Monday, February 3, 2014

who can resist cheesy potatoes?

Cheesy potatoes are a favorite around here, but all the recipes I've ever used (or seen) call for frozen hash brown cubes and canned cream soup. Since we like to make things from scratch as much as possible (in full disclosure, we do keep some convenience foods in the pantry -- shocking!), I was thrilled when my sister shared this recipe with me after serving these nummy potatoes at Christmastime!



Irresistible Cheesy Potatoes
makes 12 servings

8 medium potatoes (boiled, cooled, and cubed -- I used red)
1/4 c. butter
1/2 onion, finely chopped (or 1 T. minced, dried onion)
1 clove garlic (or 1 t. garlic powder)
1/2 c. finely chopped celery
3 T. flour
1.5 c. milk
1/2 -1 t. salt
1/4 t. black pepper
1 t. parsley
2 c. sour cream
2 c. grated cheese, divided (we used cheddar)

Melt butter in a saucepan; add onion, garlic, and celery, and saute until soft. Whisk in flour then add milk, salt, pepper, and parsley; cook until thickened, cool slightly, then combine in a large bowl with sour cream, 1.5 c. cheese, and potatoes. Spoon mixture into a greased 9x13 baking dish (we like to use coconut oil) and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 c. cheese. Bake @ 350F for 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Enjoy!

Wouldn't it be nice if the potatoes in this recipe didn't need to be pre-cooked? I sure think so, so I'm planning to give it a try and will share the results when I do. :)

Bon appetit!

Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

Note: If you're in a hurry, you can substitute a can of cream soup for the flour and milk, but I don't recommend it since canned cream soup, while nice and creamy and flavorful, is really not very good for you...

Hearth & Soul Hop

12 comments:

  1. i was just getting ready to cruise around cyberspace looking for a casserole for the church ladies dinner tomorrow night....I think I'm going to toss in some shrimp or ham or something and use this recipe!!! perfect timing!!! looks super yummy. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would go with the ham...sounds delicious! :)

      Delete
  2. I make this recipe here and my guys love it. Like Steph was thinking, I add ham to it for a complete meal. I love that we are preparing the same kinds of food Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ham. I agree! And a green salad. YUM!

      Delete
  3. We'll be trying this one! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2/03/2014

    I make something very similar to this except I slice the potatoes and I don't precook them. It takes longer to bake- about 1.5 hrs. Yummy!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely try making with raw potatoes and double the cooking time then...thanks for sharing!!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. These would likely make a nice side to go along with those omelets your dh made for you on Sunday, Maria. :)

      Delete
  6. These sound great! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

    I found your post via the Hearth & Soul Hop this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I certainly can't resist your Cheesy Potatoes, Lisa! It's so nice to see a recipe like this made from scratch ingredients - seriously wholesome and delicious. Thank you so much for sharing with us at The Hearth and Soul Hop :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...