Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thinking out loud... {it's almost Thanksgiving}

I know, I know. First it's almost Christmas, and now it's almost Thanksgiving... Am I the only one feeling like time is slipping by at lightning speed? :)

[source]
Now that Thanksgiving is right around the corner (it's only one week away!), we're all focusing on gratitude. So nice to spend the month of November reflecting on thankfulness, isn't it? Interesting that this season of reflecting on how blessed we are flows so smoothly into the Advent season when so many of us begin preparing ourselves to celebrate Christmas.

Ironic then that the day after Thanksgiving is spent by many in this way:

[source]
Honestly, I know that not everyone who wakes up early (or stays up late) to stand in line to get the best deals is being discontent. Several years ago my wonderful husband woke up at 4 a.m. (or was it 3?) to go stand in line at Sportsman's Warehouse so he could buy a shotgun before 6 a.m. (when the price would go up). Did he get a great deal on said shotgun? You better believe it. :)  Would he do it again for the same deal? Yes, indeed.

Now I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, just thinking out loud (or with my fingers/keyboard, I guess). I have a good friend who goes shopping with her mom and daughters on Black Friday and they have a blast -- more power to them! But as for me, I'm just not into it. I really don't like to shop anyway.

On Black Friday you'll find me sleeping in 'til I feel like getting up, enjoying a homemade vanilla latte with my man, and talking about Christmas and Advent plans until it's time to heat up some leftover turkey and gravy. We may even do a little Amazon and other online shopping -- in our jammies. Sounds like a perfect day to me. :)

So what I want to know is, do you go shopping on Black Friday? What are your holiday shopping traditions?

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

10 comments:

  1. I never did do the Black Friday thing when I was in the States and for sure I don't do it now. [o; Up here in Canada the BIG shopping day is Boxing Day. ( the day after Christmas) And...I don't do that either. [o= So like you I wake up slowly and enjoy what the Lord has blessed me with already. I pray you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving and I KNOW you all have a lot to be thankful for.

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. I always forget that Canada keeps many of the British holidays such as Boxing Day (a day we don't keep here in the states). Yes, we do indeed have much to be thankful for! But don't we all? Sometimes we miss the forest for the trees, I think. Blessings! ~Lisa

      Delete
  2. Okay. I'll admit it. I'm a shopping snob.
    The Man-of-the-House likes sales and we time our shopping accordingly but, Black Friday we like to be home.

    This year my married girls, together, are cooking the turkey and stuffing, etc. Grandma and Grandpa are invited "over" and will bring some side dishes. We're looking forward to it.

    I like your Victorian post card.
    Karen A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Karen. :) Sounds like you've got a wonderful day planned with your family! We, too, will have family here, although I'll be doing the cooking (which is fine -- I like to do it). We're keeping it simple this year, nothing too fancy, although I'm hoping to make homemade cranberry sauce which I've never done. Many blessings to you and yours,

      ~Lisa

      Delete
  3. I'm with you! No Black Friday for me. We went one year (not quite as early) just to experience it. Never again! I don't care if they are giving stuff away...lol.

    Thanksgiving plans for us are simple. The family is getting together and we've split the menu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Shara! I also wouldn't show up for free stuff! After my day of errands and battling traffic today, I'm reminded of how content I am to be home the day after Thanksgiving (and am looking forward to it since the husband will be home from work!). :)

      Delete
  4. Our whole family gets up early and heads to Seattle, where we get Starbucks AND Cinnabon, which we eat while waiting for the Christmas parade to begin. After the parade we go to lunch at an out of the way Mexican restaurant below Pike Place Market(last year we loudly sang Feliz Navidad.) We then window shop some(seldom do we ever buy anything.) We sometimes see a movie if there is something worthwhile playing. Then at 5:00pm we head over to WestLake Center for the tree-lighting. Exhausted from all the fun, we find our way back to our cars and while listening to Christmas music, we head home. It's one of our family's favorite days of the year! Caveat: Last year the girls in the family hit Joann's at opening to get great deals on fabric...then we met the guys in Seattle. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your family has the most fun of anyone I know...wish we could join you! Happy Thanksgiving to you and the Bismore clan, my friend! xo, Lisa :)

      Delete
  5. Black Friday...I'll be home sewing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you'll share your handiwork with us, Maria! Enjoy your Thanksgiving and day of sewing afterward! ~Lisa

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...