Wednesday, March 12, 2014

{fresh eggs daily and a little crochet}
tending my yarn garden...



A week and a half ago, the same day Dan and I left for our weekend at the coast, the kids and I spent the morning picking out 15 balls of fluff (aka chicks) up at our local Wilco. We've raised hens for years now, but each time we start a new flock, I wonder if there's a better way to raise the birds that will be providing us with fresh eggs daily for the next couple years. I was excited when I discovered this book and this website which are both full of tips and plenty of herbal recipes for naturally tending our flock since healthy hens means healthy eggs.

On the needles this week is the pink shrug I've been working on for Charlotte's Easter outfit. I finished the first version of it, made notes, and cast on shrug.2 yesterday while sitting in the car waiting for AnnaLynn who was at her violin ensemble rehearsal. Baby knits work up quickly, which is nice. :)  The green you see in the photo is the test crocheting I'm doing for a friend who designed a cute slipper pattern. I've worked up the three different sole sizes and need to get together with her to go over the next section.

Here it is almost 7 a.m. and the sky is just beginning to lighten...the switch to daylight savings time has made mornings difficult for my body clock (it was light out at 7 a.m. just last week...). Ugh. How about you?

It is supposed to be a beautiful spring-like day here today -- sunny and 64! Cannot wait to get outside and do some gardening. :)

What are you reading/knitting/crocheting? Please share in the comments and join me at Ginny's.

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

18 comments:

  1. Now that looks like a book right up my alley. This year my girls never slowed down the laying, but that has not always been the case so I will have to read this.

    I detest the time change! Really, just leave it one way or the other, but leave it alone. It will take me six months to get back on track, just about time to come off of day light savings time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. six months...exactly! Wishing they'd just leave the time alone...

      Delete
  2. I love the pink you used for the shrug! I'm excited to say the spring weather has made me feel more alive and I've actually been accomplishing a few things.

    Now if only I could convince hubby we needed chickens again....just a few...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. isn't the warmer weather lovely!! Looks like some great knits and a very practical book! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I have a Monday post talking about Fresh Eggs Daily as well :) Looks like we are reading the same book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good book! Glad you are enjoying it, too. :)

      Delete
  5. Raising chicks sounds so exciting! So many fun projects you have going on Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lisa, I am debating on whether raising (or trying) to raise chickens when we move. I've always wanted to and should have the room to do so. I will definitely check out that book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. another rough morning here, too....mainly because it's cloudy and windy and we lost our 60 degrees and have plummeted again to 40. Blech.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a pretty pink yarn. I had trouble getting up the first day of daylight saving time. It seemed like it was the middle of the night, but the evening was so nice with more sun time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know what you mean! As much as I dread the dark mornings, the sun shining in through my window as I type (it's just after 6 p,m,) is glorious!

      Delete
  9. Daylight savings time has definitely not been my favorite thing this year. I'm very tempted to stay in bed and continue sleeping because it's dark outside.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Daylight savings has me dragging lately. The kids are all screwed up with their sleep, and and so am I. Love the shade of pink...that's going to e a really cute shrug.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh the mornings have been so hard this week!! We just added 9 chicks to eventually add to our flock of 11- they grow so fast!
    I love your pink... so pretty. I haven't had enough knitting time this week and didn't even get a chance to write a yarn along post... maybe next week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have yet to switch to daylight savings yet, then end of the month for us. There is talk here of staying with it all year which means in the winter it won't get light till well after 9am for us. If the south it will be much earlier which is why they want to change it.

    I love the colours of your projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. so pretty and spring like! I love this month and how even though it's cold outside everyone's photos are saying SPRING!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your shrug is doing to be so darling and spring-like in that pink - gorgeous!
    I'm looking forward to hearing more about the slipper pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...