Tuesday, May 28, 2013

over the weekend...

Memorial Day weekend was rainy and rather cool, but we did manage to get a little work done around the homestead nonetheless. My men spent Saturday clearing seven years worth of debris from behind our pump house...this area is the future home of a potting area and *hopefully* a small green house (the area to the left of the pump house in the photo below).


The guys also worked on our wood shed a bit...more $$$ is needed to complete this project, but, Lord willing, sometime this summer these piles (there are two more piles not in the photo!) of tarp-covered wood will be stacked in the shed.


AnnaLynn and I attended a baby shower at Christina's mom's house...it was fun to meet all her cousins and aunts on her mom's side. Only three more weeks 'til her due date!! Oh, the joy and anticipation of becoming a grandmama. :) We stopped at Wilco on our way home from the shower for some tomato cages which I took the time to install immediately upon arriving home since the rain had let up. I still need a few more large containers for my tomatoes, and thankfully, a friend is promising to have four to share later this week after finishing a landscaping job...thank you, Lord, for your provision!! An interesting note, I planted seed for 28 tomato plants this year, and all sprouted and grew! 14 were planted in one raised bed and the other 14 had no place to be planted, so the idea of using containers was the only option I had. This is the method my dad uses quite successfully, so hopefully, it will work for us, too. :) Sorry for the poor quality of the photos; not sure what's up with that. Now if only the weather will warm up a bit...
 

The Lord's Day was rainy, too. We spent the day in fellowship with dear friends...good food, good conversation, and lots of knitting. Oh, how I love spending Sundays like this. :)

Monday brought more rain. The husband and I enjoyed a slow morning over coffee since he had the day off. I spent much of the day knitting. *smile* And in keeping with tradition, we grilled burgers, sliced a watermelon, and dined enjoying the freedom that is ours here in America. Since the weather was so poor keeping us indoors, rather than dining outside, we gathered in the family room and watched Vision Forum's The League of Grateful Sons during dinner...


For freedom, for family, for good food, for the land we have been given to take dominion of, for good friends, and for the rain that keeps Washington green, we give thanks. :)

How did you spend Memorial Day weekend? For what are you thankful? Leave a comment and join me for Gratituesday!

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

PS: Watch for a hummingbird update later this week. :)
 

disclosure

10 comments:

  1. I like your neat and tidy raised beds (square foot) garden. Mmm, fresh red ripe tomatoes will be forthcoming.
    Memorial Day was a beautiful, unseasonably mild sunny day, here in Pennsylvania, just right for my two rambunctious grandsons who ran up and down our little back hill. They are more used to a flat Maryland.
    Today feels like a Washington spring day. Mild, light rain and everything bright green. (We lived in Oregon for two years.)
    Knitting sounds relaxing.
    Karen A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I remember you mentioning that you previously lived in the great NW. Other than a few weeks of early warm sunshine, we've been mostly rainy here. My anticipation of warm, sunny weather always makes me forget that this is typical weather for us... So glad you got to enjoy your grandsons over the weekend! I was born in PA (Pgh.) and lived for a season during my childhood in Maryland, so I know what you mean when you describe the landscape. :) Blessings! ~Lisa

      Delete
  2. I've had much success with tomatoes in containers. You should see quite a harvest!

    Three more weeks? Can we believe it? Four more for me. :)

    We too have the League of Grateful Sons and it's been a couple of years since we watched it. Of course this is the perfect time for a re-watch. Thanks for the reminder.

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you wonder who will become a g'ma first? Oh, the anticipation is killing me. Not really, but you know what I mean. :)

      Delete
  3. Things look wonderful around your home! Those tomatoes are AMAZING! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So thankful for the Lord's blessings! So hopeful for a good harvest later this summer! Thanks for visiting, Keri. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, that picture of the hummingbird! That is amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That shot was captured by my son! We've got some even more amazing photos to share along with a story. :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Lisa,
    I grew up in my grandpa vegtable garden and this is how he planted the tomatoes, using four bambu creating a pyramide. There are some good photoes here http://www.scattidigusto.it/2010/09/21/eventi-e-inviti-roma-disfida-del-pomodoro-lettera-dallabruzzo/ and here http://orto45.altervista.org/pomidoro.html. Tomatoes require hot temperature to become red and juicy, I'm sure this summer yours will grow up in a great way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the links, Maria. Our weather continues to be cool and rainy; we did set up some plastic to create a greenhouse environment for our tomatoes, so we'll see how it goes!

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...