Saturday, September 21, 2013

cinnamon rolls make everything better...
(and other random thoughts)







So, I'll admit it. I love a good cinnamon roll. And what I discovered this week is that cinnamon rolls make everything better.

The reality is that summer has faded, and as fall is literally just around the corner (tomorrow!), I've found my mood in need of a bit of lifting. For many, including myself, losing all those glorious days filled with bright sunshine can bring on symptoms of S.A.D. What to do, what to do? I picked up a bottle of St. John's Wort, that's what I did. And I made cinnamon rolls. Cinnamon rolls make everything better. But I already said that. :)

We finally got our corn into the freezer -- 12.5 cups in all. Not a lot, but it's more than we had before, and it will make a great addition to fall and winter soups and stews.

With the arrival of fall comes apple season! I cannot tell you how amazing it was to bite into a fresh, crisp, organic McIntosh this week. Delicious! We're planning a day trip to Hood River to pick apples after Jessica arrives; then we'll make this year's applesauce.

Thursdays are "in town" days. The kids have music lessons and are taking a physical science class with a group of other homeschoolers at a local church. This week they performed their first lab; their teacher is amazing! I sit in back and knit. I'm the only mom there, so it's quiet. And while I could be off running errands for two hours, there is just something to be gleaned by watching someone who LOVES to teach! It's going to be a great year...

And on this particular Thursday, we enjoyed what will likely be our last summery day of the year...it hit 80, so we spent a few tranquil hours at Lewisville after science.

Today it is rainy and cool. Tomorrow will likely be our first woodstove day as the temp is only supposed to be in the mid to upper 50s. Sounds like a perfect day for knitting. :)

Happy weekending,

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

17 comments:

  1. Cinnamon rolls do make everything better!

    I think it is great that you get to knit and observe the class. A win win for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A win-win indeed! Getting to experience a classroom type setting is important, I think, and I'm glad my kiddos are able to do so in such a safe environment. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh I do love a good cinnamon roll and now I am going to have to bake a batch!
    How exciting to have your first fire of the season. I spent the day at the beach so it will be a little while before a fire is needed here, but I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracey, it's the funniest thing. We have not yet had to have a fire despite the cooler weather! The house is still warm enough which we're all thankful for. Soon enough the stove will be going almost non-stop... we, too, can't wait. :)

      Delete
  3. Your cinnamon roll looks amazing!
    There's so much to look forward to in autumn and then advent follows. Personally I don't really struggle badly with SAD until January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how we love the Advent season! This year both my holiday bazaars are in November, so we'll be able to relax and enjoy Advent this year. :)

      Delete
  4. I haven't had a cinnamon roll for years....might have to fix that. Our weather turned chilly again and it was welcomed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't bake them very often, Karen, but sometimes a cinnamon roll is just what one needs...

      Delete
  5. Hmmnnn....your cinnamon rolls look AMAZING! :) I feel ya in the S.A.D. department as it's getting darker here too and the rainy gloomy season is upon us. Can't wait to see you and apple picking will be so much fun!

    Love you,
    Jess~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apple picking WILL be fun! Pick up some St. Johns Wort for the SAD -- it's supposed to really help. xo

      Delete
  6. Cinnamon rolls, corn and apples! I'm drooling:) They all look yummy:) I might have to make some cinnamon rolls to celebrate fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall is indeed upon us! So much yummy goodness all around this time of year which is why I love it. :)

      Delete
  7. I am familiar with St. John's wort since we lived in Maine. Recognizing symptoms of brain fog, etc., from S.A.D. we added two new windows on the south side of the house to let in more winter sunshine.
    Is there anyone who doesn't like cinnamon rolls? Yours look like the ultimate pick-me-up.
    Our days begin and end with apples around here now. I like McIntosh too. The local green McIntosh are crisp and tart. The lady at the grower's market told me they are bitter and only good for pies but I silently disagreed while making my purchase.
    Karen A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an ingenious idea to add windows on the south side of your house! I've not used St. Johns Wort before, so I'm not sure if it will help me, I'm really hoping so! We'll be visiting the many apple orchards in Hood River, OR, in just a few weeks and plan to load up on several varieties of fall's goodness. Thanks for visiting, Karen! :)

      Delete
  8. Cinnamon rolls do make everything better, especially if you have coffee or tea to go with them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always miss the sunshine in the autumn and winter as well. I hope you are soon feeling better, Lisa. Those lovely Cinnamon Rolls will definitely help! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Pouring rain and windy today, but it's a good day to get some things done inside. Thanks for dropping by, April!

      ~Lisa :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...