Tuesday, January 7, 2014

sunrise over a new year...


I have struggled to know just how I wanted to begin the new year. Like so many, and as in years past, I've scribbled down a list of goals for 2014, but this year in doing so, I knew things have to be different. Our business is growing and demanding more of my time which is a very good thing. In addition, my children are growing (up) and need a mom who is available rather than too busy. Lately, I've found myself struggling to juggle all the hats I've been trying to wear and feel a little like Bilbo Baggins who said it so perfectly: "I feel all thin, sort of stretched, if you know what I mean: like butter that has been scraped over too much bread. That can't be right. I need a change, or something.” Like Martha in Luke 10, I "have been distracted with much serving," and so some change was indeed in order.

Last week I gave up all my church volunteer duties, which was really difficult for me to do, and yet, liberating at the same time. This doesn't mean I won't still enjoy serving at my local church, though; what is does mean is that I'll be a helper rather than the one in charge. :) It's amazing how making even one small change can make such a huge difference! Being task oriented, like "Martha," definitely has its perks, but one can be so busy serving that the more important things, like people, get lost in the shuffle of to-dos, and far too often "just a minute" sadly turns into opportunity lost and regret.

Recognizing that each new year comes with only 365 days, that each hour of each day doesn't need to be filled with a specific task, I came up with what I hope are realistic goals with lots of room for real life which we all knows does happen. :)
  • Homestead goals include raising a new flock of hens for eggs along with a flock of meat birds with which to fill our freezer, installing a hand pump for our well, putting up the clothesline we bought while in Lancaster last summer, and improving our gardens.
  • Education goals include more reading, more conversation, and getting through algebra!
  • Business goals include growing our business and both Daniel and I getting our electrical apprentice cards.
  • Spiritual goals include consistent early-morning devotion time: reading, praying, memorizing, and journaling.
  • Personal goals include lots of reading and knitting. And I guess I'll be honest and add that I'd love to lose a few pounds, too. :)
Like the gorgeous sunrise Dan captured with his phone yesterday morning on his way to work, the future is bright and beautiful -- each day, like each new year, fresh and new and filled with opportunity. :)

This is the day the Lord has made;
We will rejoice and be glad in it.
~Psalm 118:24

Happy 2014!

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

8 comments:

  1. Lisa, I really do wish we lived next door to each other rather than across the country.
    That is wonderful news about your business, although I do understand the pull it all has on you.
    Your personnel and spiritual goals are exactly what I want for me too. And putting in a hand pump at the well is something my Mike and I just discussed last night!
    This is my last year of Algebra and I can't tell you how excited I am about it. Math and I are not friends.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lisa...I know exactly what you mean. I have had to learn to accept this time and relearn to be content with just what is in front of me. Algebra is not as bad... :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy your business is successful and there's nothing wrong in scaling back at church.ni did a few years ago and it worked out just fine. I've been doing my prayers early in the morning as well as a gratitude list, it makes a great start to my days!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lofty goals....but you have prioritized, and I know they will be met! such great news about the growing business.....and egg hens!!! but an electrical apprentice??? WOWWW you are my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful picture and post - lots to reflect upon. Thank you for sharing - helps me to think about my priorities, too. Best wishes for this new year - perhaps that Psalm verse will be the one that goes on our fridge this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you for prioritising. There will be other times in your life when you can volunteer your time elsewhere. I need to do more of this instead of running in a million directions at the same time xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharing your goals helps me to get started with mine. I like yours! Yes, I also have had to learn to say this scary word at church: "No." Yikes! Am I being stingy? Selfish?....No. I'm making decisions that help me to stay sane and balanced.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is sometimes very hard but very liberating to say "no". When my children were young and in school I was quite involved with their PTA and my church. Once I was dreading chairing yet another event and a good friend suggested I just say no. I was so relieved. I know how you feel. Somebody always will step in to take your place though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...