Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Road Trip #1









Greetings from Pennsylvania! I have tell admit that I had tears in my eyes when I saw this sign. You can take the girl out of Pennsylvania, but you can't take the Pennsylvania out of the girl. Yes, I'm a northwesterner now, and I have no idea if there's a Dole Valley in PA, but I'm a Pittsburgh girl at heart -- that's just the way it is. :)

Our flight out of Portland late Monday morning was uneventful; it was the kids' first time in an airplane, so they enjoyed it quite a bit, especially the view of the mountains! We could see Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Rainier, Mt. Adams, and Mt. Hood -- amazing! I wish I could've captured a good picture, but the one I'm sharing is the best of the ones we took (Mt. Hood for those of you who don't recognize it).

Landing in Austin, Texas, to switch planes was a bit bumpy. This stop was a homecoming of sorts as I spent nearly a year and a half there way back in the mid-80s. No, I wasn't a Longhorn; I moved there for work. After an hour and a half in the airport, we boarded and were off for Baltimore for the night. We visited Fort MCHenry on Tuesday morning before heading north on I-83 to Harrisburg for the Vision Forum History of America Conference which I'll share about later this week. For now let me say after day 2 of the conference that is has been highly educational, inspiring, and motivating!

The photo of Dan and the kids was taken at the Fort with the Key Bridge in the background; an interpreter told us the British ships that fired upon the Fort were about 1/2 way between the bridge and the shore when they attacked. Touring the Fort and learning more about the history we studied this year is simply surreal -- I just about have to pinch myself to make sure this trip is real and that we're actually here! Such inspiring history! Makes me proud.

We found a Chipotle for burritos and a Starbucks for coffee outside of Baltimore which we enjoyed during our drive north to PA. :)  So nice to find familiar things to eat and drink! Tomorrow morning we're off to Gettysburg for the day; Lord willing, I'll share more in a day or two!

Many blessings to you all! Happy Independence Day!!

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

12 comments:

  1. Even though I live less than 1 hour away from Baltimore, other than driving through, I have only been there one time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah! Thanks for commenting. :) I'm having a hard time with the time change...I'm still on west coast time so it's 8 p.m. to me instead of 11. Hope all is well with you; I'm hoping to catch up on my blog reading once the conference is over. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello My Friend:) Welcome to PA!!!! It is so good to have you near my mountains. Enjoy your stay here. We are a friendly bunch :) love, m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the warm welcome, Maria. :) Wishing I had time to stop and enjoy a cup of tea with you or a nice walk along your river. In fact, wishing I had time to visit all my friends along the way! Can you see me waving? :) Blessings to you and yours this Independence Day!

      Delete
    2. It would have been wonderful to see you. Enjoy your time at the convention! m.

      Delete
  4. Looks like you guys are having fun! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like you're having a great time, too! Wouldn't wish that flight of stairs upon anyone!! xo, Mom :)

      Delete
  5. I hope you continue to have a wonderful time on your trip, Lisa! Wow, that photo of the mtn out the plane window is stunning! God bless you with save travels and precious memories of this time with your family :-)
    {{{HUGS}}},
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lori! Today is the final day of our conference and then we're off to tour Amish country and Philadelphia before beginning our trek west. Hope all is well on the farm! Blessings to you all, ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  6. I can't believe how big your kids are getting, since I started following you/your blog a few years ago. Sounds like a great family trip. Have great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO happy for you! :) Enjoy! J.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how neat for you guys! I am finally catching up on what you have posted about your trip! MISS YOU!!! Can't wait to catch up with you more.

    ((HUGS))!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...