Saturday, June 29, 2013

of big changes, list making, and summer vacation!!

I almost don't even know where to begin... As the title suggests, I have a lot to unpack in this post, so please bear with me. :)

For the longest time, years really, Dan and I have dreamed of having our own business, and that dream is finally becoming a reality!


After almost 20 years with Prairie Electric in Vancouver, Dan has taken the plunge and opened his own shop! As you can imagine, many, many hours of planning and prayer and list making has gone into this venture, and we give God all the glory for making it a reality for us. Ultimately, Dan's desire to "walk by the way" with our son Daniel has been a major influence in the making of this decision. How awesome will it be to have our youngest son work with his dad while learning a trade from one of the best! :)

The Lord's hand has been evident in each step we've taken, and His provision of help from family and friends has been a testimony to us of His kindness and care for us. Contact after contact has been and continues to be made, and we look forward to serving SW Washington with integrity for many, many years! Thanks to some very talented friends, our logo is finished and a website is being designed to share what makes us unique. I'll let you know once we're ready to officially launch, so stay tuned!

In the meanwhile...

Crazy us, we're doing the unconventional and going on a three-week vacation. Who does this sort of thing? Not us...we're really not big vacation sort of people and typically stay pretty close to home. Funny how the timing on all our plans has worked out so well, but then, not so funny, really, because we know (and have seen) the Lord's hand in it each step of our planning. You see, there was no way of knowing when little Charlotte would be born, and there was no way I was going to not be here to spend some time getting to know her. :)

Once she arrived, our preliminary plans went into action, and plane tickets were purchased! Our first stop will be Harrisburg, Pennsylvania for Vision Forum's History of America Conference!


I'm particularly excited to be going to Pennsylvania because I'm originally from Pittsburgh and am thrilled that we'll be spending a couple days there after the conference visiting family and going to Kennywood! I have the funnest Kennywood memories and can't wait to go with my kids!

Our next planned stop will be the Creation Museum just outside of Cincinnati. Other places we plan to visit include a Laura Ingalls Wilder location (yet to be decided upon) and quite possibly a detour to the Grand Canyon before heading back home to the Pacific Northwest. Part of the fun of this little vacation/road trip will be the freedom to decide just where to go and what to do! I'll be blogging along the way, Lord willing, so check back to see where we'll be, and if you happen to live close by any of our locations, let us know and we'll wave or maybe even say hello -- wouldn't that be fun?

This little sweetie will be a month old by the time we arrive back at home. I get weepy just thinking about it...



Many thanks to our son and his lovely wife for holding down the fort while we're away! We could not be taking this vacation without their help.

Big changes indeed! A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps. ~Proverbs 16:9

Keep us in your prayers, if you would. :)

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

PS: I have a new muffin recipe scheduled for Monday morning -- Chocolate Cherry!

18 comments:

  1. Wow! Such fun happenings! Will stay tuned to hear the progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my friend! I know well the road you are about to travel! Congratulations to you and your husband - what a wonderful adventure! Our children have gained so much in working with Frank at his electrical business. I will pray for St Joseph to watch over your husband and son as they embark on self-employment!

    Many blessings for you and your family
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers going up for you all. What an exciting time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a LOVELY time in PA. My brother {who just finished seminary} and his wife live in Pittsburgh and are involved in a PCA church plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so wish we were going to be in Pittsburgh on a Sunday so we could go worship with them!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely picture of Charlotte Rose! Congratulations on your new business - it sounds wonderful and I'm so happy for you all. Please do send a link to the website when it's up and running so I can share it. I'll be praying for you all as this exciting chapter in your life begins.

    Wishing you a fabulous vacation - it sounds really exciting and I can't wait to hear all about it when you get back. The conference and visits sound amazing, and I'll be especially interested to hear about what Laura Ingalls Wilder location you choose - I'm such a fan of her books! Have a wonderful time!

    Blessings, April

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, April! We have a laptop, but I've never blogged from it before... Yesterday I "practiced" loading pictures and creating a post using it, so I should be fine to blog -- a huge relief to me since I just can't imagine taking three weeks off! ~L

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much, ladies, for the prayers and well-wishes for our upcoming ventures! I'm so excited, yet it's Sunday morning, and I'm feeling a wee-bit nervous...three weeks is a long time to be away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ACK! I'm from Pittsburgh originally so "hi"!! I haven't been to kennywood in years but have fond memories :) congrats on the business, I wish you both success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I'll ride a roller coaster for you!! :) Thanks for the well-wishes, ~Lisa

      Delete
  8. Congratulations! by the way Lisa...you are going to be three hours away from my mountains :) m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria! I will wave when we arrive in PA on Tuesday! Thanks for visiting, my friend. :)

      Delete
  9. So many exciting changes. I think a holiday is the best way to begin - what better way to really get the creative juices flowing than by revitalising yourselves?
    I hope you have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful picture of Charlotte! SO excited for all of the upcoming changes! I love you my friend! Praying you have an adventuresome and restful vacation! :) J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, J. :) Having a great time! One week down and two to go. The Lord has been so good to us thus far in our journey...tomorrow we're off to Lancaster County! See you the first weekend in August for the big 50th bash for Dan. :) xo, Lisa

      Delete
  11. Congrats on the business. I so wish we could do the same in the "walking by the way" vein. I hope your vacation is absolutely wonderful and you return refreshed and ready to share. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonia! Thanks much for the well-wishes and the kind words. :) Walking by the way is something we strive to do, and the change in work situations is, Lord willing, going to only make it more of a reality for Dan since Daniel will be able to work with him. This has been a dream for years! We are praising the Lord for His kindness to us in the timing and reality of making this dream a reality. Blessings to you and yours!! ~Lisa :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...