Wednesday, December 4, 2013

tending my yarn garden...the Advent edition



With the lighting of the first purple candle, the reading from the Word of that long ago promised One, the messiness of the house as it is transformed and trimmed with our favorite Christmas books and decorations, and, of course, that holiday-inspired manicure, Advent has finally arrived in Dole Valley. :)  This time of year, more than any other, is my favorite. I do love fall, and spring, and the fullness of the garden in summer, but Advent is when it all comes together and the memories of years past fill our hearts and minds and bring our family together in the most awesome of ways as we celebrate and sing: Joy to the world, the LORD has come!

Our evening readings are providing extra time with my needles. The second sleeve of my tea leaves is growing, and I've got my fingers crossed that I'll be wearing it next week. :)  Trying to find the perfect buttons has been added to my to-do list -- do any of you have a favorite button supplier? Please share!

Reading is still Little House, but our Advent reading, pictured above, is the Tolkien book, a collection of letters and drawings he sent to his children pretending to be Father Christmas that is a real treasure! Christmas Spirit is a favorite collection of Advent readings, Christmas stories, ideas, and recipes that we use every year.

So how's your yarn garden blooming? What's new in your world? How is your Christmas shopping coming along? I'm almost finished, how about you? Please share in the comments and join me at Ginny's. :)

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

PS: hand-rolled beeswax Advent candles are available here if you are interested; Amazon links for the Tolkien & "Christmas Spirit" are below, click on the images -- thanks for your support! :)

14 comments:

  1. I hope you finish the sweater! I love advent and that feeling of anticipation-just like a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love advent too - such a warm and cosy feeling in the pit of my stomach for all of the loveliness!
    We're reading Christmas stories, too :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sweater is beautiful! Looks great, friend! Happy Advent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am typically a "wait until the very last possible minute to shop" person. However, this year I am working pretty much the 19th-30th with Christmas off. That being said, I have only made one purchase so far. We are slowly getting stuff ready for Christmas though and have just dug out the box with the Christmas books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like your tea leaves will be finished before you know it! hope you find the perfect buttons.
    Pretty much finished my christmas shopping - just waiting for it all to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for introducing me to JRR Tolkien's Father Christmas! I need to track down a copy of that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful sweater. I will have to look into that book. It sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, Miss Lisa - your talent amazes me! Love the sweater: and the perfect color as well!
    I, too, love Advent and all its anticipation for Christmas. I am going to look at that book, sounds perfect.

    Many blessings for a wonderful Advent season
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Tolkien book is one I must look into!! Thanks for mentioning it!!!! Good luck with Tea Leaves!!! (I love vintage buttons...and we have a lady who runs an antique shop in town with my same passion....the buttons sometimes must be of the mix and match variety, but that's still a look I love, and I can usually find something there. But, total frustration if she doesn't have something. Buttons are HARD to find! Good luck!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sweater is coming along so nice. I love how your candles look! I have to take a picture of our wreath to put on the blog so you can see. I just love them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your sweater is coming on nicely. Hope that you're able to meet your goal in finishing it by Christmas. I usually don't shop anywhere special for buttons, so I can't give you suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also have Christmas Spirit - it's charming.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wonderful sweater. Now that it is very cold, I'm wishing I had a fresh knit. Maybe by next winter! Yours is inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...