Wednesday, June 12, 2013

hitchhiking with madelinetosh
{tending my yarn garden}



I picked up this skein of MadelineTosh merino light in "jade" while at Stitches West back in February, and it's been calling to me from my yarn basket. Trying to decide what to create with this gorgeous green hasn't been easy, but I've finally decided on a Hitchhiker. :) I'm thrilled to say that the yarn color looks exactly like the pictures...that doesn't happen for me very often! I'm still working on my Tea Leaves and discovered that my thinking it would be too small last week was due to not accounting for the future button bands. Silly me. This actually occurred to me after reading a comment from a kind fellow knitter...thank you. :)

While Pride & Prejudice is still on the top of my stack of bedtime reading, I am starting Michael Pollan's Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation which I was given as a mother's day gift. From the book description...
"The effects of not cooking are...far reaching. Relying upon corporations to process our food means we consume large quantities of fat, sugar, and salt; disrupt an essential link to the natural world; and weaken our relationships with family and friends. In fact, Cooked argues, taking back control of cooking may be the single most important step anyone can take to help make the American food system healthier and more sustainable. Reclaiming cooking as an act of enjoyment and self-reliance, learning to perform the magic of these everyday transformations, opens the door to a more nourishing life."
A more nourishing life sounds good to me. :)

In other knitting news, I'm super excited that my Cascades Cabled Mitts pattern is so, so close to being finished! Actually, the pattern itself is finished; the final step is getting just the right photos to include in the pattern. So thankful for my dear friend's daughter {hi, Jess!} who agreed to be my photographer!! The first two pics are mine, and the ones below them were taken by Jess -- aren't they wonderful?!


We have one more photo shoot scheduled for tomorrow and then, Lord willing, my mitts pattern will be available early next week in my Ravelry shop. Speaking of patterns, the beanie I designed to go with the In Threes Cardi I recently knit for the yet-to-be-born granddaughter (7 days 'til the due date!) is available for free here or here. Please let me know if you make one!


and just because...

an amazing shot of one of our kitties captured by my lovely mitt model, AnnaLynn :)

How about you? What books are you reading? What's growing in your yarn garden? Please share in the comments and join me at Ginny's.

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

PS: Today I'm also joining in at Frontier Dreams for keep calm & craft on :)

36 comments:

  1. good golly have I got yarn envy! That Jade is gorgeous!!! Love your mitts so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness - that yarn!! Suddenly my knitting doesn't look anywhere near as exciting...

    Your book sounds just like my kind of thing. Nourishing for the spirit of a Mama that makes a big effort as well as informative, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. checking out the books your recommended today, Hannah; very similar sounding. :)

      Delete
  3. All the projects look terrific! I agree with everyone else when they say "beautiful yarn!" I love the new patterns too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very lovely! The pictures, the different knits and the book sounds well worth reading ~ our food in this society is in need of real cooking!!! I will have to look at your patterns! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth. :) Can't wait to dig into my new book...

      Delete
  5. Ah, that yarn looks wonderful!, and the new book very interesting!....and the mitts are perfect! I love the cabling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and for the kind words, Keri. :)

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful color of green! Maybe I should try hitchhiker for my yarn-wanting-to-be-a-project. Lovely kitty too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked hitchhiker partly because the yardage was about right (I didn't want to waste any of that tosh...). Which yarn are you considering?

      Delete
  7. How exciting! New baby, new Ravelry patterns... not that the new patterns belong before the same exclamation point as grandbaby... :)

    Love your mitt pattern and the photos did turn out wonderful. I know they will be an instant success!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, you are so sweet. :) Counting the days and looking forward to seeing an announcement from you one day soon! ~Lisa

      Delete
  8. I have always wanted to try Madeline Tosh. It just looks so soft!

    That sounds like a great book. I will have to add it to my list.

    And of course, very cute kitty picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute kitty indeed! He looks just like his mama who ran away after weaning him (and his six litter-mates) last April. :( Poor thing weaned them and then took off. My daughter was pretty upset, but this boy looks just like her which is a consolation of sorts.

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful beautiful green! It will make a lovely hitchhiker. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Erin. I'm eager to see how it will turn out!

      Delete
  10. I love that green! I have become such a "green" person over the past few years... the color always makes me feel so peaceful. Your mitts are so pretty too.

    The photos by your daughters are inspiring... I have been considering letting my little girl borrow our little point and shoot and teaching her how to use it a little (with supervision). It would be really fun to see the world through her eyes and what she captures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green simply gives a feeling of calm whenever I look at it. I never liked it as a color until just the past couple years, and now I can't get enough. :) Thanks for the kind words about my daughter's pics; she's 12, artsy, and loves capturing life through a lens. :)

      Delete
  11. I've looked at Tea Leaves a number of times. So pretty but simple. I always pass it up because it has such a wide neckline. The green is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. such a pretty color!! love it....but love even more the count-down to new baby!! Passing along lots of love and hugs and happiness for that new little bundle of joy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your yarn is beautiful and you are the second person I have read today making a Hitchhiker, its on my list to do

    ReplyDelete
  14. so many beautiful things! oh how i love that jade (it's in my stash too!) it will make a lovely hitchhiker! congratulations on your pattern, but mostly the new baby nearly here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of the things I love about Yarn Along is that I get to find great blogs like yours! I just love that green, I think that your Hitchhiker is going to look beautiful. I think that Tea Leaves is going to be my next knit - now to decide on yarn and colour ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That yarn is so lushious, and your glove pattern looks really great. It is really worth getting the best photos possible, as I think they can really sell a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just finished a hitchhiker too! LOVE that pattern. Jade is a gorgeous colorway, it will look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That green! So want! :) :)

    I love the mitten pattern, well done you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow - lots of fantastic things happening here! I love that little beanie! I will have to look at the pattern and if it is simple maybe I'll give it a try. I want to make a gift for a dear friend that is expecting. :)

    Beautiful yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So many beautiful and interesting things, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Like lots of people already stated above, that yarn is to die for. My goodness...
    It reminds me of thick moss, right after it had rained. So beautiful.
    -Can't wait to re-shoot with Anna tomorrow! She is the best. model. ever. :)
    Luvs,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the green yarn...so pretty! It would be hard to find a good pattern to go along with it. I can't wait to see how it comes along!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely green yarn, perfect for hitch hiking.
    Those mitts are gorgeous. Clever you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's so exciting that your grandaughter will be here within the next few weeks!!! My cousin's being induced tonight/tomorrow. Hopefully, she'll be holding her baby soon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That yarn, those mitts, that kitty... Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love it all - the yarn, the mitts, the beanie, the cats! All very happy things!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...