Wednesday, September 18, 2013

tending to my many gardens...


Still busy picking and freezing green beans, still a few tomatoes to pick, still need to harvest carrots and onions and herbs, and that corn still needs to be blanched and frozen -- tonight, Lord willing. Still tending to the learning of Quickbooks with which I have developed a love-hate relationship. Still loving working with my husband to grow our business and learning all the ins and outs of being self employed. Still enjoying the change of seasons that is happening all around me as the trees grow colorful, the days grow shorter, my kids grow older and more independent, and my baby granddaughter learns to chuckle. :)

While each day brings new tending to be done in my many gardens, the fact is that pruning has to be done as well. And while pruning can appear to be harsh, in the end, if done well, it bears good fruit. Last time I wrote about being present so as not to miss all the wonderful goodness that surrounds me, but I'm learning that in order to do so, I have to do some pruning as I simply have too much on my plate.Of course, when I get the chance, I find the calm of picking up my needles to be just the thing I need; so knitting isn't going away! Praying about what to prune and just how severely to do so. But I muse...

Knitting: Currently working on a simple beanie in charcoal for my electrician husband and Daniel, his apprentice, to match the work shirts the guys wear when they're out on service calls.

Reading: Picked up All through the Day, All through the Year at our local used curriculum sale this summer and am enjoying this guide to the church calendar and how to use it in building family liturgy. Very interesting, yet simply written.

So how's your yarn garden blooming? Please share in the comments and join me at Ginny's. :)

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

11 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see how your beanie turns out--love the color, looks like it has some blue in it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerry, it is a greyish blue -- I love this particular colorway!

      Delete
  2. I try to be in 'the moment' so as not to miss anything too. This life is flying by at warp speed and sometimes it's just hard to fit everything in.

    I didn't realize your husband was an electrician. My husband started as one and then got his residential contractors license. We have since moved out of the construction field, it is really bad here. I like the idea of having beanies to match work shirts, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another commonality we share...Tracey, if you ever find yourself in the Pacific NW, you'll have to get in touch with me. :) Warp speed it is!

      Delete
  3. Love the matching hats for the service calls. I try as I might to be in the moment, it works most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love for it to work "most of the time!" :)

      Delete
  4. I find that pruning, when it is done right, is quite painful but oh so beneficial in the long run. In life, as well as gardens, it is necessary to cut away what is causing the fruit to truly develop and flourish! You are been very wise my friend to see this truth in your life.

    Peace to you today...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beneficial indeed. :) His peace to you, my friend!

      Delete
  5. Isn't 'letting go' the hardest thing in the world??? and yet, it's the only way we can thrive in this crazy world!!! Good for you for recognizing it.....although I'm quite happy to hear that knitting isn't something that will be let go! Love the matching hat idea!!! and love your new mitts pattern!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give up knitting? May it never be!!

      Delete
  6. Great idea with matching beanies for work. Deb x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...