Wednesday, February 6, 2013

True Grit, granny squares & a long lost shawl project
{tending my yarn garden}





Although we're not always consistent due to the Papa's work schedule and whatever other life is going on, we always have a family read aloud going. Our latest, which we just finished, was True Grit by Charles Portis. Have you read it? This story has become one of our family's all-time favorites -- so much so that when our cat had kittens last spring, we named many of the kittens after the characters in this book. The dialogue is clever and is followed closely in both the John Wayne version of the movie and the more recent Jeff Bridges version. We've seen both and prefer Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn to be sure. I guess we're not big John Wayne fans... How about you?

The knitting? A lacy shawl I started years (and years) ago using a fine cotton yarn reclaimed from Goodwill-purchased sweater. I had intended to finish this project last year but sadly never got around to it. Life is full. Deciding it was time to finally finish this project, I pulled it out this week and actually started back in on it -- here's to having it finished in time for spring!

Last week I mentioned that AnnaLynn and I have joined a granny square crochet along -- Anna finished her  first four squares, but she still needs to weave in the ends. And while one of her squares looks a little funky, I'm sure it will even out to square when we sew them all together later this year. :)

The rainbow of flowers surrounding the pumpkin (we grew a lot of pumpkins last summer!) are the crocheted brooches I mentioned last week. Due to photography problems, these never were listed in our Etsy market as I had intended. Ugh. Having finally figured things out, they should be available this Friday for anyone who might be interested. :)

I'm still working on writing my fingerless mitt and bonnet patterns; many thanks to those of you who expressed an interest in testing them for me!!

So what's growing in your yarn garden? What books are you reading?
Please share in the comments and join me at Ginny's & Tami's :)

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

24 comments:

  1. Lisa, The shawl looks lovely - a lot of work to be sure. I love the colors AnnaLynn picked for her granny squares. Thanks for the info on that, I started one as well - looking forward to seeing how AnnaLynn's, and yours, turns out!

    blessings
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! Thankfully, the ten row repeat isn't too difficult -- lots of "yo, k2tog" going on here... So glad you joined in the granny square crochet along! Looking forward to seeing how your squares turn out. :) Blessings! ~Lisa

      Delete
  2. Those flowers are awesome! And I love the Backyard Homestead (I am constantly reading it!). I think the shawl is lovely! I hope you are able to finish it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Heather! The Backyard Homestead puts everything "homesteading" into such simple terms that even I have become convinced that I can do it! Loving working on the shawl, the rows are growing ever longer, but the end is in sight. :)

      Delete
  3. So many beautiful things from your needles and hooks! And True Grit, huh? I've never had that recommendation and certainly intend to check it out!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, I think you would enjoy True Grit...let me know if you give it a go! ~Lisa

      Delete
  4. My goodness you are busy! all of it such lovely work.
    Shawl looks amazingly complicated!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Emma. :) The shawl only looks complicated, and I guess in some ways it really is, but it's a ten row repeat with lots of k2 tog and yo's to create the lacy part. The thing is I'm not big on working with fingering weight yarn, but I sure enjoy the end product. :) Blessings!

      Delete
  5. great timing on the shawl.....I usually find a 'sleeping' project just as its season is finishing! You'll get a lot of use from it; it's lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sleeping project...what a perfect way to describe a project that's been set aside. :) Thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  6. Your shawl is beautiful - what an interesting stitch pattern! The flowers are also pretty, and I like the squares. The one bottom left makes me think of a Rubik's cube. HA! I'm visiting from Yarn Along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Deborah. :) A rubik's cube indeed!

      Delete
  7. I am soooo envious of your beautiful knit shawl! Although I love to crochet, knitting and I just don't seem to get along. I get a little better each time I try, but I'm still no where near the ability to make cute little hats, stuffed animals and other cute projects I see on the web. Maybe one day. :)

    Thanks so much for visiting my post on the crochet baby blankets! I hope one of them gave you some inspiration for that new little grandbaby you have on the way! ;) New follower here!

    Kim
    Little Rays of Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, Thanks for your sweet words and for the baby blanket inspiration! One never knows what wonderful ideas they'll find on the weekly Yarn Along! Thanks so much for visiting! ~Lisa

      Delete
  8. All your projects look amazing! The flowers are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything is wonderful! The flowers are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Karen. :)

      Delete
  10. All of your yarn projects are wonderful! I love the design you've used for your shawl and the flowers are so very pretty! I would love to learn how to make them sometime. Right now I'm working on making a blue babyblanket (a crocheted shell pattern). There is something wonderful about a soft handmade item that says...LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...a soft handmade item that says LOVE -- indeed! Thanks for your kind words, Jennifer. :)

      Delete
  11. I do hope you finish the project in time for spring! It's lovely and I like the open lacework!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I finish it, too! Easter is my target...

      Delete
  12. Hi Lisa! I've seen both versions of True Grit and preferred the Jeff Bridges version myself. Great movie! Love Anna's granny squares and your brooches, just lovely. I love to crochet, and know nothing about knitting, but your reclaimed yarn blanket is lovely. :)

    I'd like to invite you to share this post and up to two others at Farm Girl Blog Fest #19, which is live right now. You would be a great addition to the wonderful posts that are shared!

    Farm Girl Friday Blog Fest #19

    Hope to see you there!
    ~Kristi@Let This Mind Be in You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristi, for the invite. I'm getting to this kind of late, so I think I'll try to link up with you later this week instead! :)
      Blessings, ~Lisa

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...