Wednesday, November 27, 2013

giving thanks & tending my yarn garden...


So my tea leaves is approaching the finish line...sleeve #1 in almost done! You all know I was originally planning to finish it in time for my 50th, but since that didn't happen, and since Thanksgiving is tomorrow, I'm aiming for Christmas Eve. At this point, and although it's not the most convenient take-along project, it's going everywhere with me. To the kids' dentist appts., to their science and music lessons, to church (yep, I knit during Sunday School), and anytime Dan and I are in the car together (and he's driving). Lord willing, it'll be off the needles in another week or two. The rose colored rosette is for the barista at my local Starbucks who ordered it for her sister. Funny how you get to know someone just by purchasing a coffee from them every Thursday morning. I was wearing a chocolate brown rosette a few weeks ago, and she asked about it. By the time she had my vanilla latte ready she had placed an order. :)

The gorgeous Lana Grossa merino was a gift from my daughter when she was home from Germany; she did bring two other skeins home with her, but at the moment, this one is calling my name. I know I shouldn't start on a new project until my tea leaves is finished, but I just can't help myself. HA! Variety is the spice of life, right?

Litttle House in the Big Woods is finished, and I've picked up book two in the series. Lovely little books by Laura for Little House fans like me who need an easy read in the midst of full and busy days. I find myself daydreaming of a simple life like they enjoyed until I'm reminded that Ma worked harder than I'll ever work. It's really a romantic idea, though, isn't it?

All through the Day, All through the Year -- a guide to the church year beginning with the celebration of Advent and culminating in Pentecost -- is a book I picked up used some time ago and am enjoying perusing as Advent is nearly upon us. Although it's written more for families with younger children, there's a lot to glean there nonetheless. Having recently finished Of Plymouth Plantation, I find it interesting that one of the (many) things the Pilgrims opposed was the keeping of the church calendar. Sometimes the baby gets thrown out with the bath water, doesn't it? Thankfully, we have much to admire in our Pilgrim forefathers and should be thankful for their devotion to God which brought them to this land which we've inherited. But now I've segued to Thanksgiving haven't I?

Let me take a quick moment to say THANKS for each of you who take the time to visit me here. I am blessed to have gotten to know so many of you and want you to know you're in my prayers. :)  Wishing you all a most blessed time with your families gathered 'round your tables. Feast to your hearts content! And don't forget to give thanks to the One from Whom it all flows!

So how's your yarn garden blooming? What's new in your world? Please share in the comments and join me at Ginny's. :)

~Lisa

PS: Crocheted Rosettes are available for purchase over at my Etsy shop; I'm happy to take special orders!

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

15 comments:

  1. That is a great book! I read it when my daughter was little. I should take it out again. Your Tea Leaves will eventually get done. Knit what makes you happy. Have a blessed Thanksgiving Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah...my kindred spirit....I've just gone through two Alan Bradley Flavia DeLuce books (definitely YA reading) for a big of escapist, easy reading....and I, too, knit through Sunday School (although I do draw the line and put it away during 'big church' as the grands say!) Hope you have a very blessed Thanksgiving. Among my Thanksgiving blessings is our virtual friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your Thanksgiving is happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving, Lisa! I love the little rosette, and the color of that merino makes me very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your little crochet rose broaches! So pretty. The Little House books are my all time favorite books! Love them - I don't think I will ever tire of reading them.
    Have a blessed Thanksgiving Lisa :o)
    X Shirley
    PS - thanks for your encouragement on starting and Etsy shop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the whole set of Little House books, too. You might enjoy The Oxcart Man, too. It's a children's picture book about farm life in the autumn. Many thanks for visiting my blog, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. have a wonderful thanksgiving! I'm glad to have discovered you and your friendship :) I just know that sweater will be done by Christmas Eve :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I like to read the Little House books more than my kids! Right now my 9yo is into Nancy Drew. I am hesitant to cast on the tea leaves for me--I am trying to finish a cowl...LOL! Your rosettes are so sweet--I do not crochet and just can't quite grasp it so I may have to order one for my daughter's sweater:-) Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the rosette is very sweet. nice to get to know others out in the community.
    good luck on getting the sleeve finished. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous colour yarn. Deb x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you are on the home strait of your tea leaves!
    What a great way to get a knitting order. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is a blessing dear friend, to stop by and visit. Thank you for sharing each and every time. May your Day of Giving Thanks be truly blessed! m.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your wee flower brooch is lovely I am not surprised you got an order whilst wearing it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...