Monday, April 8, 2013

Spicy Ham & Bean Soup... {Homemade Pantry}

Discovered this recipe last week and just had to share...



This year we splurged and bought our Easter ham from Trader Joe's instead of from Costco...about twice the price, but healthier since TJ's hams are uncured. It was delicious, and at just over 8 pounds, we enjoyed dinner for 10 of us on Easter Sunday plus leftovers for the next day and about a half pound to go into the freezer. Oh, and of course a meaty bone for making this soup. My only regret is that I didn't pick up an extra ham to go into our freezer like my friend Shara likely would have. :)

Spicy Ham & Bean Soup
(inspiration here)

3 large stalks celery
1 onion
2 - 3 cloves garlic, minced
2 t. cumin
1 t. rosemary, crumbled
1/2 - 1 t. cayenne
1/2 t. black pepper
1 meaty ham bone (non-cured preferred)
1 - 2 cans black beans, drained
1 can white beans, drained (cannellini or other)
3/4 c. basmati rice
salt to taste

Remove as much meat as you are able from the ham bone and set aside. Chop and then saute vegetables until tender in oil of choice (we use coconut oil); stir in spices (except salt). Place ham bone and vegetables into a soup pot, cover with water (at least an inch or so above the top of the ham bone), and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for at least 2 hours.

Remove ham bone and allow to cool; pull meat from bone when cooled to touch. Add about 2 cups ham into soup (freeze any leftover ham for another recipe); stir in beans and bring to a boil. Stir in rice, cover, reduce heat to simmer, and cook about 15 minutes until rice is done. Adjust seasonings to taste and serve.

Garnish with sour cream and chopped green onion, if desired. This soup was delicious reheated for lunch the next day and I'm thinking it might freeze well, too, although we didn't have enough leftover to try it. Enjoy!!

~~~~~

It's been a long while since I posted a Homemade Pantry recipe, in fact, the last one I shared was our Easy Peasy Overnight *Instant* Oatmeal back in January. Where does the time go? It seems like there's just not enough of it to journal about all the things I'd like to here on the blog. I am hoping to get back to sharing more Homemade Pantry recipes as time allows...thanks for your patience, and thanks for stopping by! :)

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

Sharing with some of our favorite places...

The Nourishing Gourmet &

day2day joys Hearth & Soul Hop
Farm Girl Friday Blog Fest Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. That looks so tasty! I am always looking for soup recipes. I will file this away...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Spicy Ham and Bean soup sounds delicious, Lisa. It really is comfort food with the beans and rice and the lovely herbs and spices. I'm so excited to learn that you were inspired by a recipe you found at Hearth and Soul - that's the kind of community we are hoping that H&S will create :) Have a lovely week. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always inspired at your H&S hop, April. :) Thanks so much for hosting each week! ~Lisa

      Delete
  3. Daughter had to come see what I was laughing about.

    Now your turn to laugh -- I have two hams in the freezer and one in the crockpot. :-)

    I'm jealous of you having a Trader Joe's even remotely close. Our nearest is a 5 hour drive, not too far from the only Whole Foods store. I love the country, but -- sigh -- we rarely shop at either store because of distance.

    Your soup looks wonderful. We're going to try this with the leftover ham bone (once we scalp the one in the crockpot). I don't have basmati so I'll be using brown rice, but other than that I have everything on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny! Somehow I just knew... Five hours to your closest TJ's? Yikes! And I thought my 32 mile drive was bad. When you make this with your brown rice, just be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly. But I'm sure you already would have figured that out. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! This soup is soooo good! Even picky daughter loved it. This recipe is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it, Shara! And especially the daughter! Thanks for letting me know. :) Have a blessed weekend, dear friend, ~Lisa

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...