You know the song...
Anticipation, anticipa-a-tion is making me wait, it's keeping me wa-a-a-a-a-aiting.
It's been a while since I posted a garden or homestead update. I've taken many, many photos, but just haven't gotten around to posting them until now which really bugs me 'cause there's been lots going on in the garden. Sigh. The thing is that I love getting my hands dirty and working with my family to take dominion over this small acreage we've been blessed with. Seeing the fruits of our labor -- anticipating tasting the fruits of our labor -- makes all the work so worth it.
But even though we work, this seems to be a season for waiting: Waiting for the weather to warm up enough to put corn seed into the ground. Waiting for lettuces to produce enough leaves for a spring salad. Waiting for berries to ripen and flowers to open and herbs to fill our raised beds and planters. Waiting for the sun to come back and the cool rains to ease up. It was in the high 30s the other morning and only in the mid 50s throughout the week. My tomato plants? They're not liking this weather so much.
Other news from around the homestead:
- we've decided to not raise a flock of meat chickens this year, the reason for which I cannot share at this time, but the reason is an exciting one I look forward to sharing in the not too distant future.
- our laying hens have taken to laying a little later in the day than usual, and we're not quite sure just why that is. That they're laying consistently is a good thing whatever time of day it is, and so we're thankful.
- finishing our woodshed and moving all the wood piles scattered here and there in -- NO MORE TARPS!!
- putting up a clothes line
- finishing our back deck: trim boards and stairs
- landscaping the back yard which includes planting a shade tree as well as a lawn
PS: The hummingbird... so curious this fellow who has spent the past two days perched like this just outside my kitchen window. Just had to share. :)
Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)
Sharing with An Oregon Cottage's Tuesday Garden Party :)