Tuesday, March 19, 2013

So much to do...
{Garden Journal #1 -- March 2013}

Are you as excited as we are? In case you aren't aware, it's the last day of winter! And since the last day of winter is followed by the first day of spring, I thought it fitting to share the first entry in what I hope will be a weekly journal documenting our garden and homesteading activities this year. What will we grow? What will we build? How will we take dominion of this small piece of paradise? So much to do...



During my recent trip to California, we passed through Cottage Grove, Oregon, the home of Territorial Seed Company, where I purchased the bulk of this year's garden seed. Why do I like buying from Territorial? They're local for one, their test fields are at about the same elevation as our small homestead, and they've taken the safe seed pledge meaning that they won't sell gmo seed. More reasons I like supporting Territorial is their helpful print catalog (get one free here) as well as their amazingly helpful online garden planner which you can try free for 30 days here (just in case you're wondering, I'm not an affiliate with Territorial).

We started seed for spinach as well as two lettuces (romaine and French crisp) on March 8 and were delighted to find only four days later that most of the lettuce seeds we'd planted had sprouted (as of today, 3/19, all but a couple of seeds had sprouted). The spinach, of course, took longer and sprouted on the 15th. The plan is to start seed for the lettuces every three weeks to keep us in fresh salads. I. love. salad. :)

Exactly one month ago, we enjoyed our first 60 degree day here in Dole Valley. We haven't had more than one warm day like that since and rather have had lots of cool rainy days typical to the Pacific NW. With the changing seasons, we have had an occasional dusting of snow but nothing to get excited about about. I did take advantage of the afternoon sunshine that February day to do some flowerbed weeding and realized our perennials need dividing. Our spring flowering bulbs are up as are our garlic and a few perennial herbs including our chives. Daffodils are blooming in town, so I know ours are just about two weeks away.

Our hummingbird feeder was never brought in last fall, so it's in need of a good cleaning; we won't likely be seeing any hummingbirds for several more weeks, but because we want to be ready for them when they do arrive, we'll be making up a batch of hummingbird nectar soon. I found an informative article about hummingbird migration as well as instructions for making your own hummingbird nectar; click on the links to check them out if you'd like. We've been blessed with the recent chirping of all sorts of other birds during the morning over the past week or so; one of our goals this year is to identify as many birds as we can which should be a fun and educational activity, don't you think?

In other bird news we've decided not to raise new hens this year but will instead be raising a flock of meat birds later this spring, Lord willing, of course.
Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” ~Genesis 1:26
And while there is so, so very much more about our plans for this year to tell, this post is growing ever so long and the duties of the day are calling. Until next time, happy spring and happy gardening!

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

Join me at Our Simple Farm, Encourage One Another & the Tuesday Garden Party

10 comments:

  1. Love hearing your plans....makes me realize I oughta get thinking about spring. I love Territorial Seeds for the same reasons. I think we may join you in your bird watching! We've been doing a bit of nature drawing etc. this year, and that would be a great journal to have by the window!
    Happy day before the First Day of Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea! The bird journal, that is. :) Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Spring, isn't it exciting?! I love the optimism that comes with the beginning of the main growing season.
    I'm attempting succession planting this year, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Optimism indeed. :) Hope your garden grows well for you this year, Hannah! Thanks for visiting, ~Lisa

      Delete
  3. Anonymous3/19/2013

    Something I learned this year from an article in The Reflector... we actually have resident hummingbirds that winter here. Anna's Hummingbird will eat from your feeders all winter long. I live in La Center, WA and have several that eat from my feeders during the winter months. They also will perch on your finger to eat if you are patient enough for them to get to know you a little. My family loves having them around all year! Keep your feeders out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummm. Well, that is something I did not know! We haven't seen a single hummingbird all winter, so I assumed ours migrate, and maybe some varieties do...will need to look into this further. Thanks for letting us know!

      Delete
  4. It's been so long since I've been on line reading my favorite blogs. I took a break which began unintentionally due to my sick child and am just now getting back into checking everything after almost a year. I've missed reading your posts and I love them! Thank you for sharing your plans.

    Sonia

    (used to be www.proverbs31hands.blogspot.com, now www.redhenrenaissance.blogspot.com in case you don't recognize the name or my link)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonia! I've often wondered how you were doing... Will be by to visit your new blog soon. :) Thanks for stopping by, ~Lisa

      Delete
  5. Stopping in off the TGP and can't wait to read more!
    http://theredeemedgardener.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Clint. Isn't it wonderful to be back into the growing season? Lots of rain here today for the first official day of spring, but spring it is nonetheless. :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...