Thursday, January 3, 2013

Easy Peasy Overnight *Instant* Oatmeal
{Homemade Pantry}

We've been making this recipe for years now and I wish I could remember where I got it from so I could add a link to say thanks! If you don't already make your oatmeal this way, I encourage you to give it a try just once and see if you aren't converted. :)



Easy Peasy Overnight *Instant* Oatmeal

3 c. organic whole oats
3 c. warm water
3 oz. cultured buttermilk
1 t. sea salt
1 t. cinnamon
3/4 c. real maple syrup

Before bed, measure oats, water, buttermilk, sea salt, cinnamon, and maple syrup into a medium sauce pan. Stir. Put on the lid. Finis. I told you it was easy peasy. :)



In the morning, simply turn the heat on medium low and give it a stir while the oats warm up. Serve with milk or cream for a quick and easy deliciously healthy breakfast.

Bon appetit!

So, just because I think this is so cool, before posting this I thought I'd do a google search to see if I could find the inspiration for this recipe and lo and behold, I found it over at Kelly the Kitchen Kop. Thanks, Kelly! And while you're there, you can read about why it's important to soak your oats. :)

Please don't be shy about leaving a comment to let us know you were here, and while you are here, feel free to check out Homemade Pantry page for more healthy homemade-is-better ideas!

{Don't forget to enter our Lilla Rose giveaway -- click here!}

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

Sharing here: Tasty Traditions, Wise Woman Link-up, Encourage One Another, Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways, Whole Foods Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Raising Homemakers, Hearth & Soul Hop, Growing Home, Homestead Barn Hop, Pennywise Platter, Tasty Traditions, Simple Lives Thursday

22 comments:

  1. I've done something similar, except, I've used yogurt instead of buttermilk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've tried yogurt, too, but my family thinks it's too tart that way!

      Delete
  2. I have soaked my oats, but alas, my children do not like the texture at all :( But I do remember how delicious it is :) mb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad, Maria. Maybe you could make a small batch for yourself. :)

      Delete
  3. Do you think this would work for baked oatmeal, too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine why not! Let me know if you give it a try! :)

      Delete
    2. I'll try it and let you know. Maybe soak them overnight covered in the frig.

      Delete
    3. Please do let me know; I'd like to try your recipe, Shara if you'd be willing to share. :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds soooooooooo yummy! Did you all get anymore snow? I forgot to ask yesterday. Well, today I am going to master short rows on hubby's sweater. I posted about just before I headed over here. [o=

    Happy Saturday my friend
    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no more snow, but they are predicting more later this week. :) Happy knitting! Hope you'll share a photo of that sweater once it's finished!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for stopping by. So far I've forgotten to do this two nights but hopefully I'll remember tomorrow night. {I know better than to try a new recipe on a Sunday morning when things are crazy enough!}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, if your family winds up liking this oatmeal, you'll find it to be the simplest of Sunday morning b'fasts! Blessings, ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  6. I think I found a place to get raw milk so I may have whey soon! Hurray! This is a great no cook recipe! I do have some plain kefir and oatmeal is a fav here so I will try that.

    You can do similar with rolled or even whole wheat but the wheat needs to simmer all night in the crockpot if left as berries... note on wheat berries, you may not need to sweeten! Try it and see!

    ~Teri
    terigelseth.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2/05/2013

      Hi Terri. I have a very large thermos (with glass insert) for the wheat. I put 2 cups (or less) in it the night before with boiling water added to the top. It's all ready to go in the morning.
      Birdie

      Delete
  7. We do something similar every night, except we just soak the oats in water and apple cider vinegar, then add organic sugar, coconut oil or butter, salt and cinnamon after it cooks. So yummy and my children love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naomi, thanks for visiting and for leaving your method here for all to try! I'm going to try this soaking method tonight and will leave a comment tomorrow sharing how we all liked it. :) Blessings! ~Lisa

      Delete
  8. So I found a source of raw milk! I am so excited. I have not made up any butter milk or sour cream or anything yet but I strained some yogurt into labneh and am using the cultured raw whey from that and cqant wait to wake up to a ready made sunday breakfast! it even beats steel cut oats or whole wheat berries overnight in the crockpot for sustainability )yay for the pwr bill!)

    Teri
    The Sustainability Blog- How Sustainable can we be?
    www.Terigelseth.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found a source for raw milk, Teri! So nice to nourish our families with pure, unadulterated milk as nature intended. :) Blessings! ~Lisa

      Delete
  9. Anonymous1/13/2013

    If I took out the maple syrup altogether what should I add to the recipe to balance the liquid that would be lost? Perhaps just add some regular milk or some applesauce? We typically use sliced bananas to sweeten our oatmeal. We are trying to cut down on our sugar intake and 3/4 cup of maple syrup sounds like a lot. Thanks, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, I think you could simply omit the maple syrup here and then make your substitutions/additions in the a.m. I suggest doing a trial run using a small amount of oats and buttermilk first, although I really do think it would turn out fine. Please let me know how it goes! Blessings, ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  10. Anonymous2/07/2013

    About how many servings does this make? We've got 9 eaters (and one nurser!), almost all boys (1 girl & me!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anon, Oh my. This recipe feeds our family of four and leaves a little leftover for reheating the next morning or to bake some muffins with. How many cups of oats do you normally cook for your family? I'd use that as a guide, but I'm thinking you'd likely need to at least double this recipe. Hope that helps! ~Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...