Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Tending my yarn garden :)



Me thinks my chances of wearing my Tea Leaves on my 50th are improving! Working the body is simply back and forth: knit one row, purl the other... perfect for all the visiting we've been doing this past week (have I mentioned that our daughter is in the states for 3 weeks?)! The color in the above pic is simply horrid (mud?); it's more of a foresty green with browns and dark yellows which show so nicely here if you want to take a look. I'm alternating between my Tea Leaves and my Hitchhiker which, as I've mentioned previously, is another great project for social knitting with its 8 row repeat of garter stitch; row 8 is there just to keep us on our toes. :)  I was thrilled when I counted more than 30 of the little jaggies knowing I'm getting closer to wearing this one, too. Knitting makes me happy; how about you?

The daughter-in-law requested a pumpkin beanie for baby Charlotte the other day, and, of course, I got right to work. The yarn is Patton's Classic Wool DK Superwash in pumpkin which you would never know from the first picture which looks like a strawberry, but I promise, it's the most gorgeous, deep pumpkiny color. This is what happens when I don't take pictures until the sun is going down -- a photographer I am not! The second picture shows the color much more accurately even though it's not the sharpest...



I finished (finally) Pride and Prejudice and have decided not to start anything new in the fiction department until after the holidays. Instead, I'm going to enjoy perusing this helpful book: Cast On, Bind Off: 211 Ways to Begin and End Your Knitting which is almost cast on and bind off overload. :)  The kids' reading for humanities and science has me either listening (and knitting) or reading aloud to them...always learning! And the conversations we enjoy are simply priceless.

So how's your yarn garden blooming? Please share in the comments and join me at Ginny's. :)

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

40 comments:

  1. I remember the days when I did the reading out loud :-) Miss A. enjoys been read to, so I guess I still do it. Your knitting garden is truly blooming ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love reading aloud and/or being read to...I'm so thankful for this season and am glad to have a grandbaby to read to in the future! Blessings to you, Maria! :)

      Delete
  2. Such a cute pumpkin hat!
    I think I have a British version of that book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your projects are beautiful....but Charlotte steals the show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does, doesn't she! Would love to see a pic of your sweet grandbaby one of these days, Shara. :)

      Delete
  4. What an awesome little pumpkin... hat! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is quite humorous how we dress our babies in such silly ways, no? She's a cute little pumpkin to be sure. :)

      Delete
  5. I love your projects Lisa.I think that you little pumpkin hat is just too adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the hat! And the baby of course. I got a few requests for those hats this year too. Yours is a much fancier one!

    Your Tea Leaves will get done - I'm sure you will do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote of confidence, Donna! Since you completed your sweater/coat, I'm spurred on to finish mine! :)

      Delete
  7. Do you have a link to your pumpkin pattern? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Oh, I wish I did have a link! I made it up just for my granddaughter who is encouraging me to write it up to share, but time is just not on my side with doing so right now. Will type it up asap, though! Thanks for the encouragement! :)

      Delete
    2. Oops, I meant to say the daughter in law is encouraging me...the baby can't talk yet. :)

      Delete
  8. That may be the best pumpkin hat I've seen, especially because there's a very cute baby wearing it! I really like the cables (mock?) instead of the usual ribbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Bonny! The pattern is actually created with an eyelet stitch I used in a previous project and thought it would work nicely to create a cute pumpkiny texture for this beanie...I think it worked! :)

      Delete
  9. Youe Tea Leaves looks lovely! And that is an awesome beanie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous hat. I think that is the cutest pumpkin hat I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable pumpkin hat and grandbaby! :) Can't wait to see the pattern for the hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks so much!! I will do my best to type up my scribbled notes asap. :)

      Delete
  12. Oh my goodness, that pumpkin beanie is the cutest little thing - of course the model is just adorable! :-) Aren't hitchhikers the perfect "quick" knit? Love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she just the cutest thing? Having so much fun knitting for my 1st grandbaby and looking forward to teaching her one day. :) Hitchhikers are just about the perfect knit...I ordered yarn for a second one just this evening.

      Delete
  13. Knitting requests are the best! Love the hat, and yay for being so close to wearing your sweater on or before your birthday. I know you will look beautiful in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, you can leave a comment any day, my friend. :) Looking forward to finishing and sharing a pic! :)

      Delete
  14. you are s-o-o-o-o-o close to finishing!!!! yes!!! and the pumpkin hat is adorable---as is the baby!!!!! great yarn tending this week.....how your garden is growing1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So close indeed! Steph, I am knitting everywhere I go these days and am thankful my carpel tunnel isn't acting up. I am determined to finish in time! 50, here I come! :)

      Delete
  15. love your tea leaves! My friend is knitting one in a similar color!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful yarn garden! The baby is so cute in the hat! I love the shawl & sweater too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jen. :) Always nice to have several projects going to keep my hands busy!

      Delete
  17. It is always fun to take a tip-toe in your yarn garden. I saw "orange" as soon as your photograph appeared and didn't think "strawberry." The pip-squeak of a pumpkin cap is darling. It fits perfectly on the ever-so-cute, cutie pie. I do like the lace cable pattern you chose. It looks like it has a yarn-over in the middle of it. When I tip-toe in future I'll remember to look out for this stitch.

    Turning 50 is fine. But it can make you "feel" the numbering of your days and reflect upon earlier ones.
    Karen A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks for the sweet note, Karen. :) 50 is 20 days and counting... I'm looking forward to it for so many reasons and know what you mean about the numbering of my days. If I am one day closer to Heaven, I rejoice! Hope you are enjoying knitting some wonderful things for your grandbabies. ~Lisa

      Delete
  18. That little pumpkin is *SO* adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the little pumpkin hats and that little one is pretty cute too :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a sweet little pumpkin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just checking back to see if you've got the pumpkin pattern ready for sale yet--that's the plan right? Do you think you'll have it before Halloween? Anxiously awaiting it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your color choices!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...