Tuesday, September 17, 2013

the view through my window...














Oh, there is just so much! So, so much to be thankful for. So much to see. It's all around me. Every. Single. Day.

To miss it is to have not been present, and I realize in many ways the busyness of starting our business has, at times, taken my focus away from what is right before my eyes. I just don't want to miss it...

School is back in session. AnnaLynn has been busy with her sketch pad and pencils and continues to amazes me. Daniel is enjoying learning code online. Both are deep into math and science and piano amongst other subjects. This year, with an 8th and 10th grader in the house, I am more hands off than in previous years. I really do miss the days of cozying up on the sofa together learning how to read, but those days are long past. Now I'm more of a tutor or guidance counselor helping them along the way. And it is good.

I still have a few tomatoes to harvest and turn into spaghetti sauce which is a good thing since our big tomato canning day produced fewer jars than I'd hoped for. Don't get me wrong, I'm incredibly thankful for what we did get! From 27.5 pounds of tomatoes, we wound up with 7 pints and 14 half pints. I know, you might be wondering why such small jars; most of our recipes call for just one or two cups of sauce, so this was the best way for us.

Our corn patch produced well this year; the final picking has been done and this afternoon is processing time. We'll blanch and freeze what we haven't eaten to enjoy this winter which is always a treat. The kids helped me slice up vanilla beans for another batch of vanilla extract which is now processing in the pantry. Homemade is so, so good and easy peasy to do.

Joy - the smile shared between my son and his daughter over breakfast. Precious. Love this!

A cool and foggy Dole Valley morning; summer is surely fading into fall. The last of summer's flowers which will fade as soon as the first frost hits. A single rose trying to bloom in September.

Looking forward to October when daughter #1 will be home from Germany for a three-week visit. It's been two long years since she left for Europe, so we are counting the days...

Blessings,

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

18 comments:

  1. Lisa, I really enjoyed your photos today.
    I wish we lived closer instead of on opposite sides of the country. I have a 10th grader too and it looks like our babies are learning the same things. Art is a huge part of our days and I see you have a wonderful artist too, and a leftie [we are lefties].
    The smile on your son and granddaughter's face is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracey, so thankful we can visit through this venue since such a large continent stands in our way otherwise. :) Lefties are common in my family; although I am not one, two of my five children are. Sending wishes for a happy week your way, ~Lisa :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, this is wonderful.
      I am a leftie and three of my five are too. Finally I am in a group that outnumbers the righthanders!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely view Lisa :) Thank you for sharing such a beautiful post with me today :) m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,

    The pictures were amazing! You have a very talented family, you included!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello lisa,
    what lovely view!!! i love all your photos.your tomatoe sauce looks wonderful.
    i wish i lived closer to you......i like your country!!!
    where live your daughter in germany?
    blessings regina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daughter and doctorate student son-in-law are temporarily in Munich. Wish so much we could visit them there before they are finished! Thanks for the kind words, Regina! ~Lisa

      Delete
  5. that visit with your first daughter is going to be so sweet! Take lots of photos and I do hope you have so much fun that your bursting with happiness!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bursting with happiness is exactly what I imagine I'll be doing. :)

      Delete
  6. Beautiful moments captured x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to receiving that yarn, Hannah!

      Delete
  7. What beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) Can't wait to see you, too!!!

      xo

      Delete
  8. Wow - Anna drew that picture?? That is incredible! Would she do a picture for me? Wow. Just wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! I would love to draw a picture for you.:)
      ~Anna

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...