Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Sanibel Scarf and Plowing in Hope, pt. 2 {On my needles...}

Slowly making progress on my Sanibel Scarf as I sneak in a row here and there. We're so busy of late that I'll be pleased with any progress I make these days. :) Lord willing, we'll spend tomorrow afternoon at the river (it's supposed to hit 90F!) where I hope to do nothing but sit and knit... In the shade, of course.



Still reading Plowing in Hope and pondering this quote:
The cultural perspective of the OT is one of cultural transparency. Although the nation of Israel was clearly aware of the surrounding pagan cultures, Israel was essentially a closed society and set out (with varying degrees of success) to develop obediently--according to the laws and percepts revealed through Moses and the prophets--the good land God had mercifully give to them. The Israelites did not set out self-consciously to make a Hebrew culture in contrast to  the cultures of the other nations. Rather they focused on being faithful, in order to foster a culture which was fully in agreement with the teachings of Scripture. There clearly was a distinctively biblical Hebrew culture, although the OT covenant community did not spend much time ruminating on this fact as such. [bold emphasis mine]
Any thoughts to share? What have you been reading or creating lately?

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

Sharing with:

Tami's WIP Wednesday and...



8 comments:

  1. Hmmm. That's interesting. I've never thought about that before. Which leads me to the conclusion that by the time Jesus came around, the Israelites had become more focused on the culture that the reason for it. Interesting. Thanks for making me think!

    And I love the way the scarf is turning out. Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, you are welcome! I'm loving this book...so much to chew on. Thanks for the kind words about my scarf. I've since frogged it and have restarted it (will share this Wednesday). Blessings! ~Lisa

      Delete
  2. I have always enjoyed that pattern Lisa :) It is so therapeutic to sit and knit.

    m.b.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Therapeutic indeed, unless, of course, I'm unhappy with the results in which case I rip out the entire thing and start over (which is exactly what I did!). Sigh. Perfectionism isn't pretty... Nor does it accomplish much!

      Blessings to you, ~Lisa

      Delete
  3. row by row is how it gets done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been nominated for an award....come on over and see what for. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shara! What a blessing it is to have met you through the world of blogging. :) I look forward to passing the award on!

      ~Lisa :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...