Saturday, April 20, 2013

saturday morning latte... {homestead update}

Saturday morning latte...

a time to ponder, to reflect, to record the week's blessings. 

Because time so easily slips by, because I don't want to forget, because each day is unique and special, I plan to use this space to record the week's happenings, blessings, and thoughts.

If you want to join me, write a post of your own and leave a link in the comments. : )

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It's been a busy week (or two) around the homestead. When it wasn't pouring down rain or hailing, we put on our crocs or boots and busied ourselves with our garden tools...and, of course, our camera to record it all.

                             

There is a certain satisfaction to be had in working one's land, working it together as a family. Signs of spring and new growth are everywhere to be seen, but for this mom, I see those signs most especially in my youngest two. I know I muse about them growing up a lot, but how can I not? As our dominion taking of the raw 2.5 acres we've been blessed with is bearing fruit, so also is our discipleship of our children. Learning to work hard, to be responsible, to enjoy the blessings of animal husbandry and the growing of our own food is something we rejoice in doing along with our children. As they grow and shows signs of enjoying what we do here, as they take note and share with me their own observations of what has bloomed and what should go where and what needs to be done, my heart is filled with satisfaction in knowing they're getting it. :)

Accomplished tasks: straw and mulch in half of the vegetable garden, transplants to our tulip tree bed (last pic above), transplanted raspberries, amended raised beds, turned corn patch, weeded herb garden, planted peas, transplanted lettuces and started new seed, transplanted strawberries, started tomato and pie pumpkin seed

Next up: build flower bed on side of pumphouse, more transplants from front flower bed along with dividing summer blooming perennials, more wood chips around herb garden, build brooder for meat birds, stairs for back deck, redo back lawn, plant a shade tree for the back yard, etc.

What's growing in your garden? 

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

Sharing with...

Tuesday Garden Party, Farm Girl Friday & Deep Roots at Home

12 comments:

  1. It is lovely to see a family gardening together. Gardening is so rewarding and brings so much pleasure. Once you find joy in having dirt under our fingernails, you'll never go back, and it is easy to see from their smiles that your kids are enjoying the garden. You have a lovely home.
    Happy Spring :)
    Your blogging sister, Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking time to leave a comment today, Connie. Brings a smile to my face. :) Hope you're enjoying your Saturday! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such joy to view the pictures of your garden and your blessed family together. Working side by side for a common goal. :) Right now, we are not planting anything. We are redoing the garden, so planting will not happen until the Autumn :( but I can dream how it will be next year ;D m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Maria, you will have a relaxing summer with no garden to tend, then won't you... Enjoy it, my friend! And happy planting in the fall. :)

      Delete
  4. Your photos are so lovely! They make me want to go outside and dig in the garden. They also make me want to revisit the possibility of getting chickens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. :) If you have room for a few, try a small flock of hens to see if you like tending them. The eggs are so worth it! Thanks for visiting, Lisa :)

      Delete
  5. What a lovely idea for a weekly post! I really enjoyed a thorough glimpse into your homestead life.
    The weather is only just starting to warm up here in the UK. I have seedlings on every windowsill and a few things (mostly radishes and herbs) in cloches in the ground. I'm thrilled to be still harvesting corn salad and kale from last year - despite the snow these plants have just thrived.
    I have been working hard these last 8 months or so to really improve the soil so I'm hoping for big things from my garden plot this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining me, Hannah. :) Sounds like your garden will be a thriving one as soon as the weather warms up. It's still fairly cool here, too, so seedlings and garden prep are it -- the warm weather will be here before we know it! Many blessings to you and your garden, ~Lisa

      Delete
  6. These are really beautiful pictures of your family and home. I think it's great when parents and children work side to side for a common cause. There isn't enough parenting like this in the world today! And I didn't see one cell phone or electronic device! Here in Northern California; we have been struggling these last couple of days with a dry north wind and some of our seedlings have succumbed. But, my garden has become my passion, so I am happy to spend time with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vickie, One of the things we LOVE about where we live is that there is NO reception for cell phones! We have a land line and of course a computer in the home, but not a one of us owns a smart phone. So thankful to, at least for now, enjoy the freedom of being free from being 24-7 connected...I just don't know how people do it! :) Thanks for your sweet comment! Blessings, ~Lisa

      Delete
  7. Such a fun time of year isn't it? We're off to the house to get our hands dirty tonight and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love, love, love the feeling of dirt on my hands and the sun on my face. Have a great time working!

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...