Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Stitches West! {new yarn, new projects, new friends}

Please pardon my enthusiasm as I share a rather photo heavy post...



1800+ miles in the back seat of a car gave this woman some quality time with my yarn, knitting needles, and crochet hook. And while, of course, I'm so glad to be back home, I have to tell you how fun it was to go to Stitches West! We did buy two-day tickets but wound up only attending on Friday since we were all pretty much overwhelmed, our feet tired, and we'd spent all our money. Attending Stitches on a budget and with projects in mind made shopping easy and kept me to only one truly impulse, gotta-have-it-and-don't-know-what-I'll-do-with-it purchase -- the Madeline Tosh. I'm open to suggestions. :)

The pink organic cotton found it's way onto my crochet hook while on our drive home, day two. In the picture above you can see the first two rows of what will become a super soft, lightweight blanket to welcome my first grandchild, a girl, this June. Have I mentioned that I'm about to become a grandmother? So exciting! I started on this lovely project in the car but was stopped in my tracks when I discovered a page of the instructions was missing -- a dilemma which turned out to be just fine as this road block allowed me to turn my attention to finishing the writing of my cabled mitts pattern -- yeehaw!

The first project I actually dove into after Stitches was a gorgeous Lilianna sweater -- can you guess who it's for? The yarn (Taiga Nostalgia in what I will call "lavender" even though my photos make it look much more like pink), the needles (Kollage soft circulars), and the pattern were all purchased at Stitches, and I can tell you that the Kollage needles cost more than the yarn and pattern combined. Do I love them? Yes indeed. I had to stop work on this project when it came time to pick up the sleeves as I didn't have my size five dp's with me...at this point I started work on the baby blanket mentioned above.

In other knitting news, I did in fact finish my shawl which is currently being blocked; my dear stepmama purchased the gorgeous shawl pin for me -- so sweet. :) She also purchased two kits for me, both shoulder wraps; one will be knit using the Silky Mulberry and the other the merino silk blend. (Thanks, M! -- love ya!!) My other yarn purchases included the chocolatey cashmere and the Samea.

Oh my, this post is growing ever so long and if you've read this far, I thank you! More than anything in writing this post, I wanted to document this most wonderful day and express my gratitude to my papa and M for making it happen. Love you guys. :)

So what's growing in your yarn garden? What books are you reading? Please share in the comments and join me at Ginny's & Tami's :)

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

15 comments:

  1. Oooh, Lisa, love the organic cotton sweater! All the yarns are beautiful colors...as for that "impulsive" green, hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori! Isn't that organic cotton wonderful? Wish you could feel it...so soft! Hopefully, I'll find a few moments today to do a little more work on that baby blanket (the sweater is a soft merino wool). Hope all is coming along well for you and your plans and hope to read an update soon! :)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous sweater! Love all the beautiful yarn colors! Your shawl is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the kind words!

      Delete
  3. LOVELY!! I've been to the Maryland Sheep and Wool festival the last two years and agree that having a budget with specific projects in mind is good. It helps decrease the impulse buying. Are you having a grand baby? Is that who the Lilliana sweater is for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah -- YES! A granddaughter! She's due in June, and I just can't to meet her sweetness. :) The Maryland Sheep and Wool festival sounds like a fin time; you'll have to share your finds next time you go!

      Delete
  4. It sure sounds like you had a marvellous time! And such wonderful treasures you've come back with to! Congratulations on the expecting of your granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! We really did have a great time even though being at "Stitches" was a bit overwhelming -- a bit like a homeschooling conference if you know what I mean. So much wonderful goodness to consider and choose from! Blessings, ~Lisa

      Delete
  5. Lisa...those yarns are just luscious! Congratulations Grand Mamie :-) A little girl if I am not mistaken ;-D What a wonderful time you must have had my friend...thank you so much for sharing :) I am finishing up two shawls and blocking my first ever cardigan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, YES! A little girl. And thank you, my friend. I hope to get around blogland this weekend and see what you and everyone else has been up to. Will you be sharing pics of your shawls and cardigan? Hope so! Blessings, ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! I'm so excited for you!

    Gosh, as great as the knitting/crocheting looks and the event it pales in comparison to a granddaughter. :-)

    Looks like you had a great time and came home with some great projects lined up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, my friend! We did have a terrific time and came home with an abundance of fun projects. Having fun crafting for the little one, for sure! Blessings, ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Lisa! I found your blog through Karen Andreola's and I just wanted to comment and say that I love the yarn that you purchased and the little sweater is gorgeous!! Your pink yarn for the baby blanket is lovely too. I LOVE Madeline Tosh yarn! ;o)

    I am glad to have found another kindred spirit! ;o)

    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to say hello and for the kind words. Stop by and say hello anytime -- kindred spirits always welcome! ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  8. Looks like everyone had a wonderful time. The shawl is lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...