Wednesday, February 12, 2014

tending my purple yarn garden... :)




Last week while our power was out I enjoyed several hours of sock knitting by the wood stove in the soft light of our Aladdin lamps (you can read about that here if you want. FYI, I've added a link to info about the lamps we use for those of you who were interested). Valentine is the name of the colorway I'm knitting socks with (yarn by Premier Yarns -- Cotton Fair Multi)...isn't it lovely? This yarn is so, so soft and enjoyable to work with. My other purple knitting is Lottie's lilac Shale Baby Blanket which I'm knitting in Knit Picks Comfy Worsted (equally soft on the hand). Following the pattern isn't too difficult once I get going...as long as I pay attention to my stitch markers, that is. :)

I've been sorting and organizing my yarn (no pic this week) and hope to find a used cabinet (I'd love a corner cabinet) to store it all in. Thanks to many wonderful suggestions in the comments on how you all sort and store your yarn, I've organized it by weight first, then fiber and color. As also suggested by a commenter, I'm slowly adding my stash to Ravelry as it should help with finding projects suitable for each (!!). Gotta love Ravelry. :)  I know, I know...no new projects until my WIPs are finished!

Reading this week continues to be Psalms and Proverbs. We started a study of the founding documents of the U.S. this week and read the Declaration of Independence today. By This Standard by Greg Bahnsen was highly recommended to us, so we'll be reading it as we make our way through this study. Lots to chew on. Bedtime reading is still Little House which is wonderfully calming for wrapping up the day.

What are you reading/knitting/crocheting? Please share in the comments and join me at Ginny's. :)

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

22 comments:

  1. such cheerful knitting during the winter days :) I started a sock in a cheerful colorway and it made me quite happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, what lovely purple knitting projects! I am also knitting Valentine's inspired socks at the moment.
    I'm trying to be better at finishing things before starting anything new this year. I keep something simple for accompanying me out of the house and something more technical to work on in the quiet moments. Ravelry browsing is purely for fun, although this approach is making my queue grow rather long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sock knitting is so rewarding. I just cast on a pair to carry in my bag when I am out and about.
    I would love to have a corner cabinet for yarn storage too and have been keeping my eye out
    for just the right one, maybe I need to look for two? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much purple! It makes my heart just sing.... I am using an old glass case bookshelf we had but it's not holding all of my stash. I took pictures to put on the blog. I'll probably put them up on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such pretty socks!! Every time I read your blog I think "I bet we would be such good friends if we lived down the street from one another"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are not so far apart, Sarah...you are just over the Cascades from us! We will be visiting White Swan this spring, Lord willing. :)

      Delete
  6. What great purpley knits... I love the little sock!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what lovely knits!!! Love the purple!! Have a blessed weekend! Stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful happy colors - that blanket looks so soft.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The purple baby blanket is so pretty! It is such a great shade of purple, and I love the fact that it is not the typical blue or pink. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The yarn is very festive! I have been knitting with a lot of earth tones lately since we are expecting a little boy in just a few weeks but I am ready for some brighter colors. He may just get a pair of bright orange socks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lisa! Thanks for your comments on my blog! I appreciate them so much. Just wanted to give you a heads-up on The Goldfinch: there's lots of not-very-nice language and a lot of writing about drugs- selling them, using them, etc. Just so you know. I chose to wade through all of it, to read the book, but I can easily understand others choosing to skip this book. Just wanted to let you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa!! Will keep that in mind when this one becomes available through my local library. :)

      Delete
  12. oh that bitty sock is the cutest!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely socks! I also love all the purpleness!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your camera has captured such a pretty colored sock. I can't help but notice what a neat knitter you are at the heel and toe, especially.

    I find that I must concentrate closely to a new lace pattern for some time but after a dozen rounds (or rows) I get into the swing of it.

    I spied some beaded markers in a knitting shop. These wouldn't be missed on a row.

    ReplyDelete
  15. such cute socks and I love your blanket!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am hoping that I will learn how to make baby socks before another grandchild is born. (no one's pregnant yet). And that blanket purple is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous, baby socks. You're right there are a lot of socks about this week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your little socks and that book sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for including the yarn on the post! The socks are so cute…I may just have to find some for myself!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...