Tuesday, December 17, 2013

...not a creature was stirring


One more week 'til Christmas Eve...I'm beyond happy to have all but two gifts purchased! One will be ordered via Amazon today and the other I'll pick up when the kids are at their science class's Christmas party later this week. The weekend was filled with holiday fun and fellowship with friends, worship and the lighting of the pink candle on Sunday, and we enjoyed the blessing of Christmas music during AnnaLynn's piano/violin recital last night.

Presents are being wrapped (notice who that one in the picture is for?!), hot cocoa is being sipped, lists are being made (yes, I'm checking them twice!), and the baking has begun. I've never, let me repeat -- NEVER! -- had it as together as I do this year. Yesterday morning I finished our annual holiday letter and mailed off cards to friends and family who live in distant places.

After Dan left for work this morning, the house was quiet and peaceful since no one else was up yet.Taking time to sit by the fire to read and reflect on the joy and blessing that is Advent and Christmas, I came upon the following verses and quotes that are wonderful reminders of why we do all the things we do each December...
If we view Advent not as a season of penitence, but as a season of preparation, that is not because we are against repentance. We are getting ready, putting things in order, smoothing out the road (Isaiah 40:1-8). Advent is much like the time we spend in the kitchen preparing a feast. It is a time of anticipation and excitement, standing on tiptoe waiting expectantly for the coming of the Messiah. The angels brought glad tidings, and we want to live in such a way that we can bring these same tidings of comfort and joy to the whole world. And that can’t be done with a long face. ~Nancy Wilson

"When I think of Christmas Eves, Christmas feasts, Christmas songs, and Christmas stories, I know that they do not represent a short or transient gladness. Instead, they speak of a joy unspeakable and full of glory. God loved the world and sent His Son. Whosoever believes in Him will not perish, but have everlasting life. That is Christmas joy. That is the Christmas spirit."
~Corrie ten Boom

"...for He will save His people from their sins." ~Matthew 1:21

"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, goodwill toward men!" ~Luke 2:14

Blessings,

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

18 comments:

  1. Those are lovely words. I like the picture of the lights around the window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deborah...they truly are lovely words. We like those lights around the window so much that we keep them up year round. :) Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  2. I wish the merriest of Celebrations Lisa... m.b.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, Have you read Corrie ten Booms story? So very inspiring. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Izzy, I have read "The Hiding Place" and admire the courage and faith of this amazing woman! Inspiring, indeed! Christmas blessings to you and yours, ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Lisa! Too funny...you have never been more prepared for Christmas, and I have never been more behind, LOL! But that's okay, I'm at peace :-) Life is upside-down for us, and I'm just looking forward to having my dh and my other son up here at the farm with us soon :-)
    Have a blessed Christmas, may you and your family know His joy!
    {{{HUGS}}},
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peace is a wonderful place to be, to be sure! So glad you have it! Will pray all your men are gathered round asap; you and Brian have done marvelous things there on the farm, my friend! Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  5. You know I'm the most organized this year as well, it's a good feeling isn't it? Both kids are home now, I am keeping my running list near by and getting things checked off or added as necessary. I also did a huge inventory of food so I know what is in the freezer or far back of the pantry. I am ready! P.S. you have a beautiful cozy house!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Karen! Enjoy your time with your kids! :)

      Delete
  6. Looks like everything is as it should be over there in Dole Valley! I try not to get too crazy about it but I love to have things prepared ahead of time. That way I can really enjoy the season. Well, except the knitting, but that's my way of celebrating! Sit back and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Donna, I'm busy with knitting, too. Can't wait to share what I've been working on and to see what you have been busy with, too! :)

      Delete
  7. Lisa,
    I have missed you and the Lord brought you to my mind today. I wanted to just stop in to say 'Hello' and to wish you a Merry Christmas. May the grace, peace, joy, and mercy of Jesus abound to you and your family during this wonderful season and all through the new year! God bless you richly!
    Your home is lovely and so warm!! Wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, thanks, Jacqueline, for the sweet note! Warm wishes to you and yours for a most merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The older I get the earlier I start Christmas (knitting gift ideas mostly). How nice to know you are on top of things with your check list. I like your (new?) ornament of Pennsylvania - a souvenir of your visit here, perhaps.

    The snow on your previous post looks so pretty. Ours is melted - all but the snow in the woods.

    Corrie ten Boom has brought courage to my heart over the years. I read a couple books of hers and do remember watching her on television (believe it or not) on the 700 Club, years back. One of her books that is in our church library is signed by her, I noticed.
    Have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Karen, the ornament is in fact a momento of our trip -- a surprise Advent gift from my wonderful husband who bought it on the sly. :) We had another bit of snow yesterday morning, but it's melted away and now it's raining. I don't think we'll have a white Christmas here (although we did watch the movie last night). That is really something that you saw Miss Corrie on television; she is a woman I admire and look forward to meeting one day in glory! :) Happy Christmas wishes to you and yours, dear Karen!

      Delete
  10. Lovely festive photos! Doesn't it feel good to have everything together?
    Wishing you and your family a wonderfully magical and merry Christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My final knitted gift was cast off yesterday afternoon and now have only to wrap a few gifts and take my daughter out to buy a gift on Monday... It's been a lovely Advent for us and I trust the same for you and yours, Hannah! Blessings to you! ~Lisa :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...