Monday, December 17, 2012

Trying to explain...

How one goes about the business of trying to explain last week's Newtown tragedy to their children? How does one go about explaining any hard providence?

"Why??"

The futility of trying to wrap my brain around what my ears were hearing coming over the radio last Friday morning caused me to turn it off.

Enough already!

The husband reading the front page of yesterday's paper -- the names of the victims with their ages. So young, so many, so unbelievable.

"Why??"

The heart is deceitful above all things,
And desperately wicked;
Who can know it?

~Jeremiah 17:9

What has happened to our culture?
Christians know that this is the result of sin and the horrifying effects of The Fall. Every answer for this evil must affirm the reality and power of sin. The sinfulness of sin is never more clearly revealed than when we look into the heart of a crime like this and see the hatred toward God that precedes the murderous hatred he poured out on his little victims. [from AlbertMohler.com - thanks, Jacqueline]
Yet, there is an answer...
There is one and only one reason that evil does not have the last word, and that is the fact that evil, sin, death, and the devil were defeated at the cross of the Lord Jesus Christ... In the face of such horror, we are driven again and again to the cross and resurrection of Christ, knowing that the reconciling power of God in Christ is the only adequate answer to such a depraved and diabolical power. [also from AlbertMohler.com]
So the answer to my dilemma of how to talk to my children (and your children) about this terrible, murderous event? Remind them of the truth -- horrific events like these do not undo truth! Love them. Hug on them. Pray with them. Trust in Christ with them. And let them know it's ok to cry a little bit, too (Romans 12:15).

The older I get, the more often I find myself echoing the words whispered by my dear Grandmother at times like this... Lord have mercy. And may He.

With prayers for the heartbroken families of Newtown,

~Lisa

Sharing with the Gallery of Favorites & Encourage One Another :)

4 comments:

  1. I had an "easy" time explaining to my 2 year old the events. I was crying on Saturday, and my daughter said, "Crying. Sad?" I told her, "Mummy's sad. Something bad happened yesterday." She then gave me a hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww... "crying. sad?" how sweet. :)

      Delete
  2. Your post brought tears to my eyes. It's beautifully written, and so very meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, April. :) With even more recent events here in the states, while not with as many victims, my heart and mind struggles with the comprehension of what snaps in a person to allow them to behave in such reprehensible ways.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...