Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Goodnight words... {Gratituesday}

“A wise parent will prize and will rightly use the hour of the children’s bedtime. That is the golden hour for good impressions on the children’s hearts. That is the parent’s choicest opportunity of holy influence. . . . every word spoken should be a word of gentleness and affection. The words which are most likely to be borne in the mind by the children, in all their later years, as best illustrating the spirit and influence of their parents, are the good-night words of those parents."

~H. Clay Trumbull
(via this encouraging place)
These wise words speak to my heart even though my two still at home are 14 and 12. Sometimes it's easy to think a quick "good night" is sufficient (and sometimes it is!), but not all the time. Yes, they are growing older, but, yes, they do still need good night words from their momma. :)

How sad that so often we parents rush "good-nights" to our children so that we can hurry off to do something else when we could've spent a few precious minutes praying, sharing confidence building words -- comfort and encouragement over some event from the day, or simply enjoying some silly talk. I'm as guilty as anyone with this, "Ah, the house is quiet! Time to read, answer an email, etc." Don't get me wrong here. I'm not saying that occasional quick good-nights are necessarily a bad thing, it's just that I think they can become an unwise habit.

"A wise parent will prize and will rightly use the hour of the children's bedtime..." Priceless wisdom!

So today I'm thankful...

For this quote by Mr. Trumbull along with the timely reminder that my sweet children still need me at bedtime even though they're growing up.

Counting my blessings one by one and giving thanks for all the Lord is doing in my life -- for the grace and mercy He extends to this imperfect lump of clay. How about you? What are you thankful for today?

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

Join me for Gratituesday at Heavenly Homemakers :)
Also sharing with Encourage One Another

8 comments:

  1. Such a good reminder. I need to take that extra time starting today. I sadly have fallen into that habit and need to change that. Thank you so much for this reminder.

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, my friend. :) These children of ours grow up so very quickly and before we know it we'll be wishing we had someone to tuck in at night... Blessings! ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  2. One of my favorite times during the day is when my daughter is going to bed. It's not because I think of all the things I can get accomplished, but rather I enjoy the time. It's one of the only times during the day where my daughter is "Go. Go. Go." Instead she's quieter, so I read to her, sing Psalms with her, and pray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, enjoy all those special and precious moments with your sweet girl!

      Delete
  3. Hi Lisa, this is such a beautiful post today! I don't have children of my own, but I remember so fondly the way my mother said goodnight to me. It is a sweet memory that still lingers in my heart after all these years. Have a restful evening ahead! Delisa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Delisa. :) Thanks for your kind words and for sharing the precious memory you have of your mom's "good-night words" to you. Blessings! ~Lisa

      Delete
  4. I like that quote, and such a beautiful reminder and encouragement for mothers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a good quote; I'm so glad you liked it. :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...