Saturday, July 19, 2014

around the homestead...

Welcome to my long-overdue, photo-heavy homestead update...

The first supermarket supposedly appeared
on the American landscape in 1946.
 That is not very long ago. Until then, where was all the food?
 Dear folks, the food was in homes, gardens, local fields, and forests.
 It was near kitchens, near tables, near bedsides.
 It was in the pantry, the cellar, the backyard.
~Joel Salatin

green beans a couple weeks ago:

and green beans today; no beans yet, but lots of promise :)

field flowers captured by AnnaLynn...

both our Polish turned out to be roosters...so disappointing :(  They begin crowing at 5 a.m. -- who needs an alarm clock? I don't mind them, but Dan thinks they need to go...

this spring's new hens have begun laying...

another artsy AnnaLynn picture...  our Shasta Daisies are in full bloom and are gorgeous!

home-raised eggs, leftover sausage gravy, and hot coffee...what a perfect way to start the day :)

lemon balm, cilantro, sage, oregano, basil, and chamomile...

I love the way herb bundles look drying in the window.

carrots a few weeks ago...

and carrots today...we grow them intermixed with our tomatoes which seems to be a good relationship. :)

the first of our meat birds to be cooked...I always have to wait at least a week or two after "processing" to cook one otherwise I get sorta creeped out. This one was cooked from frozen in the crockpot and was absolutely delicious :)

flowering peas...my favorite of all the vegetable flowers.

ready for harvest...I saved some for seed! Lord willing, they'll actually grow.

our apple trees were full of blossoms this spring, but these two are the only fruit we have to show for them. We're planning to pick them, slice each in half, and that way the four of us will each get to enjoy the first fruits from these trees. Looking forward to more next year, LW.

Romaine growing with onion... another good companion planting relationship.

raspberries ripe for picking!

our humble corn patch...

delicious!

cukes are coming on...

French Crisp...our lettuces have done better this year than in any year previous. Loving fresh salads every. single. day.

onions...

moved our old bench under the tulip tree which was so tiny when we planted it during our first year here. One day it will be huge and it will bloom and it will be gorgeous!

Purple coneflower, aka Echinacea, which is ready for harvest. I've not made my own tincture before, but I'm excited to try (stay tuned).

basil...what a delicious fragrance!

and, finally, lavender. I have a few dried bundles from this year's harvest for sale in my shop, if you're interested. :)

A fresh batch of lavender soap is curing and lavender sachets are in the works, too; both of which should be available in the shop soon.

The greatest fine art of the future
 will be the making of a comfortable living
 from a small piece of land.
~Abraham Lincoln
 
Enjoying summer and the bounty of the garden! Praising God for His goodness and provision. :)

How are your gardens growing?

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

10 comments:

  1. Do you make tea with the chamomile? What do you do with the lemon balm? I love your toenail polish! Thanks for all the pictures that I viewed while relaxing after our Sunday lunch replete with blueberry cobble (a u-pick patch is fairly close) and homemade vanilla ice cream :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, yes, indeed, I make tea with my chamomile. I do the same with my peppermint and am growing lemon balm this year for tea as well. We picked blueberries at a local farm last week ($1 per pound which is super cheap around here); we are making blueberry buckle and homemade vanilla ice cream -- how funny is that? Hope you enjoyed your Lord's Day! :)

      Delete
  2. what a garden! photo after photo I was amazed at what you're growing and wishing I could have a taste of everything that was green (esp green beans!). Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Karen, I will think of you when I do pick some beans! If you didn't live so far away, I'd send some your way. :)

      Delete
  3. Your garden is amazing! Everything you're growing looks soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Darcel! We've had an amazing growing season thus far; such a blessing! Thanks for visiting. :)

      Delete
  4. Everything looks so fresh and bountiful! What a blessed harvest you are going to reap my friend. :=) mari

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden looks awesome! I love the idea of hanging the herbs to dry. And it must make the house smell lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely garden for sure! Nice job. Great pictures AnnaLynn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such lovely pictures of your garden! I was feeling so discouraged about my garden the other day since I had so many plans for it that are just going by the wayside...our corn isn't doing great and I didn't plant nearly as much as I intended but never got a chance to go put more in the ground... and our carrots, of all things, did terribly this year - only about 9 grew out of the whole carrot patch, so I yanked them, piled in some compost this morning and will try planting a fall crop of carrots soon. I love your herbs, that is another thing I have struggled to get growing here. I don't have as green of a thumb as I wish for but I think some of it is practice and this is really only my second real year with a true garden... so I need to have patience with myself! I just keep picturing the kind of harvest and food storage in Little House in the Big Woods/Farmer Boy with such longing! Ha!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...