Saturday, May 4, 2013

Saturday Morning Latte...
{Christian Heritage Conference 2013}

Saturday morning latte is a time to ponder, to reflect, to record the week's blessings. Why? Because time so quickly & easily slips by, and I don't want to forget or neglect to give thanks.

I plan to use this space to record each week's happenings, blessings, and thoughts. If you want to join me, write a post of your own and leave a link in the comments. : )


~ ~ ~ ~ ~

One of the true highlights of our homeschooling year is attending the annual Christian Heritage Family Discipleship & Homeschooling Conference in Redmond, Washington. Doug Phillips of Vision Forum was scheduled to speak at this year's conference, but as many of you are aware, Mr. Phillips was unable to attend due to the recent passing into glory of his father, Howard Phillips. In God's providence, Voddie Baucham was able to fill in for him on extremely short notice, and all in attendance were blessed indeed!




Highlights for me included listening to Mr. Baucham's keynote message entitled "Transforming Communication in Your Home" as well as Greg Harris's message "What do you have in your house?" There are always a multitude of speakers and sessions from which to choose over the course of the conference, and now that our kids are getting older, we chose to "divide and conquer" in order to get the most out of our weekend. The kids enjoyed sitting in on Dr. Jobe Martin's messages on creation (both Daniel and AnnaLynn are creation science buffs) while Dan and I primarily divided our time between Dr. Baucham, Greg Harris, and S.M. Davis.

Of course, the fellowship with friends old and new is always sweet. And I love that my kids LOVE this conference and look forward to it all year long -- next year's speakers, Ken Ham and R.C. Sproul Jr., are already booked! I'll be sharing my notes and thoughts on my favorite keynote and workshop sessions as time allows, but for now allow me to share the following gem from my notes...

"To know wisdom and instruction, to perceive the words of understanding, to receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, judgment, and equity; to give prudence to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion." Proverbs 1:2-4 gives us the biblical philosophy of education -- this is the "why" for the Christian. Education must be biblically based. "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge..." Proverbs 1:7  The goal is not worldly success!

Of course I know these things. I don't think I learned anything new this year, but then I have been homeschooling for over 20 years now. What I did walk away with was refreshment and encouragement to keep doing with renewed vigor what I've been doing, and all to the glory of God. And for that, I am indeed thankful.

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

2 comments:

  1. I believe that is why these events are made...to encourage the seasoned parent that has been homeschooling for quite a long time :) So glad you had a wonderful time my friend... m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria. There are lots of workshops to suit the seasoned homeschooler as well as those just beginning the journey! I always leave encouraged and looking forward to next year. :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...