Wednesday, July 16, 2014

tending my yarn garden...



Recent yarn projects include the completion of my baby shrug pattern (the pink above) which is receiving final touches and should be available through KnitPicks and Ravelry soon!! :)  For Charlotte's b-day, I knit her a chicken since she enjoyed our layers and likes to cluck when asked what a chicken says -- soooo cute! I also crocheted a colorful bunting for the wall above her crib using yarn leftover from a poncho I crocheted for AnnaLynn a couple years ago. In other KPs news, I am working as fast as my fingers will allow to complete the patterns for this, and this, and this. :) 

While we were at the coast over the Independence Day weekend, I visited a LYS and picked up a couple skeins of yarn, (of course!). The green will be a baby beanie (special request) and the other, I'm just not sure yet. Any suggestions? It's a worsted weight linen/cotton blend.

I finally finished Willing To Die by John Muntean -- the inspiring true story about the Muntean family's experience living in Romania after the close of WWII which includes the impact of communism on their beloved country. Sharing how his faith in God enabled him to survive the difficulties of food shortages and life in a police state, Mr. Muntean ultimately was willing to die for his family's freedom. By the grace of God, they do, in fact, escape Romania for the United States, a move Mr. Muntean made to ensure religious freedom and a future for his children and grandchildren. The book closes with warnings for Americans from one who experienced the loss of freedom in Romania as well as an update on how his family has faired in the years since they arrived in the states (interestingly, one of his children makes their home not far from here in Portland, Oregon).

The Nazi Officer's Wife by Edith Hahn Beer is, so far, a book I'm having a hard time putting down. The true story of a young Jewish woman living in Austria as the Nazis come to power, Edith shares the day-to-day impact of a life turned upside down and how she survived. I'm almost halfway through and look forward each day to sneaking out to the comfortable shade of my front porch to read a few pages. I cannot imagine...

On the Way Home by Laura Ingalls Wilder, the diary Laura kept during her and Almonzo's move from Dakota to Missouri, is the last of my Little House reading, at least for now. I sure do wish I'd reread all Laura's books before visiting Rocky Ridge Farm last July.

What's on your needles? What have you been reading?
Joining Ginny  :)

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

19 comments:

  1. You have some lovely projects Lisa. The little pink shrug is so pretty and how cute to knit a chicken.
    I think the worsted weight yarn would make a great looking cowl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what eye candy....great looking yarn! (chicken?? makes me smile!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I can't wait for the shrug pattern!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your recent reading sounds very interesting. Beautiful yarn too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, I can't get over the cute little chicken. It's perfect! The books sound like very interesting reads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to see you back; I replied on my blog but I know people don't always check back! Your patterns are so cute - I am on the hunt for the perfect button for the little shrug of yours I knit but Yakima just has a verrrry poor selection of buttons which I now know after hunting awhile so I am resorting to etsy in hopes the colors will match. Your little chicken is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you had a great vacation! I love using Berroco yarn so I am excited to see what you'll make! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure did miss ya! Lovely knits and glad to know you've been busy living life :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty pretty yarn! The books sound really interesting as well! I am still working on a scarf for my little girl...at least I know it won't be cold for a few more months so I can finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely knits! I have never read On the Way Home, I will have check that out. I am reading the Little House books to my oldest right now. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful knits and yarn. I especially like the variegated bottom yarn. I am looking forward to those patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful yarn and I really appreciated your book reviews. I will look into them. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lisa! Your books sound very interesting. I will have to look for them at my library. I have not read that LIW book yet, I will have to look for that one too! :o)

    I am knitting a Zuzu's petals out of Linsey in a different colorway. It's nice to knit with. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that pale pink... good luck with your dishcloths!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lisa,
    Congratulations on being published soon and that bottom multi color yarn is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always love stopping by..so pretty with all the yummy colors! I love to read, too, and think your suggestions sound worthy of the time! I am just finishing Gifted Hands about Ben Carson. Have a restful and fantastic Sunday, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful yarn, Lisa. :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...