Monday, February 25, 2013

and now for something savory... Poor Man's Stew

No, I'm not home from my trip yet, but I figured I'd pop in to share a recipe from the archives. See you all Wednesday when I'll be sharing about my trip to California and my time at "Stitches West." :)

I shared this recipe last February and thought I'd share it again since it's one of my favorite simple, nutritious, and inexpensive recipes!  While no one in my family has a problem with gluten, I'm told by a trusted friend that this recipe is gluten free if the beef broth is homemade and no bouillon is added. Nice to know if you ever have a guest with a gluten intolerance.  :)  And if for no other reason, this stew just happens to be the perfect way to take the chill off a gray February day. Enjoy!



Mmmm... Doesn't that look good? And it doesn't take long to make either. Serve this hearty stew for lunch or dinner with a slice or two of sourdough bread and your family will thank you. I promise. :)

Poor Man's Stew

1 lb. ground beef (grass fed is best)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 t. garlic powder
1 c. lentils
2 - 3 carrots, chopped
4 - 6 potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 c. frozen corn
1 can petite diced tomatoes
4 c. beef broth
1/2 t. thyme
1/4 t. crushed rosemary
salt and pepper to taste

Brown the ground beef with the onion and garlic; drain excess fat and transfer to a soup pot. Stir in lentils, carrots, corn, tomatoes, beef broth, and seasonings (reserve the potatoes to add later). Bring to a slow boil then reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30-45 minutes or until lentils are tender. Add the potatoes and cook just until tender.

Enjoy...and stay warm!

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

Sharing with Tasty Traditions

Hearth & Soul Hop

12 comments:

  1. Ahhhh,Lisa..stew is one of my family's favorite winter meals. Thanks for sharing this. And btw, the citrus muffins were a huge hit. :)
    Have a blessed week!
    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, So glad your family enjoyed the citrus muffins! Thanks for stopping by, my friend. :) ~Lisa

      Delete
  2. I might have to have this on the menu plan for next week. I already made the menu plan and bought groceries for this week. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, Sarah; hope your family likes it!

      Delete
  3. I will for sure have to try this one! Thank you so much for sharing this. Can't wait to catch up with you and hear how your trip went. Miss you.

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make these kinds of stews pretty much all winter long. We enjoy it so much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stew...the perfect winter food. :) Thanks for visiting, Maria! Will be by to visit you soon. ~Lisa

      Delete
  5. I'm going to make this for Sunday's dinner. We have a table at a Seedy Sunday. So I need a pre-made dinner to come home too. [o= This looked perfect! Thank you again for sharing. ((HUGS))

    Blessings and ((HUGS))!
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, Mary, so glad you're going to make this; I know you'll love it! Hope all goes well this Sunday, my friend! Will keep you in my prayers for many sales! ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  6. Lisa, your poor man's stew sounds absolutely delicious. It's the perfect comforting meal for this time of year. I hope you continue to enjoy your trip :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the kind words, April. And thanks, too, for visiting! Blessings to you, my friend, ~Lisa :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...