Friday, February 1, 2013

Cozy winter days...

Pardon me while I muse a bit...

                 

One night this week we roasted two of our homegrown chickens for dinner and then cooked up a batch of homemade broth. I love cooking with my kids. Enjoying the savory aroma of the crockpot simmering all day long and looking forward to a bowl of nourishing homemade soup is one of my favorite things about wintertime.  :)

Having six and a half weeks until the first day of spring means that we're still deep in the midst of winter. The sun continues to rise late and set early, but we're enjoying a little more daylight bit by bit as the the spring equinox approaches. Our school days have mostly been spent cozied up by the fire. Read aloud time each morning has provided opportunity for productive artistic pursuits...sketching, designing bookmarks for the local library's annual bookmark contest, building puzzles, crocheting granny squares, knitting, etc. Before we know it we'll be outdoors working in the garden, mowing and weeding, and chopping wood for next year's fires, but for now we're enjoying these cozy winter days.

What have you been up to this week?

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

6 comments:

  1. Oh Lisa...I am trying not to think about Spring at the moment. Let us enjoy this time of being warm and cozy...under woolen blankets while I spin my wool :) Your soup looks absolutely delicious...thank you for sharing a glimpse of your lovely home my friend :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fire and the soup both look so inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I'm always excited to welcome spring.. it is with a bit of longing that I wave good-bye to the cozies of winter.

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cozy pics, dear Lisa. Love the fire in the background. We have a wood stove, too, and love the heat it provides. That's one thing I will sorely miss when springtime rolls around. :)
    Have a delightful week, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so very lucky having nice children that you can bond this winter season. Nice pics, your home made soup looks delicious and nutritious perfect for the winter season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful family photos! I'd love to come and sit by the fire and crochet with you and eat chicken soup!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...