      Do you can dilly beans?

      ~Lisa :)

      Delete
    2. No I haven't. Usually we only have enough to eat this year we didn't even have that. My sister in law did though and I traded her for a jar of salsa. She warned me they were spicy.

      Delete
    3. Our beans came on super slow this year (as did much of our garden). We picked a huge bowl of beans yesterday, dug up our potatoes (which did well but not great), and picked enough corn for last night's dinner. Tomatoes are plenty, but they're still so green and I'm just not sure what I'm going to do when the weather turns early next week, since I'm certain they won't like going from this week's 80s & 90s to temps in the 60s. Any suggestions? I've never grown tomatoes before. :)

      Delete
  2. Such a wonderful harvest!!! I would love to can pears like that. Wow! The kids would be thrilled too!!! I am going to have to make a goal of learning to can fruit. Is it difficult? I'm sure it's not any more challenging than tomato sauce. Right? Hope not...

    And thanks for the fantastic idea for our beans tonight! If I get time, they will be sauteed! I was just going to throw them in the crockpot with the chicken, but that looks way yummier to me.

    Take care!
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee, Hope you enjoy the green beans; they're truly delicious this way (and easy, too!). Pears really are easy, just time consuming since you have to peal them... I've not canned tomato sauce, but hope to this week. :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. those raspberries look great! how wonderful to have such a great bounty from your garden.
    I had so many string beans this year, and I wish I had made dilly beans. We ended up sharing them with neighbors, but next year I would like to can some. Will you share your recipe for dill beans?
    They looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, I just posted our dilly bean recipe -- so easy to do! What a blessing to have enough produce to share with your neighbors. :)

      Delete
  4. I just wish we could have harvests here like that...its just different. We can grow tomatoes like crazy but berries are tough. How did the jam come out??? We are driving about an hour from here to go harvest from an orchard some apples...I want to make pies with fresh picked apples...and I think the kids would love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our jam turned out to be so good! I'm thrilled with the pectin we've been using (Pamona's) since it allows for a truly low-sugar jam. The plums and raspberries were free (gleaned from my sister's garden), but we paid for the huckleberries and it was worth it. Wish I could offer samples right here on the blog. :) Enjoy those apples and the pies!!

      Delete
  5. I love your harvest and how you preserve them for later use.I make mixed pickle pickle when I have vegetables in abundance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for the kind words. Filling my pantry and freezer, seeing all the goodness of the summer garden preserved for the cool days of winter gives me such a feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment. :)

      Delete
  6. Hi There! I just came across your blog and absolutely Love it - especially your homemade pantry recipes. I have made some major lifestyle changes this past year. Limiting the amount of processed foods that my daughter & I consume has been one of those changes. I am really enjoying making homemade meals and attempting to make condiments from scratch. I look forward to more great recipes & tips on your blog. Have a wonderful week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Nicole. :) Thanks for the kind words; it's always encouraging to know what we're doing here is a blessing to others! Hope you enjoy our recipes and find ways to create many of your own--tweaking things to satisfy your family's taste buds. :) Blessings!

      Delete
    2. What wonderful bounty you have had from your garden, and your sister's pears look so beautiful too. I especially liked the photograph of "Lucky Ned"! Aren't cats funny?! Our late cat 'boys' used to love olives and garlic. They would never actually eat them, but if they could get hold of them they would play with them and lick them for hours!

      Delete
    3. Cats are so funny, are they not? Olives and garlic?? :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...