Wednesday, September 11, 2013

freezing veggies, still hitchhiking, and a new pattern! {Tending my yarn garden}

Yep, still hitchhiking. I think I'm almost half-way finished. :) I thought about working on my tea leaves this week, but I can't find it. Argh. Anyway, a few of you commented on the gorgeous green I'm using for this project; it's Tosh Merino Light in Jade by MadelineTosh, and I love it!

I've excited to announce that my Cascades Cabled Beanie pattern is officially finished and available on Ravelry! Here it is in lemongrass heather, modeled by the adorable AnnaLynn along with a matching pair of mitts. :)

And there are instructions for knitting a man-size version, too! Many thanks to my awesome hubby for modeling for me. :)  This one is in onyx heather, a blueish gray that is really nice.

Reading? Still reading my QuickBooks guide (yawn...), trying to finish the Jane Austen that's been on my nightstand forever, and trying to decide on which project to do first from Mollie Makes Christmas. But this week I've been reading anything I can find about canning tomatoes. Funny how the start of school coincides with the time when just about everything in my garden is ready to harvest: Tomatoes, corn, green beans, carrots, cukes, onions, basil and a variety of other herbs. While we do lots of canning and freezing every year, I've never canned tomatoes. We've picked some already, but we're experiencing a heat wave here this week, so most of the rest of them are ready -- tomorrow's the big day! Lord willing, I'll have some pics to share and a shelf filled with canned tomato sauce! And the kids? They'll be helping. We call it productive arts. :)

So how's your yarn garden blooming? Please share in the comments and join me at Ginny's. :)

Happy knitting!

~Lisa 

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

Yarns used for Cascades Cabled Beanie:

Lemongrass Heather is by KnitPicks: Swish Worsted 100% Superwash Merino Wool, approx. 105 yds.
Onyx Heather is also by KnitPicks: Wool of the Andes (worsted) 100% Peruvian Highland Wool, approx. 105 yds.

30 comments:

  1. Hi Dan and Lisa,
    Canning tomatoes has changed slightly (now adding acid to the process) and since you are about to can your harvest I thought I’d pass along my source for canning and all types of preserving. The National Center for Home Food Preservation

    About canning tomatoes link:
    http://nchfp.uga.edu/tips/summer/home_preserv_tomatoes.html

    Home page link:
    http://nchfp.uga.edu/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike! It's still dark here this morning, so we'll check out that link before we head off for tomato picking once the sun rises!

      Delete
  2. congrats on the pattern! Still loving your shawl :) I need to knit that pattern one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, cannot wait til that shawl is finished! Yes, you DO need to do a hitchhiker!

      Delete
  3. I think for all homeschooling moms that also raise a garden, September should not be the beginning of our school year... a thought? The yarns are just luscious! :) m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we always start slow, easing into school while wrapping up the garden and stocking wood for winter. :)

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful pattern Lisa, congratulations.
    Enjoy your canning. It's so funny how our seasons are different, I canned vegetables months ago and am now waiting on the fall garden to produce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting how different the growing seasons are around the country (and world, for that matter!). I have a corn bed just begging to be harvested this weekend...we've been eating fresh, but the rest needs to be frozen. Tomatoes are mostly picked, so that's done. The only things I have for fall are lettuces and peas. Thanks for visiting, Tracey!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on the patterns! They are lovely:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your pattern!
    Your shawl is looking wonderful.
    My garden is at a bit of a standstill as the weather has turned really cold, here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah! Our warm weather has turned cool with unexpected rain overnight. Temps aren't supposed to go above the high 60s this coming week...time to close the garden is drawing nigh!

      Delete
  7. Love the patterns!!! and happy canning....lots of hands hopefully will make for quick work!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the pattern! It looks great. I will definitely add it to my library. Your Hitchhiker is going to be gorgeous. Not to mention soft.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh the hat pattern is great- looks so nice...and your shawl- swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hat pattern looks perfect, and I'm looking forward to making several for Christmas gifts. Keep hitchhiking; I'm hitchhiking right along with you and I know yours is going to be gorgeous. I used to can ~100 qts. of tomatoes when my kids were home, but now that our nest is mostly empty, I take the easy way out and freeze instead. Can't wait to see your photos of your tomato sauce-filled shelves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonny! About the tomatoes, we had no where near enough to can 100 qts. I think we picked about 75% of our tomatoes and they weighed in at 27.5 pounds. I got 21 half pints, but it's 21 half pints I didn't have before! So thankful to get what we got!

      Delete
  11. Love the hat - the man's version would look great on my oldest son, I think. Congrats to you on all of your yarny goodness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. congrats on the pattern!
    love all your knitting projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Always so many wonderful projects shared at Ginny's each week...so much inspiration!

      Delete
  13. Oh dear, have your really lost your tea-leaves? hope you find it soon.
    Love your cable beanie, think it would suit my husband. I may just have found his christmas present idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here it is Saturday and I still cannot find it! Sigh. :(

      Delete
  14. Your patterns are lovely, hope your knitting turns up soon :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely green for the hitchhiker. Cute hats and mitts. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mistea! The green really is eye catching which is why I couldn't not purchase it despite the price!

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...