Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Tending my yarn garden...
{knit, crochet, and a few good books}

It's been quite a while since I shared any projects...not too terribly much knitting or crocheting going on over the holidays for me this year. Pictured below is a simple pair of cotton knitted washcloths created with Sugar & Cream's "barnboard twists" (a yarn which I've decided should've been called "candy cane").



Current reading includes Protocol Matters by Sandra Boswell, the January edition of Tabletalk magazine, and my Bible. Yep, attempting to read through in a year. (Attempted this last year and didn't quite make it, so trying again...)



Current read alouds include The Illustrated Longitude by Dava Sobel and Mr Pipes And The British Hymn Makers by Douglas Bond. I'm so thankful my kiddos still enjoy read aloud time with their ma. :)



Beautiful Girlhood by the gracious Karen Andreola is my current mother/daughter devotional with AnnaLynn.  I cannot recommend this book more highly, ladies -- lot's of wonderful conversation going on after our readings! :)  The knitting? A lone fingerless mitt patiently awaiting its mate to be finished.



And finally, my one completed project over the holidays...a simple purple hat and scarf set for my beautiful girl. :)



Did you really think I'd share all those wonderful books without a few quotes?
For Christians, the purpose of protocol...is the development of relationships, self-discipline, and kind behavior toward others.
~Sandra Boswell, author of Protocol Matters

We stand at a crossroads, and we will either rediscover the lost virtues of listening, meditating, and thinking, or we will amuse ourselves to death.
~Burk Parson, editor of Tabletalk magazine

While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, winter and summer, and day and night shall not cease.
~Genesis 8:22, NKJV
And because of that third quote, I've also been flipping through the pages of the new Territorial Seed catalog...dreaming of longer days, warmer soil, and freshly picked lettuce.

How about you? How's your yarn garden blooming?

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

Sharing with: April's Gallery of Favorites and...

16 comments:

  1. Candy cane would be a very apt name for that yarn! I always have a washcloth in progress, I call them 'waiting for the water to boil' projects as I keep them in the kitchen to pick up and put down whilst cooking!!
    scarf and hat set is very pretty.
    I am also going to try to read my bible in a year, I failed last year, got a bit lost in the Old Testament. Do you have a particular method or do you just read cover to cover?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Emma. :) Our family is following the reading schedule printed in Tabletalk magazine which includes 2-3 OT chapters and one NT chapter per day with just one reading for the weekend (allows time to get caught up if one of us falls behind!). So far so good! There are so many different methods/schedules for reading the Bible through in a year -- hope you find one that works for you! Blessings, ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful projects! I have several sweaters in progress that I haven't touched since before Christmas. The holidays were busy and I just can't seem to get back into the flow.

    I have to admit that I have favorite books of the Bible and have a tendency to get lost in them. I've never managed to make it through the whole Bible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shara! I have my favorite books as well, but am determined to get through all of them this year...Lord willing! Blessings! ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  3. I currently am reading the Table Talk magazine too. I have not heard of that book by Douglas Bond, but I've read Duncan's War which he wrote. Happy New Year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you as well! We read all the books in the Duncan's War series (on the Scottish Covenanters -- so good! The husband read them as family read alouds a few years ago). The Mr. Pipes series is an excellent introduction to hymns through the adventures of a brother and sister's friendship with "Mr. Pipes." You would love them, Sarah...keep them in mind for when Charis gets a little older. :) Blessings! ~Lisa

      Delete
  4. It gives me goose bumps to see you tending your garden with Beautiful Girlhood - with its first page open - your hands in fingerless mittens/gloves. I remember reading it aloud with my daughters. Its topics are sober not silly but we did giggle over it in some places - as it has that old-fashioned feel. Later I decided to use certain chapters to make nice starting points for "talks" I gave at the tea parties we had at our house for the girls of the church.

    I've been reading Paul's epistles. He does not lack emotion. He is wise and feels deeply. Sometimes I sense him writing in his pain (in 2nd Cor.)
    Our adult Sunday School class is studying J I Packer's "Knowing God."

    Seeing my grandchildren tomorrow,
    Karen A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Karen, your comment just popped up -- I see we're on the computer at the same time. :) Such a small world. Thank you for your sweet comment. It's cute how much my girl is enjoying our read aloud time of Beautiful Girlhood -- giggles and all. She's at exactly the perfect age for reading these old-fashioned words; I truly believe each chapter is helping her to be able to verbalize many of the thoughts and feelings she's been having but didn't quite know how (she's 12). I did read this book with my grown 25 year old daughter, too, oh-so-many years ago and am thankful to you for taking the time to bless us with your updated version; such a blessing for moms and daughters! Enjoy those grandbabies tomorrow! My first will be born sometime in June...can't wait!

      Many blessings, ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  5. I was throwing yarn blossoms all over the place this Christmas and I don't think I got a picture of one!! Only two live here at the house so I guess I still have a chance at those.

    We are entering the 'GRAND" stage of life together. Hillary too is due in June!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love dropping in and seeing what projects you're working on, my friend. I have put away the yearn for now, and am sewing spring skirts for my girls. There's something about the months of January and February that turn me into an ol' sew-and-sew. ;)
      Much love to you, dear Lisa. :)

      Delete
  6. Anna looks so cute in that hat! It's adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the candy cane wool! It's so pretty. And what a lovely photograph of AnnaLynn! The hat and scarf set is beautiful. I do wish I could knit! All I can manage is to cast on, knit and cast off, so that limits me to squares and scarves, which never turn out very well :)

    I like all the quotes, but the one from Burk Parson really caught my eye - it's very thought provoking!

    Thank you for sharing this post with The Gallery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, April. :) And thanks for the kind words! Squares and scarves are a great place to start -- don't give up, my friend! Blessings, ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  8. The hat and scarf set truly is lovely, as is your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the kind words, Alea. :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...