Monday, May 20, 2013

Savory Shepherd's Pie...

It's Monday morning again; why does the weekend go by so quickly? We had perfect weather (mid-60s and overcast) on Saturday to get some gardening done as well as to do some cleanup around the property. Lord willing, I'll share a homestead update later this week. After church on Sunday, we enjoyed a delicious baptismal feast (smoked brisket!) with our church family to celebrate the baptism of yet another covenant child and then spent the afternoon relaxing in the home of dear friends. Life is good. :)

Today's delicious recipe is one I've had in my draft folder for a while since I kept forgetting to take pictures. Finally, I remembered, and so, I present to you:



This has been a family favorite for some time. It does very well if made a day or two ahead and is an excellent choice if providing a meal for someone in need (like a family who just had a baby!!). Adjust cooking time since it will be chilled.

Savory Shepherd's Pie
serves up to 8

meat mixture:
1.5 pounds ground beef (grass fed is best)
1 medium onion, diced (or 2 T. minced, dried)
1 c. chopped carrots
1 stalk celery, diced
1.5 T. flour (we use w/w pastry flour)
rosemary - 1.5 t. fresh or 3/4 t. dried
thyme - 1.5 t. fresh or 3/4 t. dried
1/2 - 1 t. sea salt
1/4 - 1/2  t. black pepper
1 c. beef broth

mashed potatoes:
2.5 pounds organic russet potatoes
1 - 2 cloves minced garlic (or 1 t. garlic powder)
1/4 c. butter
1/3 - 1/2 c. milk or cream (use more if needed)
salt & pepper to taste

optional toppings:
shredded Parmesan, sharp cheddar, or other cheese
freshly ground black pepper
paprika

Prepare mashed potatoes using your preferred method; this can be done beforehand or while preparing the meat if you like to multitask. :)

Lightly grease a 9x13 casserole. Brown the ground beef in a large skillet along with the onion; add carrots and celery and cook over medium heat about 5 - 10 minutes or until veggies are beginning to soften (check with a fork).

Sprinkle flour over the top and stir to combine; stir in seasonings then add broth.

Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes or so allowing broth to thicken and veggies to soften further; transfer meat to prepared casserole dish.

Spread mashed potatoes over meat/veggie mixture; sprinkle on toppings of choice.

Bake in a preheated 400F oven for 30 minutes or until top is lightly browned -- this one could have browned a bit more, but everyone was hungry!



Visit our Homemade Pantry page for more "healthier version" ideas -- save money and avoid all those nasty artificial ingredients by cooking from scratch. :)

Bon appetit!

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

Sharing with some of our favorite places...
The Nourishing Gourmet, Sarah's Homemaking Party ,
Frugal Days Sustainable Ways &
day2day joys Hearth & Soul Hop
Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. Yum! I love Shepherd's Pie. I've been experimenting with faux mashed potatoes (made with cauliflower) and my next step is to try them on Shepherd's Pie. I'll let you know how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't know if my family would go for faux potatoes...you'll definitely have to let me know how they turn out, Shara!

      Delete
  2. Your Shepherd's Pie looks delicious! I'll have to pick up the ingredients when I shop next. My family will love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you and your family enjoys this recipe, Karen. :)

      Delete
  3. Shepherd's pie is one of my favorite food. I was actually going to post my recipe within the next month. I think yours is closer to what would be served over in the UK; I use sweet potatoes, which are not used too often over there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting on the UK tidbit. I had no idea. My family isn't too big on sweet potatoes (except the youngest and myself, that is), so we'll have to stick with the russets. :)

      Delete
  4. Such wonderful comfort food! I like to add a glug of Worcestershire sauce to mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "a glug" -- such a wonderfully appropriate description of how to add Worcestershire sauce to a recipe. :)

      Delete
  5. Looks so yummy! We make a recipe that is similar, and love it. I will have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Erin. Enjoy! :)

      Delete
  6. It was wonderful! Thanks so much for the delicious meal Lisa. :) It was a big hit... Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks, Vanessa! So glad you all like it. :) Hope the baby and all the kids are doing well. :)

      Delete
  7. This looks delicious, Lisa! I like the spices you have used and the addition of the cheese to the topping :)

    Blessings, April x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...