Wednesday, October 23, 2013

October...




















October has been a whirlwind. While snow has fallen in other parts of the country, we've had one of the mildest Octobers on record here in southwest Washington. Temps in the low 70s have made for some gorgeous leaves and lovely days in which to enjoy them. Jessica's visit has come and gone. The countdown for her arrival took so long, and then the day for her to fly back home to Germany came far too quickly. Sigh.

Interestingly, we've had a nightly visit by a black bear over the past week and a half. Thankfully, our hens are fine. It's their food that he's after. Last night our poor bunny's cage was overturned; thankfully, she was all right. Kinda scary. Last night we actually saw the bear standing outside our hen house; he'd opened the door and was standing with his head and forearms inside scraping chicken food off the floor. I cannot imagine what the hens were thinking (if hens think, that is...). Jess was hoping to get a peek at him before she left, but he showed himself two nights too late. We did find a track that we believe belongs to him...what do you think?

AnnaLynn turned 13 the day before Jess left; we spread the celebration over two days. One in which we visited the mall for the ear piercing -- 13 is the traditional age in our family. We ran into my niece there, too, and captured a picture outside of Nordstrom. The second day we were joined by extended family for dinner and dessert -- sour cream potato soup and blonde brownies. Num!

Knitting has been hit and miss. I'm still working on my hitchhiker and my tea leaves. I tried to finish my pumpkin beanie pattern but it's still only in draft form which is just fine. I've been just a little distracted, don't you know. A deep, dark purple has made its way onto my needles, and a lovely variegated fingering weight has, too. I can't share the fingering since it'll be a Christmas gift.

Emotions have been running high the past few days. Tears keep getting in the way of my attempts to return to normal. Today was better. Lessons, errands in town, and catching up with bookkeeping are good distractions. Returning to normal is good. Sorting through photos is a good thing, too. So many wonderful memories. :)

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

12 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures, the bear would scare me. We have them here in Central FL, but none on our property so far. Is there anything you can do to deter them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Izzy, this is the first bear we've encountered in almost 8 years of owning this property. What we've read and heard is that once they find an easy food source that they'll keep returning. In an effort to change that, we started putting all our animal food buckets & containers in our garage over night, along with their food dispensers. With the bear opening the chicken coop each night we were concerned that our hens would be devoured by the local raccoon population, but thankfully, that has not occurred. Not sure if the coons are scared of the bear or just missing their chance at an easy meal. The worst was our bunny's cage being overturned since she's in there most of the time unlike the chickens who free range all afternoon every day. The bunny has no survival skills and was happy to be placed back into her pen. No sign of the bear last night! It is time for them to go into their winter hibernation, so Lord willing, that's exactly what has happened. We'll see what happens tonight...
      Blessings, ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  2. The picture of your three children walking through the airport is making me cry. I'm thrilled you were able to see your daughter for a short time. It looks like many happy memories were made. Your granddaughter's getting so big.

    13 is when my parents allowed me to get my ears pierced too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That picture makes me cry, too. We are so blessed that despite the age differences, our kids are all really close. :)

      Delete
  3. You are really blessed to have such a family and to be such a mother! I can see that is hard to see your beloved ones go off far away... God keep you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many good pictures to document such a wonderful time together! I miss you all so much and am so blessed to be able to call you my family and more importantly, you, my Mom.

    Love you,
    Jess~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos, Lisa...except the ones of your dear daughter heading back to Germany. :( But I ma sure you made some dear memories while she was with you. I have found that after our older children go home after a visit, the best way to handle the sadness is to get back into my routine asap.
    We have a bear, too. I rush out to get a pic of him when he's in the yard, and he runs away. Thankfully, he isn't interested in our hens' food, or anything else...just our blackberry and strawberry patches. :)
    Hope you're having a great week, my friend.
    Much love to you across the miles,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing normal is the best remedy, I agree. :) Our bear only shows himself during the night, sometime between 9:30 and 11-ish. No sign of him again last night, so Lord willing, he's moved on. We will see...
      Blessings to you, too, Lisa! Thanks so much for visiting. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh that photo of her leaving at the airport pulled my heart strings...We had a bear many years ago that did such terrible damage to our property while food searching. Let's say I was not liking him very much. The State Game Commission relocated him after catching him because he was destructive. Now our garbage cans and outdoor grill are in our garage all the time....that little stinker!

    Happy birthday to your sweet girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is the best photo, and even though it made me sad to watch my dear girl leave again, it was a joy to watch my kiddos walk hand in hand through the airport (even the 15 year old son). We've considered calling the state to come get our bear, but we're hoping he'll make his way into hibernation soon since it is that time. He was a no-show the past two nights, so maybe we won't have to. :) Thanks for visiting, Karen!

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...