Monday, October 8, 2012

Hearty Pumpkin Cornbread Muffins {Muffin Monday}




During a recent Internet search for pumpkin muffin recipe ideas, I was intrigued by one I found on the Whole Foods website. Pumpkin and cornmeal? Really? I quickly read through the comments and decided it was worth a try. I did make a few healthy substitutions and added vanilla and cinnamon to up the flavor value (1/2 cup pumpkin by itself isn't exactly bursting with flavor, you know). The result? A slightly sweet, hearty muffin with a subtle pumpkin flavor that's perfect for fall. Our recommendation? Serve warm with butter and a drizzle of honey. These will go perfectly with a warm cup of tea. Enjoy!

Hearty Pumpkin Cornbread Muffins
makes 12 delicious muffins!

1/3 c. coconut oil, melted (or substitute butter)
1/2 c. cooked & mashed fresh or canned pumpkin
2 eggs
1 t. real vanilla extract
1/4 c. plain yogurt
1 1/4 c. corn meal
3/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 c. Rapadura or organic sugar
1 t. cinnamon
2 t. baking powder (aluminum free, please)
1/2 t. sea salt

Preheat oven to 400F and lightly grease muffin pan using coconut oil. Measure dry ingredients into a medium bowl and stir together with a whisk.




Measure melted coconut oil or butter, yogurt, and pumpkin and combine with eggs and vanilla.



Add dry ingredients to wet mixture and stir until just blended...don't over mix your batter!



Evenly scoop batter into prepared muffin cups using a quick release ice cream scoop (makes it so easy!).



Bake muffins for 15 - 20 minutes (ours were done at 15); check with a toothpick to be sure they're done. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove from pan to cool on a wire rack.



Add a dab of butter and a drizzle of raw honey, and you've got muffin perfection. Seriously. :)



Bon appetit!

Visit our Muffin Monday page for more deliciously healthy muffin inspiration!

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

Sharing with: Simple Lives Thursday, Encourage One Another, Whole Foods Wednesday, Day 2 Day Joys, Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways, Hearth & Soul Blog Hop, The Healthy Home Economist, Eggs Fresh Daily &

Photobucket

30 comments:

  1. These sound good. I'm not using much butter these days, but I would definitely try these with honey. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By all means, yes, skip the butter...but the honey? It's a must! Hope you enjoy these!

      Delete
  2. Yum! What an interesting combination. I'll have to give it a try - we love pumpkin and cornbread :)
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, please let me know what you think if you do give these a try! At first my family thought, "um... really?" But they ate them up!

      Delete
  3. This sounds so wonderful! I am planning on making an Amish Friendship bread soon and your post inspired me to make it pumpkin/cornbread instead of using wheat and banana. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to know how your Amish bread turns out! Thanks for taking the time to comment, Kathy. :)

      Delete
  4. mmmm, that definitely looks yummy! Will have to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sweet comment! Hope you enjoy these. :)

      Delete
  5. These seriously look so good! Who ever took that last picture with the close up of the melting butter on a warm muffin....
    amazing! Lets just say it made my tummy rumble!

    Love you,
    Jess~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your muffin photographer today was none other than myself. :) So glad you enjoyed that shot -- I really surprised myself with that one.

      xo, Mom

      Delete
  6. Lisa, I never knew that pumpkin and corn could go together...but these seem to blend quite nicely :)
    m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Pumpkin and corn? You simply must give these a try, my friend. :)

      Delete
  7. New follower here. I found you through the Barn Hop! These look yummy! I hope you will come visit my blog Fresh Eggs Daily and share at my Farm Girl Blog Fest: http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/10/farm-girl-blog-fest-3.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Lisa. Thanks for the invite! I'm heading over for a visit now. :)

      Delete
  8. We recently started a new "tradition" at our house... muffins on Sunday morning. I can make them ahead of time and even freeze them if necessary, which is so much easier when everyone is trying to get goats milked, chickens fed, showers, etc. before heading to church. I'm using your "Muffin Monday" recipes for inspiration... they all look so good! Thank you, Lisa!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, Thanks so much for the sweet comment! Sundays are a perfect time to enjoy fresh-from-the-oven muffins even if they've been frozen and re-heated. I hear you on the Sunday morning routine (Lord willing, we'll be adding goats in the spring, so things will be even more interesting around here...). :) So glad our Muffin Mondays have been an inspiration to you and your family! Blessings,

      Lisa :)

      Delete
  9. Oh my -- being a Southern I have to tell you I've never met a cornbread I didn't like. These look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I never met a cornbread I didn't like." I love this!! :) I know you're doing the SBD, so I'm sure they won't be on your menu right away. Hope you enjoy them when you can!

      Delete
  10. These look really good! It is always so refreshing to see healthy muffin recipes!! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Lesley! Thanks so much for your kind words; comments are always an encouragement to us. :) Blessings, ~Lisa

      Delete
  11. Man, your photos are the best! What camera do you use? These muffins look SO good! I wish it wasn't 10PM or I'd make them now! Blessings to you all, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks, Jacqueline. :) Our camera is a humble Nikon Cool Pix that we picked up at Costco a while back. The lighting in our kitchen is not the best, but once in a while, we get just the right amount. You'll have to let us know if you do make up a batch of these. Blessings! ~Lisa

      Delete
  12. Nice and healthy recipe! I really like pumpkin as dessert so I will try your recipe for sure!
    Amazing pictures, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the kind words, Natalia! Hope you enjoy these muffins. :)

      Delete
  13. Sounds awesome. I however don't have a yougurt that my son can tolerate. Any ideas on a good substitute?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanna, If your son can tolerate buttermilk, I think it would be an excellent stand-in for the yogurt. Hope you and he like these! ~Lisa

      Delete
  14. Lori, I have missed ya, I know you have been linking up at H2W's but I have been doing a terrible job about going around, checking out my fav bloggers! Your daughter is getting so big! Well, these muffins look so good and I love all things pumpkin, I recently wrote a post about 30 things pumpkin, would have added this if I would have seen it!

    And thank you so much for linking up with Healthy 2day Wednesdays as always! Hope you have a blessed week and hope you'll be linking up this week! I also wanted to let you know we are looking for another person to co-host H2W's with us if you are interested! :) (just email me!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I feel terrible, called you Lori.... you are Lisa, I am sorry! I knew that but was typing fast last night, sorry again and got your email!

      Delete
    2. Rachel, No worries about the name...I knew who you meant. ;) You can get back to me at happyindolevalley@gmail.com when you have time. Thanks!

      Delete
  15. Hello! I’m stopping in to invite you to join us at the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/11/clever-chicks-blog-hop-7-country-craft.html

    I hope to see you there!
    Cheers!
    Kathy
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...