Wednesday, April 30, 2014

insomnia knitting... {tending my yarn garden}



Regularly waking at 2 a.m. makes coffee mandatory. I'm not complaining. At least I'm trying not to. There are a few perks to what my doctor calls "early waking" -- quiet time alone to think, read, pray, catch up on paperwork and email, and, yes, even to knit. Sleep would be preferable, indeed. But when sleep is elusive, it is far more calming, at least for me, to sit downstairs accomplishing something since I'm awake anyway. Night after night of tossing and turning is frustrating to say the least.

We have had some gorgeous weather in between the spring downpours and hailstorms (it's supposed to be in the 80s this week!), so I took advantage and sipped iced coffee out back on the deck while soaking up some vitamin D. Fresh air, sunshine, and yarn...nothing like it. :)  Other projects include knitting the different sizes of that shrug before sending it off for official test knitting (interested?), working up a swatch for a chevron baby blanket, and finishing a mother-daughter set of  777 beanies for Christina & Charlotte (photos courtesy of Christina's phone).

After hearing a radio interview during the wee hours one morning about Willing To Die: The True Story of John Muntean, I immediately ordered a copy (the book that arrived while we were in Seattle over the weekend). This inspiring story of a Romanian family at the end of WWII and their flight to freedom has been hard to put down.

Still making my way through A Tale of Two Cities as well as the Laura Ingalls Wilder books and am currently visiting Silver Lake which reminds me that we have it so easy! When I think back about how many times we moved when I was a girl (a lot), I can relate to Laura and her desire to welcome new adventures and change. Now that I'm 50, I'm content to stay put and want things to stay the same. Interestingly, when we visited Rocky Ridge Farm while on our road trip last July, I learned that Laura settled down herself as she grew older wanting nothing more than to grow old in the house Almonzo built for her. 

Looking forward to seeing everyone's projects over at Ginny's. What's on your needles?

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

22 comments:

  1. The little shrugs are just too cute! The book you mentioned also sounds really interesting. :) I'll have to check it out!

    Love you!
    Jess~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love ya back! If you read it, you'll have to let me know what you think! :) xo

      Delete
  2. Sorry about the insomnia, but it seems like you are truly making the best of it.....beautiful knits. I would be interested in test knitting for you; what would that entail? I'm sitting knitting right now before my kiddos get up - about to listen to a sermon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, thanks for the kind words. :) I'll email you with details...thanks for your interest! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I'll look for the email! Also, a spring peeper is a tiny little frog that makes a big noise. They are harbingers of spring in these parts; their noise lasts well into the night. We have a pond, so maybe that's why we have an abundance. My husband told me last night that next we'll get to hear the bullfrogs!

      Delete
  3. Wow...up at 2:00 am. I am sure that you have tried Chamomile tea to help you relax and see if you could sleep or awhile. Sorry that you have to go through this now. Are you sleeping during the day? Resting at all? Sending you lots of prayers my friend, so that you can have a good night's sleep. I know that there are times your body just shuts down a bit ... but knitting is the best way to relax overall. Unless you count sewing also! :D love, mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so used to it, Maria, that I just go with it. Sometimes I'm able to get a few winks in around the time I ordinarily would have woken up, but sometimes I just push through. I have an Rx that works some of the time; I've tried all the other ordinary herbs and teas, etc. Thank you for the prayers, my friend. :) Yes, nothing like the relaxation of slipping stitch after stitch, wrapping yarn around needles, creating beautiful things, and redeeming the time. :) xo

      Delete
  4. I've had a bought or two of insomnia myself. I'd prefer sleep as I pay for my lack of sleep later in the afternoon. Love the shrugs! You are so gifted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Izzy! I would take sleep any day over the insomnia! :) Thanks for the kind words. :)

      Delete
  5. Lisa, it really is a shame we aren't neighbors, we could knit the night hours away together. Sleep? It doesn't happen much for me either, sigh.
    Thank you so much for the book recommendation, Willing to Die, I will have to order a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sleep has settled and I sleep better, I wish the same for you! Lucky for me I don't mind laying around waiting for the sleep to return when I do wake up. Lovely knits, so many pretty projects in spring colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute shrugs! I searched and searched for something like that back in the fall. And the chevron blanket is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. very cute knitting! sorry for the insomnia :( I've had that too.... Wishing you all of God's blessings and strength! and sleep!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes to being interested in a test knit of that adorable shrug! Email me details- I am wondering if it goes up to sz 5, but if not, I have plenty of other size options in this house, haha!!

    I struggled with anxiety related insomnia last year for some time and it was so frustrating! For now it seems to have passed but I had never experienced anything like it, always being able to sleep well before that (er, as well as one does with 2 under 2 at that point). Now I wonder if my body will remember how to sleep through the night after my kids are all older...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh you poor thing Lisa. My hubby wakes regularly at 2AM. He is usually exhausted by 7 PM. You are making the most of it though by being productive! Great attitude. There are so many beautiful projects you have here. Now go and enjoy some of that sun and coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll be praying for you. I've been blessed to sleep well during my pregnancy, but I know the day will soon come when I'll be up with a baby during the night. I'll have to check out that book; it sounds very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A true gift the shrugs are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally understand the insomnia and the need to be productive rather than toss and turn. I find if I get a daily 1 1/2 to 2 mile walk I sleep better. Not always possible though. I love those shrugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry to hear about the insomnia.

    I haven't been sleeping very well the past two weeks either. Stuffy nose and coughing will do that to you! ;-)

    Love the knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry you aren't sleeping... been there done that... the knitting looks great though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your yarn garden .My goodness your shrugs are so cute. Have a lovely day

    ReplyDelete
  17. my early morning insomnia attacks usually result in online yarn shopping!!!! you are much more productive than I am!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...